New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Introduction to Virtual Reality not a good intro, as it's bug riddled

DevilstowerDevilstower Posts: 94
Hiro Protagonist
I want to like it, because it seems like it would be a nice little "show of the Oculus" title when plunking the device on a friend's head but.

First, the screen draws in in segments, something I've never seen in another Oculus app, so that if I turn my head there are momentary blank areas that are filled after a stomach-lurching second.

But the biggest bug is that the sound is totally out of sync with the images. It starts off slightly off and gets worse and worse until the images are several scenes behind the sound.

Comments

• LitespeedLitespeed Posts: 335
    Trinity
    Also there is no positional tracking at all. Looks like it was made for DK1 or Gear VR. On the Rift, it's underselling the VR experience by far.
    If you are looking for a short introcution to VR for your friends better show them "Lost" or "Oculus Dreamdeck" for example.
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,424 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    Positional tracking aside (I do not expect it really with these videos) I thought it was some of the best 360 videos I have seen. The first time I ran it it was fine no issues but the second time, I had the same issues with the black rectangles. The third time it ran fine again. The clarity of these are great, really shows the difference that bit of extra resolution can bring to the experience.
  • MisterBeeboMisterBeebo Posts: 54
    Hiro Protagonist
    I agree with @Luciferous. I normally don't like any sort of 360 video as the resolution is often terrible. While it still wasn't perfect, it was the best example I've seen so far. I've run it for myself a couple times and a few friends and haven't noticed any rectangles or sound syncing issues. I'll keep an eye on it though as I'd rather not use it to intro people to VR if it's unstable.
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 982
    3Jane
    Yeah i thought this was a really bad intro to VR for anyone. I've used the dk1/2 for dev since they've been available and this was some of the worst nausea i've ever had. Rite away you're being moved in space without user input, then they disable positional tracking. I'm pretty sure both of those go against the best practices guide that oculus made. Its cool content, but far from deserving the "comfortable" rating its been given in home
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    I always liked the original "Welcome to Oculus" Im surprised they never updated it to work with the CV1. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I actually thought it was pretty good, knowing the limitations of stereo 360 video.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • diogofigueiredodiogofigueiredo Posts: 161
    Art3mis
    It's an amazing work of art, if you really think about it. No other 3D 360 videos is so technically perfect, with no visible seams. Those guys did an incredible job.
    Of course it doesn't have positional tracking, as it's not rendered in real time, but in terms of VR video, it's as good as it can get.
    Regarding the slow-motion playback (losing sync with audio), I believe it has to do with CV1 x DK2 playback rates. I'm guessing they created a 90fps video (even if previously interpolated) specifically for CV1, but in DK2 it's playing at 75fps. The software is not adjusting the playback rate. I've not heard of anyone with a CV1 complaining about this issue, only DK2 owners.
    Owner of a DK2 since October 2014.
    Anxiously waiting for the delivery of the CV1.
  • surraysurray Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Introduction to Virtual Reality for me is also out of sync. I am using a CV1 Rift.
    It gets worse over time, by the time the video reaches the elephants, the audio already starts on the next scene.

What can I do? I already uninstalled all video codec packs and whatever else, disabled any framerate limiting software just in case as well.

I'd like to see how this looks when it actually works...
  • xWandererxxWandererx Posts: 386
    Trinity
    Hmm I havent had this problem what are your computer specs?
    NerveGear
    Windows 10
    Radeon R9 290
    16GB Ram
    Intel i5 3570k

It's just a video so it's gotta be a software problem of some sort, but I have no ideas left about what it could be.
    The video appears to be running at variable framerates around 45-55 FPS for whatever reason, I just checked it with rivatuner.
    So I loaded up the video in MPC and played it and it's a solid 60FPS.

What could cause this and what can I try to fix it?
  • ThugThug Posts: 435
    Trinity
    Works fine here too
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • xWandererxxWandererx Posts: 386
    Trinity
    @surray Im wondering if your CPU is under spec? It says 4590 as a minimum
  • FX2KFX2K Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    mambo1888 said:
    I always liked the original "Welcome to Oculus" Im surprised they never updated it to work with the CV1. 
    This one?  http://www.slicevr.com/welcome-to-oculus/
    That was my favorite one to 'showcase' the DK2 especially the 'dropping'  part of it  :) 
    CV1: Ordered 6th Jan 2016 - Est Delivery Some time in May...
    DK2: Ordered: 8th of Aug 2014 - Delivered: 14 Oct 2014
    NerveGear
    @surray Im wondering if your CPU is under spec? It says 4590 as a minimum
    Shouldn't be a problem as the difference in speed is negligible.
    Overclocked just in case but it didn't help.
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Ok I figured out the situation in which it occurs although I still have no idea why exactly, but at least I can work around it now.

I have 2 monitors. My main monitor, like the Rift itself, runs off of my R9 290 (Rift on HDMI, Monitor on DVI).
    My second monitor runs off of my intel integrated graphics' HDMI connection.
    Introduction to Virtual Reality, when started, shows a mirror on my Desktop as well as running in the Rift of course.
    However it runs fullscreen on my second monitor, and at around ~50 FPS (the video is 60 FPS, should timewarp to 90)

Disabling my second monitor temporarily forces the mirror to run fullscreen on my main monitor, and BAM it suddenly runs at 90 FPS no problem, fixing the desync issues.
    Now why would the video player decide to throw it over to the on-chip graphics for no apparent reason? Surely my graphics card renders it on the Rift so if you show a mirror on my in-chip graphics monitor, then that's gonna have to be rendered by the on-chip graphics. Seems crazy to me.

Dual monitors utilizing on-chip graphics is a common thing nowadays, especially among PC enthusiasts which are more likely to buy into VR.
    Someone should take a look at this and fix it because it's stuff like this that really ruins first-time VR experiences for people.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,427 Valuable Player
    I had no issues with it at all, and I personally loved the footage of the asian countries. I've been to places like Thailand and Vietnam myself, so it was awesome to see it in VR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • blyths69blyths69 Posts: 43
    Brain Burst
    Am the same with no issues and it's 1 of the best Demo's for me...4.6hhz.
    980ti
  • Bel-garathBel-garath Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    No issues for me. Titan X. It's a great thing to show others. It was great on the GearVR and its great on the Rift...just not something I personally would watch more than a couple of times.
  • JaggerWolfJaggerWolf Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Only issues I have had is the audio being out of sync - Was the same on both Dk2 & Cv1 - goes out of sync at the exact same spot every time.
  • GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    Before getting my Rift I watched a few videos of that introduction and it looked amazing, not so much when actually in VR - it is mostly 360 video that doesn't support 3d depth or positional tracking. Now I show people the spaceship in Farlands when they first try the Rift, that is an awesome simple experience to start out with!
  • Jokergod2000Jokergod2000 Posts: 302
    Nexus 6
    It's good for a 360 video but a 360 video is a horrible CV1 intro to VR. It's not a Gear VR so why show something so limiting?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,427 Valuable Player
    I agree that showing this video as a first intro to VR isn't the best way to go. I typically show quite a few others things first (Showdown, Dreamdeck, Lost, Technolust). However, I eventually show this video once all the other "wow" factors have been achieved specifically because it shows how anyone on the planet can contribute to VR experiences.  You don't even have to own a VR headset.

This video is a great demonstration of the world's future with sharing experiences in ways never before achieved. It completely outshines whatever standard social media thought it set.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    I thought the video was quite good as well but agree theres a lot of other experiences that make a better demos/introduction to VR. I know some people are not that keen on 360 video but I think it shows another way to utilise the VR headsets capabilities, and what it could do for people that prevented from visiting places around the world due to age, illness or disability etc. 

I can see this working and offering them an experience they never thought possible, and another way VR can expand past gaming or as a learning utility.