New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

The Climb - releasing 28th April!

SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
Hiro Protagonist
Too exciting :smiley: 

Comments

• Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Happy days, another one to get when my Rift arrives.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • Mr.CreepyMr.Creepy Posts: 792
    Neo
    Atmos73 said:
    Is it still true this is gamepad only and doesn't support motion controllers of any sort?
    No, it was always meant to have support for motion controllers.
  • SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    Crytek have said that The Climb has Touch support, and that as soon as Touch is released you'll be able to use it with the game.
  • SpyderSiSpyderSi Posts: 52
    Hiro Protagonist
    You're a happy chappy
  • benplacebenplace Posts: 771
    Neo
    Support for Leap motion would be cool...
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,792
    Project 2501
    benplace said:
    Support for Leap motion would be cool...
    Yeah indeed it would...even more then Touch...
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I9 [email protected], 32gb RAM/ 2080ti Former DK2, Gear VR,CV1 and Rift S owner
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,776 Volunteer Moderator
    Another game I cannot wait to play once the rift arrives!
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • jeff85008jeff85008 Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    I'm glad it will work with either controller - I've used leap motion before - you're arms get tired quickly and then your back to your controller. Everyone should start doing dumbbell lifts to prepare themselves :smile: 
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    I find it rather silly that for a game that uses your hands and arms people would gleefully go for just a simple controller. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad folks are happy about it, but I gotta agree with Atmos here, it's a game built for touch controllers. Why release a game that doesn't include or utilize it's main support scheme?
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    edited April 2016
    Amazing! Now the waiting is harder lol.
    Come on rift come to meeeeee 
    Source?
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

I'm still curious to see how they integrate motion controls to this game. 

With Dino Island 2 and an XBox controller, I used the HMD to direct my free hand to a hold, then held down the left or right trigger to "grab".  Once my trigger was pulled I could release the opposite hand trigger to position my second hand.  Simple mechanic that worked well.

But how does it work with Touch?  When I reach up with my right hand, I'll see the virtual hand and can place it over a hold and "grab" with my fingers - awesome.  This sounds very intuitive.

But now that my hand has grabbed, what happens when I drop that arm to my side.  Will I be lurched upwards as if I'd done that move in real life?  I guess that's fine, especially since that's similar to what you do in real life to reach higher holds.  That's a better solution than your simulated hand and your real hand being in different positions.  That would instantly break immersion.

So what happens if I grab with both hands, then drop one arm to my side while still holding with both Touch controllers.  Do I spin?  If these two hand-holds are only a foot apart, what happens when I continue holding with both hands and move my arms out to my sides as far as I can reach?  What does the game do?

I'm sure they have a solution so I'm curious to see how they've solved it.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • ThugThug Posts: 436
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    EliteSPA said:

Source?
    An email sent to those who left their details for any updates...

The Climb hits the Rift April 28!

We’re delighted to confirm that The Climb will launch for Oculus Rift this Thursday, April 28. Get ready to race to the top of leaderboards, beat intense bouldering challenges, explore beautiful environments, and feel the vertigo and adrenaline of each and every ascent.

VISIT THE CLIMB WEBSITE
    Facebook
    Twitter
    YouTube
    Link
    © 2016 Crytek GmbH ('Crytek'). All Rights Reserved. Crytek, CRYENGINE, The CLIMB and their respective logos are trademarks or registered trademarks of Crytek in the EU, the USA & other territories. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.

Crytek GmbH Grüneburgweg 16-18 Frankfurt am Main 60322 Germany

CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" BenQ monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    Zoomie said:

I'm still curious to see how they integrate motion controls to this game. 

With Dino Island 2 and an XBox controller, I used the HMD to direct my free hand to a hold, then held down the left or right trigger to "grab".  Once my trigger was pulled I could release the opposite hand trigger to position my second hand.  Simple mechanic that worked well.

But how does it work with Touch?  When I reach up with my right hand, I'll see the virtual hand and can place it over a hold and "grab" with my fingers - awesome.  This sounds very intuitive.

But now that my hand has grabbed, what happens when I drop that arm to my side.  Will I be lurched upwards as if I'd done that move in real life?  I guess that's fine, especially since that's similar to what you do in real life to reach higher holds.  That's a better solution than your simulated hand and your real hand being in different positions.  That would instantly break immersion.

So what happens if I grab with both hands, then drop one arm to my side while still holding with both Touch controllers.  Do I spin?  If these two hand-holds are only a foot apart, what happens when I continue holding with both hands and move my arms out to my sides as far as I can reach?  What does the game do?

I'm sure they have a solution so I'm curious to see how they've solved it.

This is exactly the problem I really don't see how it could work in a realistic way, with that I have seen people demo this and they all said the controls work great and you forget about it.

I wonder if this will support liquid VR as crytek did say they are supporting.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    Put a Hold on my bank account!

The climb is nearly here
  • DannyMNLDannyMNL Posts: 273
    Nexus 6
    @Thug
    Maybe you should edit your post to remove the unsubscribe link that is at the bottom of your email. I clicked it and it says I am now unsubscribed. Thing is, I wasn't even subscribed to begin with which can only mean I have unsubscribed you instead... o:)
    ASUS Z97-Pro Gamer | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Ti Gaming OC 6Gb | i7-4790K 4.0Ghz | Crucial Ballistix 16Gb DDR3-1600 | Cooler Master G750M | Windows 10 64-bit | AOC G2460PG G-Sync 144hz 3D-monitor
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    Is the motion control support already included in the release build?  Just wondering if we'll be able to play this with the Wand controllers when it's hacked to work on the Vive?
    Trinity
    anyone know what shop or any other info?
    not much on the net about release
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited April 2016
    Hopefully HTC will let Vive use the Oculus SDK so you can just buy it and play!
    @Atmos73 I haven't held one, but my hunch is that you cup it with the crook of your hand, and maybe grab the stem with the pinky and ring fingers for stability.  The index finger, middle finger, and thumb are now a 3 fingered hand with which to do actions.

So you'd grip with 3 fingers and stabilize the controller with the remaining two and the crook of your hand.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Trinity
    If this is anything like dinosaur island we are in for a big treat
  • RABIDRABID Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    any idea of how long the gameplay is?
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    it's a game built for touch controllers. Why release a game that doesn't include or utilize it's main support scheme?
     No, it's a game built for gamepad *and* Touch, neither one is the "main" control scheme. They said both are equal in their eyes, and when they first showed it off, they only showed it with gamepad controls. They said Touch might improve immersion but in a game with your hands always reaching above your head it's incredibly tiring, so game sessions will be longer with gamepad.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,100
    3Jane
    edited April 2016
    Cool trailer - Thing would love this game - actually it may even be him or a relative perhaps !?
  • ZadnezZadnez Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Cant find anything on the net about release today?
    Trinity
    this is the best I can find Zadnez
    https://twitter.com/theclimbgame/with_replies
  • TremFTremF Posts: 96
    Hiro Protagonist
    It's on OCULUS hOME NOW AT $50

I'm not sure it's my thing so the price is a little offputting. On the other hand BigScreen on Steam is ace :smiley: 
  • StreetPreacherStreetPreacher Posts: 232
    Nexus 6
    The Verge review implies that they haven't tried the Touch interface with this game?  Is that just some embargo BS?  I thought that most media people were given a chance to try the Touch version of the Climb at one of the recent Oculus events?
  • DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,102
    3Jane
    Well, not enough to review it - a few minutes at a trade show isn't enough to review the experience, especially when it could change when the final Touch devices are released
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,314 Volunteer Moderator
    edited April 2016
    This is a tempting title, seems like my game spending habits are changing... buying very few non-VR title and saving for the VR ones
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19041.508)
  • AekeroAekero Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    anyone have it yet? $50 for a climbing simulator seems pretty harsh, but there may be more to it than I realize?