CV1 Light Rays are bad - Page 2 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 Light Rays are bad

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,783 Valuable Player
    yeah I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned, especially by Tested... it's kind of important to make people aware so they have realistic expectations
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • dead4suredead4sure Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    I'm with you on this, I find it hard to believe that no one picked up on this as an issue. UNLESS they had some different sort of setup? Seems very unlikely...
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,067
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    A few people here are quick to proclaim that 'every' Rift has the flares or god-ray effect exactly the same as the next one, when they do not know that absolutely as they only know the effect via their individual Rift. We all know fresnel lenses have this effect built in as a side effect of how they process light, however there are more than a few people reporting the effect to be substantially pronounced which leads to the question whether there are 'some' Rifts which indeed do have this problem magnified or worse. There should be a definitive way to establish that, perhaps using some sort of app that can measure or quantify this. And it is a valid question to ask why this was reported in absolutely no reviews prior to release. Nothing yet presented convinces me there is not potentially a real problem with some peoples lenses and having not received mine yet I am concerned as many of us are.
  • Blyss4226Blyss4226 Posts: 549 Poster of the Week
    edited April 2016
    I am in the camp wondering if they are all the same too. My feeling is they are and different people are just more or less sensitive to them. They bother me a lot if I let them, but I can ignore them too.

I see godrays and halos a little bit in real life as well, and I wonder if that makes me more sensitive to them in the Rift? I made a thread about this yesterday ( https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34883/headaches-from-cv1-godrays-how-bad-are-they-supposed-to-be-the-godrays ) - it really surprises me how bad they are.

The best way would be for someone who thinks it's really bad and someone who thinks it's no issue to swap Rifts. If their opinions do not change, then we the variance is in people and not Rifts. But getting two people in the same place both with Rifts and opposite opinions will likely have to wait until more Rifts are in the wild.

Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
    Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
  • NoZartNoZart Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Still on DK2, so i cant comment on the god rays - but when i see the Farlands logo, i always see a second, inverted ghost image of the logo wandering around the lens as i turn my head. Can anyone who has both devices comment on if the god rays are worse? Because the inverted ghost images in high contrast scenes are distracting as hell....
    edited April 2016
    I've seen a type of ghosting in Lucky's Tale though I've nothing to really compare it with and no idea what it's properly called.

Basically it occurs in opposite situations of the godray effect - i.e. it occurs with very dark things on very bright backgrounds, like black text on white. If I turn my head very quickly in that situation I see a ghost of the dark thing where it was for about a quarter of a second. I don't find it too distracting because the combination of things to make it happen is pretty rare.

I've not used a DK2 but I've used some other devices, the nicest probably being the VR ONE. God rays are... distracting at first. But they only appear in certain scenarios, and it's quite possible to design around them(i.e. you almost never see them in LT).

I saw this image on a reddit post, and it is representative of what the godrays look like in my personal headset:

But that is a worst case scenario. The Oculus logo (white logo on black) is another place it's BAD. Do note that the more off center the image is to your focal point, the worse they are. This image was taken with a phone through the lens as I understand, and it's at a pretty rough angle so yeah it really is a worst case.
  • richhard1richhard1 Posts: 606
    Art3mis
    Only a few batches have been affected with these so called 'god rays'. Even some HMD's have it on either left or right eyes only. The shortage of lenses may well be botched manufacture without QA to ensure faster deliveries. 
    This is why some reviews don't mention it either.
    I7-4790K - GTX980ti - 32GB - PB287Q - G502 - A50 - GAMEZ4RO - G19s - E17k - Xonar7.1 - Xenyx502 - AT2050 - H105 - T300RS - XBox1Elite - X55- 4K/DK2/CV1/VIVE
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    That's interesting @richhard1, do you have any evidence which supports those claims? Perhaps a link to the reviews you mention?

EDIT: ...and I don't count "everyone's talking about it on reddit" as evidence...just so you know. ;)
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,783 Valuable Player
    whoa182 said:
    Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 

Well that's a bummer!  lol
    Yeah @richhard1 I'd certainly like to see your source for that too. It is bad in my headset but it's the same in both lenses(I've compared multiple times) - and that's even with my left lens having a minor chip on the inside(or whatever it is. Oculus Support said they had to look in to it when I showed them the image).
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    richhard1 said:
    Only a few batches have been affected with these so called 'god rays'. Even some HMD's have it on either left or right eyes only. The shortage of lenses may well be botched manufacture without QA to ensure faster deliveries. 
    This is why some reviews don't mention it either.
    Got a single shred of evidence of this? It's impossible for any devices to not have the issue, it's a side effect of using fresnel lenses.
  • Scott185Scott185 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    The god ray effect is bad on mine and i cant understand why it has never been mentioned in any play tests or reviews before launch.

That being said in almost all the games and experiences iv played it isn't visible. Its mainly visible in high contrast menus. But when it does show it is quite bad. 
  • rsamgzrsamgz Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/34915/halo-effect-glare-lens-flare

The thing is I had played for several days with the CV1 and did not have that issue. It started a few days in, and it is now completely disruptive. Every single source of light in a game will have that!

To verify that I was not crazy, I asked my girlfriend to simply play. After a few minutes she said: "I don't want to play anymore, it feels blurry, as if the lenses are dirty. Can't see really well". Neither of us had had this problem before, and I had just cleaned the lenses with the cloth provided by Oculus.

Scott185: That being said in almost all the games and experiences iv played it isn't visible.
    Eve is now not playable due to this issue. 

• hubickhubick Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    Scott185 said:
    The god ray effect is bad on mine and i cant understand why it has never been mentioned in any play tests or reviews before launch.
    See, and I find the god rays to be almost a non-issue compared to the resolution. Either way, I think almost the entire tech press is guilty of over-hyping this as the next big thing in order to attract readers/viewers. My guess is, you'll hear very little negative commentary about CV1, right up until CV2 comes out, at which point they'll all be like "they finally fixed the big problem of the god rays and resolution", and then proceed to not really tell you anything critical about CV2. It's extra funny to watch all the fanboys downvote any review which is a bit critical. People need to step back. If your brother comes over and poopoos it, be like "yeah, it is what it is, but hey, gen 1, at least it's something". More honesty, less hype.
  • comixcrozcomixcroz Posts: 210
    Art3mis
    edited April 2016
    yeah I'm a bit surprised it hasn't been mentioned, especially by Tested... it's kind of important to make people aware so they have realistic expectations
    Someone said this a few weeks ago and I pointed it out then.  It seems like everyone just took it as truth without actually fact checking.  Tested did in fact address the "god rays" in the review.

Skip to 5:40 in the review.  They talk about it for a good 60 seconds and specifically say that it is in every headset.  

• RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    Thanks @comixcroz, I had a feeling I had seen those guys talking about godrays. Then again that vid WAS posted on April 1st!

Btw, I hate the way Norm says "tex" instead of "text" :p
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm pretty sure that the god rays are on all the units. Sorry.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    @hubick - Of course they hyped it. That's one of the reasons I avoid reviews like the plague for anything that i'm super interested in. I did it with Rift too. And here I am, I've made several threads about issues I've had with my Rift. Godrays so bad they give me headaches. Scratches on my lenses. A possible defect on them. Problems with software refusing to install.

And I am still super satisfied with my purchase. It's about being realistic. Rift is not perfect. Nor is Vive for that matter. This is the first generation of truly consumer level headsets(and one could argue whether they are consumer level or not). There are gonna be issues.

Anyway the press has an agenda, one way or the other. That's just how it is. No one should base their opinion on something like that alone. Trust your own eyes. Literally :smile:

• bjornbergbjornberg Posts: 16
    What I would like to know if the people who are not bothered with the glare/god rays could have a look into their rift and look for imperfections/blobs in their lenses. I am very botherd by my unit, and I have (posted in another thread but picture here http://imgur.com/a/YHbmY ) imperfections.

Was talking to support, but the first asked for more time, waited for 2 weeks, then sent them a mail. They got back a few hours later and basically said I should adjust my HMD better and that it was normal. In other words try to get rid of me.

I'm very surprised that these kinds of imperfections are OK by Oculus. I'm a photographer, and if I bought a lens with anything even slightly like this, it would go back for a replacement right away.

@bjornberg - Have you seen my lens? http://i.imgur.com/GGFe2gK.jpg Support initially asked for a picture, I provided them that, and now they've said they need to look in to it. I'm not really on about it, it doesn't seem to affect the image in any perceptible way. I do wanna know what it is though.

I also have the effect seen in your image, but yeah, it just doesn't seem to affect anything. Fresnel lenses are kind of unique in how they work, and I think they are more resistant to flaws for that reason. That's only a thoery though.
  • bjornbergbjornberg Posts: 16
    @Blyss4226 Good luck with support, I dont have your scratches, but more bubbles.
  • WelbyWelby Posts: 1,063 Oculus Start Member
    edited April 2016
    I actually completly agree with the TESTED review.. I can see god rays especially in menus and in the Oculus Home..

But in games? Nope.. i just don't seen them and even if could happen they don't bother me at all.

When happens to see them a bit they seems more like an "image effect" than rather a real issue.
    @bjornberg ;Where are the bubbles in your image? I'm not seeing any.

My scratches are my fault. I basically was pushing sharp invisible pollen particles around on my lens without realizing it til it was too late >_< BUT that picture makes it look WAY worse than it really is. Only that single largest scratch is visible to the naked eye, and a lot of the lesser ones aren't actually scratches but were streaks.

They at least need to tell me what the defect is. I will not accept them brushing it off or refusing to. I paid $600 for this thing. There really shouldn't be a defect at all. I will accept it because it doesn't affect my experience. But I want a real answer from them, that's all. Anyway I will update my thread when they do respond. It's a dual ticket - I also can't get a couple of games to "Finish Install" - one of which being Eve Valkyrie that I very much want to play.

I'm a laid back guy though, and I understand this is first gen tech. I love my Rift. LOVE IT. It has it's faults, for sure. But there is just nothing else that can give me these kinds of experiences and I'm willing to accept it's faults for that reason. It's like... falling in love. When you love a person, you accept and even come to expect their flaws. The flaws make it what it is. It's the Rift.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,348 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    Far as I know, it seems both headsets have these "bubbles" and no one seems to be having any issues with them. So it looks like it has to do with how they are made.

Also, while I am here. I do have a question. See how the rings are made? Why not create a filter that matches the rings so less light shines/bounces out of the ring. Over all, making the god rays less noticeable?
    We spoke about this briefly in another thread - in theory it should be possible to produce a lens that "corrects" the godray effect. Such a lens could be held in place by one of those VR glasses mounty thingies. (Very technical terms right there) That would definitely be a MUST HAVE.
  • whoa182whoa182 Posts: 381
    Trinity
    The only time I really notice the god rays are in loading scenes typically... Not one person I've shown the Rift to has mentioned them either. They seem to be a non-issue for most people.

When I'm actually playing a game, I rarely if ever notice or pay any attention to them either. They've never distracted me or made me feel that it ruins the experience at all.
    CPU: i5-4690K 4.50 GHZ RAM: 8.00 GB Corsair Vengence GFX: Nvidia GTX 970 HDD: 2TB MONITOR: Samsung U28D590 27" 4K Res
    I soooooo think it's a very personal thing. I just don't think the quality would vary THIS wildly. I really think some people are just more sensitive to it than others.

I'd like to see a survey of people that asked how bad the godray bothered them, and then various questions about their eyesight and eye health. I think it would reveal lots.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,783 Valuable Player
    @comixcroz, thanks for the post, that's one review i missed
    Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • dc2889dc2889 Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    Its not bad and can be implemented as a positive form of pacification. Lets us take into account this device is only stage one virtual realty replacement stimuli. its not going to be perfect rite out the gate. those that have been with v.r.r.s since the early days know its a flawed. v.r.r.s is never going to be perfect. The human visual system is so advance they will forever see sde even at 8k . If the image isn't identical to real life stimuli  they will notice it and wont be content. In order for them not to notice it the hardware would have to be so ridiculously advance and expensive it wouldn't justify the gain. Let them be happy that they have v.r.r.s at all imperfections and all. This is the beginning of something beautiful. oculus vive psvr are the v.r.r.s devices that will inspire the next hundred year of this new medium. let them put pause to the complaining forget the cost push past the gaming and realize that world they lived in has been freed in ways that at one point were unfathomable. project vr is in full effect.