New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 Light Rays are bad

benplacebenplace Posts: 769
Neo
I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

Comments

• TrytipedTrytiped Posts: 267
    Nexus 6
    How much time have you put into adjusting the lenses and headset straps?
    giphy.gif
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 769
    Neo
    I have spent quite a bit of time getting the fit right and I do see it in games as well as logo screens.  Whenever there is blackness with any lit object in front of it...
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    I wonder if the lenses have defects? Are you able to take a picture through it and post it?
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    Well that makes two sets of lenses. My Rift had the same problems. It's something you can't just ignore and look past to the experience unlike SDE, because it literally covers up the images. Some people can ignore it, some people will hate it, but the fact remains that Rifts do have this problem.
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,817 Valuable Player
    benplace said:
    I got my Rift yesterday and the smearing/light rays on CV1 are WAY WAY worse than what I was expecting from reviews I have read...
    I really hope they come up with a way to fix this.  Playing Farlands the logo is smeared horribly, I even get smearing in the home environment where lights are around the room.  It is so bad I am embarrassed to show CV1 to my brother when he comes over this weekend.  (He has seen my DK2 without the problem)

Is the Farlands logo present throughout the game - i have played it but can't remember?

Places i've found the light rays - at the end of Henry - the credits - white on black, and in Oculus Video around the screens.

Therefore, credits, logos, yes, i'm utterly embarrassed about them and i won't show them to the friends i am trying to impress, but i'll live.  Oculus Video - that needs sorting out.
  • NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    But are these caused by defect lenses ? If yes we should get them freely replaced .. Are they detachable by the way ?
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    NjayNL said:
    But are these caused by defect lenses ? If yes we should get them freely replaced .. Are they detachable by the way ?
    No, it's not a defect.  It's an unfortunate side effect of the laws of physics, not faulty lenses.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,074 Valuable Player
    No. Not looking at the tear down video
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,817 Valuable Player
    NjayNL said:

It seems it is just the way it is.  Most people who have mentioned it say it doesn't bother them, unfortunately it will bother others much more - maybe VR isn't for them just yet.  Hopefully the tech will improve over time.
  • NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    True indeed ! Well i still enjoy my time in vr every minute ! 
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,076 Valuable Player
    Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
  • comixcrozcomixcroz Posts: 210
    Art3mis
    Wildt said:
    Welcome to the world of fresnel lenses. I agree it's FAR worse than ANY review sites ever described.

My personal disappointment is wearing off, as I'm getting used to it, but it IS so bad that I almost feel that the visuals are a sidestep from DK2 more than an upgrade.
    I think that's the piece that makes people so upset.  Obviously it was not a requirement for VR gaming, the DK 2 does not have this issue.  
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    I've noticed them, but to be honest, I hardly ever notice them when I'm in a game. It's mostly on loading screens. :) 
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,225 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016

@comixcroz, that's a difficult call... I assume it was a design call when putting together the DK2 that conventional lenses could do the job ok... and they do... but conventional lenses suffer from chromatic aberrations, and a smaller sweet spot. CV1's composites which include the Fresnels don't suffer from those things but instead have the light rays.

Personally I prefer the latter but everyone has their own opinion.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,063 Oculus Start Member
    whoa182 said:
    I've noticed them, but to be honest, I hardly ever notice them when I'm in a game. It's mostly on loading screens. :) 
    Absolutely the same. Infact it's hard for me to completely understand how people are able to see them so much while playing. I just don't see them at all while playing.

Probably the only real situations where i see them are a bit in the Oculus home (and doesn't seem annoying but just an effect ) and with black background and white text.. Which bother me even less since those are just texts usually of games intro or similar.
    Neo
    I wish I knew of a place I could try one to make sure the amount of smear I see is normal on mine...
  • comixcrozcomixcroz Posts: 210
    Art3mis

@comixcroz, that's a difficult call... I assume it was a design call when putting together the DK2 that conventional lenses could do the job ok... and they do... but conventional lenses suffer from chromatic aberrations, and a smaller sweet spot. CV1's composites which include the Fresnels don't suffer from those things but instead have the light rays.

Personally I prefer the latter but everyone has their own opinion.

I hope I'm in the same camp.  I only have the DK2 and I've been very happy with it.  I haven't had any of the sweet spot or chromatic aberrations problems though.  Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing until I try the CV1.   
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,225 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016
    you may have just got used to them to the point you no longer see them! which is a good indicator you'd get used to the light rays also
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.476)
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    blanes said:
    I do not think it is in the best interest of any Rift owner, future or present, to dismiss these people having serious issues with the lenses.  For all we know there actually is some CV1 units (not all) that have serious defects in the fresnel lenses.  This is possibly the unstated reason for the component delays.  Oculus need to make an unambiguous statement to the effect that there is absolutely no problem with the lenses and then have a simple test or process for those customers having problems to find out if their lenses are faulty or not.
    No, this is how they all are, every single Rift that every person has has this problem, it is not a defect in the fresnel lenses but a biproduct of how they work. Every Vive also has this issue too (though the effect looks different on Vive). Bright colors hit the rings in the lens and the color not only goes out towards your eye but also sideways until it hits the next ring, which sends it further sideways until it hits the next ring, etc.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    As Dreamwriter said, the flares are a side-effect of the Fresnel lenses.  The Vive's lens ridges are a little more spaced apart so the flares have gaps in them and aren't as pronounced as the Rift flares.  They tend to show up mostly in high-contrast situations (black background with lightly colored objects).  The highly mitigated screendoor usually keeps my attention on the action instead of the flares for the most part.  I just pretend the light is reflecting off my helmet visor B)
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • dinorogerdinoroger Posts: 196
    Art3mis
    Do the rays go away when closing your eyes. if so then troubleshooting rules state the problem must be with your eyes. JK

So there were other posts where people were going to try different type of sun glasses to see if the it helped. Does anyone know what the outcome of those tests were. I would gladly test if oculus would ever send me my CV1 I ordered within 5 minutes of the store going live.
  • L.E.D.BLUEL.E.D.BLUE Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am so confused how people are embarassed of a product they bought or how they are trying to impress someone with a product they had zero to do with.  "Here is my RIft. Are you impressed? Phew I was so worried that this would be personally embarrassing when you dealt with the laws of physics in a product designed by strangers who then sold it to me for money."
    Neo
    I am so confused how people are embarassed of a product they bought or how they are trying to impress someone with a product they had zero to do with.  "Here is my RIft. Are you impressed? Phew I was so worried that this would be personally embarrassing when you dealt with the laws of physics in a product designed by strangers who then sold it to me for money."
    Embarrassed that you spent 600$ on a product that looks like you are looking through a fog?  My brother is pretty critical and I know the first thing he will point out is the smearing.  He's coming to town tomorrow, let's see if I am right...
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    Good thing I don't have friends/family who are that specifically judgmental.  

"Make sure you give that HMD a good dusting before company arrives!"
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    This keeps me wondering what alternatives they discarded if this is the one with the best trade-off
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
  • Chewie71Chewie71 Posts: 142
    I want to know why these god rays were never mentioned in pre-release reviews? Even the almighty Tested kept quiet about it. So either they deliberately hid the information or it wasnt really that bad.