CV1 Light Rays are bad - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 Light Rays are bad

1235»

Comments

• bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Zenbane said:
    bo3b said:
    Neither Farlands nor your example image here are good examples.  Neither are high-contrast.

Go sit in the virtual cinema and watch a movie in the dark room and see.
    Not sure if you noticed but there is a movie playing in the Technolust screenshot. That film will play in its entirety. And I've watched Netflix with my Rift as well with zero issues.

Instead of pretending that I'm giving bad examples why don't you provide some visuals of your own.
    I'm not pretending you are giving bad examples- those are bad examples.  As I noted they are both low contrast.  The video screen in TechnoLust is too small to be a factor, and even in your image it's greyish, not high contrast.

Again, the simple test is to sit in the Oculus Video virtual cinema, which everyone gets for free, and watch a movie with high contrast to the dark room.  Like a sunny outdoor event.  

Edit: A good example is to use Home Theater, watch the movie Vimeo->Void.  Another good example is Vimeo->When we were Knights.

You are deliberately downplaying the problem, and I think that is wrong. 
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    are god rays really bad ? How do they look ? Never seen anything like them on my Vive so cannot comment on this.....
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    godwisper said:
    are god rays really bad ? How do they look ? Never seen anything like them on my Vive so cannot comment on this.....

This is pretty representative worst case of what I see (minus the camera hand shake the blurs the image).

Even when it's not worst case of white on black, I see this all the time for high contrast images.  

Everyone is different, so it's possible some people are not susceptible to this, or it does't bother them.

Often I wear glasses, and the feeling is like having smudges on my lenses all the time.  Except these move as you move your head.

I see these on Vive too.  Most noticeable from the white square on the floor, if you change the background image for the VR starting room.  To me, they are not nearly as annoying on Vive though.

Very good example, with movement:

• godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    Thanks for the explanation and me too wear glasses in normal life but not while using the headset and no I don`t see any artifacts or godrays in the vive. Take example the loading screens for A Chair in a Room where you have the chapter text in white over a black background. No I don`t see any rays coming out from the text and all I see is a good contrast black background. Might be lenses differ from one device to the other irrespective of the brand ?
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Here's another good example from vralf, as an in-game effect, sort of normal case, not worst case.
    This is what I very often see (no glasses in rift, usually use contacts and have good vision.) Game wise, nearly every game has this effect for any high-contrast parts.  That's why you don't see them in FarLands or Lucky's Tale, Oculus knows about the problem, and made them bright scenes.  Even the underground part with flashlight part of Lucky's Tale cleverly keeps high-contrast parts out.

For me, the annoyance factor varies depending upon the game.  In oculus cinema, the moving images with my stationary head drive me bats.  The passive sitting with wild artifacts breaks the immersion.  In a game like Valkyrie I only see them during menus and in base, during gameplay I'm far to busy to notice.  

I think that might be a factor in Vive as well- typically I'm so immersed in what's happening that I don't notice.  This might explain part of the wild variance you read about.  Some notice, some don't, some care, some don't.  I think that newbies to stereo-3D in particular are going to be so wowed by the overall effect that they don't notice the defects until later.  (I've done 3D Vision for 5 years, so 3D is my 'normal'.)

• jmke79jmke79 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    the god rays are bad; wanted to enjoy a movie in a virtual cinema, but the smearing and light bleed is extremely distracting, no higher res, or none existent SDE can compensate for the god ray horror.

on the flip side, in games (projects cars, the climb, etc) the effect is much less; even in Eve the god rays are bearable, but virtual cinema/virtual desktop with high contrast... awful and a step back from DK2
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,852
    Project 2501
    Geeech godrays. I guess it's just me but to me they are hardly noticeable. Get over it people.
  • KijutsuKijutsu Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just got my Rift and I love everything about it.  Except those awful god rays.  Makes reading text(white text) very hard of the eyes to read.  It's a CV1 so things like this are to be expected I guess.
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 727
    Trinity
    Just got my rift and I can confirm you are all bitching about a non issue.  Ive played the climb, even Valkyrie and through the dream deck those god rays absolutely do not bother me one minute., granted ive went my entire life wearing glasses (I put contacts in cause I don't want to scratch the lenses) and ive been laughing at all of those complainiong about the god rays. These rays effect me 0.  however I can greatly admire the increased resolution and increased frame rate
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,112 Valuable Player
    I need to go do some testing here in a bit, but I felt like that recent update (1.5) managed to reduce the already minimal god rays issue. I saw them the most when Farlands was loading, and with the Showdown loading screen.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,274 Valuable Player
    What annoys me about the God Rays, is how they create disco lights around the sides of the screens. When I move my head to look at things it's like been in a disco. Also, it creates a big light contrast around anything white on a dark background and makes things look blurred all around it. I'm trying to live with it, but I just find it annoying and preferred the SDE in DK2, if I'm honest. Sadly, I've sold my DK2 , but that's what I'd be playing Technolust and ED with right now if I had it. I'm not sure what the guys at Oculus were thinking when they were looking into the headset and saw these Godrays. Games like Technolust would have been so much better without this horrible effect.
    @lovethis - where are you seeing God Rays in Technolust? That's one of the first games I bought and beat, and I often use that as an example of a game where God Rays are either extremely minimal or non-existent. I use 2 screenshots to illustrate what it takes to make "mild" God Rays appear in Technolust, which can be seen here:
    https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/36062/games-apps-screenshots

So where exactly do you see God Rays with this game?

@Zenbane - I see them all around the edges of my screen. I have created a support ticket about it because I'm not sure if these are the "God Rays" people are talking about. The ones you point out don't put me off, it's the ones around the screen that I'm having difficulty getting used to. I'm getting like a disco effect all around the screen edges.
    Oh I see. Yeah maybe it's an issue with your Rift then. Hopefully it gets sorted out quickly. Definitely keep everyone posted!
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Got my CV1 2 days ago and the god rays are not really that bad (even in Elite). Mind you, as soon as I plugged it in, I got prompted to upgrade to 1.5, so I never saw what it was like before (using DK2 until now). I actually find antialiasing to help slightly as that reduces high contrast jaggies.
    I've just reinstalled my Rift and set the ipd thing again. Seems to be a lot better now when playing Dead Secret and other games.
  • ApplecorpApplecorp Posts: 741
    3Jane
    keithianw said:
    How much time have you put into not staring at the logo and title page and seeing the problem is basically non existent inside the experiences themselves? That is what almost every Rift owner has stated...so far.
    This, I only ever see it on menu screens with text on a black background. A complete non issue.
  • IblysiIblysi Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    I have not had any problems with this, sure you see them a bit when you have black screen with a logo of a game popping up. but that is about it. I do not see them in game ever.
  • SnappEdSnappEd Posts: 1
    Sadly, as I've been using my Vive for 2 months now before I received my rift this morning I find the "god rays" incredibly noticeable. There are some slight light artifacts on the Vive so I expected the same. The effect is much worse. This is not to say that it's there all of the time, in fact in bright scenes it's pretty much non existent but it does really bug me elsewhere. Is there no way to lessen the effect?
  • MorgenKellMorgenKell Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    I don't think Oculus could release Wilson's Heart if Godrays couldn't be managed by software tricks ;)
  • RuinedRuined Posts: 44
    Brain Burst

I have some minor rays but I don't find them too distracting.  The time I notice it the most is when there is the white hourglass in the lower right on black screens.

Note that if the lenses have sweat or are fogged up, they will be much worse.  So make sure to keep the lenses clean with a microfiber cloth to ensure best experience.

• nAV2016nAV2016 Posts: 516
    Trinity
    edited June 2016
    whoa182 said:
    Sounds silly to be embarrassed about showing your Rift off.

Here's my experience showing to people: Every single one of them are blown away by the Rift. And they all want one - right now. Half of them were skeptical and weren't even particularly interested in VR.

And they can't stop talking about it to people. 
    I can relate, my brother just thinks this technology needs more time and 600$ product with fog issues is going to just spur the brother on..he wants his brother to enjoy the experiences as well..i get it!
  • drackonos10drackonos10 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Dang, was coming here hoping to see an adjustment or something I could do for this. It usually isn't a problem in the couple of games I have tried so far, but I would imagine if the game was dark with any bright lights for any reason then they will probably pop up and make the game almost unplayable. At the moment I have only easily seen it in loading screens. 
  • VRLAXVRLAX Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    edited September 2017
    I have the new bundle and the godray is basically everywhere. It's a lot worse than I imagined it to be. I wonder if I got a faulty unit :(

I don't mind the godrays, it's the glares on the lens that's really troubling me