New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Rift HMD switches off intermittently

cjc1664cjc1664 Posts: 16
NerveGear
After a while using the rift the screen switches off, I lose all audio and video and the led goes amber or black. In eve Valkyrie this results in the client closing but then the rift starts up again in home. In other apps I need to close oculus app and reopen.

This was happening using mobo USB ports, I've swapped to using the recommended inateck pci-e card (with power plugged in) and still have the problem.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues, and is there anywhere I can look for debug or logging info, any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Using gtx980ti connected via hdmi, windows 10, power settings set to never sleep. Rig powered by 850w psu, USB card is the only device on its own modular power supply connection.

Comments

• papusmanpapusman Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    This has happened to me a few times when using Elite: Dangerous. It never happened when I was using mobo USB ports, only now that I have the inateck card. Glad to her it's not just me, bu I'd sure love to find out what I can do to fix it.

My setup is the same as yours, with a gtx970 card.
  • sandivuksandivuk Posts: 101
    I'm having the exact same issue
  • cjc1664cjc1664 Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    I've raised a ticket with support and will keep this thread updated. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with the issue, hopefully there's some simple diagnostics and an easy solution.

It's putting me off spending much time in the rift, sharing the experience with my family and friends, and certainly preventing me from committing any time in any kind of competitive online gaming, so I'm hoping for a positive outcome.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Yeah, I'm not sure about this. Might be best to talk to Support. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • VirtualEuphoriaVirtualEuphoria Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Same for me. Do you also get "Headset has been removed" message in home when this happens?
    NerveGear
    Quick update.

Logged a ticket last night and had a rapid response (thanks, support!) advising to check physical connection at the hmd end for damage and to repeat the connection, also to collect 24 hour logging data as per the sticky on this forum (https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3)

I'm not round much over the next few days but I'll continue to provide updates on this thread. As per cybereality's advice, I'd recommend anyone else having the same problems raise a ticket with support.
    NerveGear
    Quick update - reseated the HDMI cable as per instructions, 30 minutes later in Eve Valkyrie I lost audio and video. After closing and reopening dekstop oculus app, 20 minutes later had the same problem in Lucky's Tale.

Looks like the problem isn't with the cable, at least I've got some diagnostic logs for support now.
  • VirtualEuphoriaVirtualEuphoria Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    cjc1664 said:
    Quick update - reseated the HDMI cable as per instructions, 30 minutes later in Eve Valkyrie I lost audio and video. After closing and reopening dekstop oculus app, 20 minutes later had the same problem in Lucky's Tale.

Looks like the problem isn't with the cable, at least I've got some diagnostic logs for support now.
    Exact same issue, except it also happens when I try to adjust my headset even slightly.
  • sandivuksandivuk Posts: 101
    Yeah any slight adjustment would kick me out of VR as well. (This was a couple of days ago though. Now the rift won't be detected at all)
    NerveGear
    So last night I thought I'd try something I'd seen elsewhere on the forums and changed power management settings in device manager for all the USB hubs/ports that had the option so that windows would not power them down.

Unfortunately this still resulted in the same issue, with notifications that the scanner is disconnected or the hdmi cable unplugged before it resets itself.

In the meantime support have asked me for dxdiag information while they continue to investigate the logs I sent.

Cybereality, is there any way we can get a sticky on the support forum that expands on common steps for diagnosis and things that have resolved issues for others?

For example: Reseating the cable, checking for damage, powering the inateck USB card, turning sleep mode off in windows and at the USB device level etc?

There's quite a lot of people who seem to have resolved issues following some of these steps whereas for others like me there may be things to try that are tucked away in the depths of various threads, and I'm not sure I've tried everything that I could yet. A single list of things to try and what issues have been solved would be really helpful.

Thanks.
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,408
    Wintermute
    Could it be the sensor to check its on you head inside the rift? maybe try forcing it with tape or such (so it will work off your head) and see if the problem comes back.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a whirl. I can't say that I've noticed a connection between head movement and disconnects, and the hmd sits fairly snugly in place.

It does appear to be fairly random although the issue usually manifests itself after about 30 minutes of use and then happens more frequently after the first occurrence

But I'm willing to try anything to narrow the problem down. I'm delighted with the rift when it works properly but not knowing when it's going to cut out is putting me off using it for certain things.
  • frvianafrviana Posts: 26
    Brain Burst
    Check your Windows Event Viewer... look for a message in systems called: UserModePowerService
    If you have this with the content with something similar to: C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:4708) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} ... then you have a problem where your motherboard doesn't like when Windows changes the power settings for the USB 3.0.

I found a work around by setting my power settings advanced to disable USB power change and then creating a group policy with the GUID of the power setting so applications can't change the power setting. Looks like the OVRServer_x64.exe service has a bug that even though you are with the performance setting it tries to reset to performance and with the power settings change the motherboard reconnects the USB 3.0 for the device.
    NerveGear
    frviana, thanks - I do have those log entries:
    Process D:\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\OVRServer_x64.exe (process ID:6140) reset policy scheme from {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c} to {8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c}

I've changed the USB selective suspend setting to be disabled, but I'm afraid that I don't know how to do the second part of your recommendation about setting a group policy.

What effect will it have if I don't set a group policy, and if this turns out to be essential (I'll do more testing now) would you be able to advise how to go about doing this?

I'm cautiously optimistic that you may be onto something - would this also apply to the Inateck card that's running off PCI-E rather than the mobo?
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2016
    I think the problem is with the motherboard because I've seen other people also having the same with an external PCI-E. Its the way the motherboard treats power management for USB 3.0.

Here is the instructions: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

Let me know if this works for you. It worked for me but I was having the disconnection problems with the sensor and not with the HMD however I think its related to the same source.
    NerveGear
    So I've just had another reset without setting the group policy, I'll take a look at the instructions and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again
    Brain Burst
    Just setting the advanced power settings disabling the USB didn't work for me either... I had tried multiple things including disabling the device USB power management but the group policy kept changing it on request of the OVRServer_x64.exe process. The only way I could lock was based on the instructions I sent to you... it took me a while to find it. 
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
    Made the change to apply the group policy, just had another reset. Oculus home notification says HDMI cable not connected before resetting itself.

Thought I was onto something!

EDIT: Applying the group policy did stop lots of system events being generated regarding UserModePowerService, so I think you're probably correct in your previous comments about the service having a power related bug.
  • oOunknownuserOooOunknownuserOo Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    This kept happening with me every 10 minutes or so, turned out to be the Inateck 7 port PCI-e card.   Once I plugged it into the Mobo, haven't seen a disconnect once.
  • hover82hover82 Posts: 45
    I also got the same issue ;/ my Rift is disconnecting every ~15 minutes, already tried your gpedit workaround, not working for me :( I'm also not sure if it is not a HDMI cable issue, in a different thread there was a discussion about a broken HDMI cable by some Rifts.
    I also tried it with and without the Inateck, also with another USB 3.0 card and so on, no luck :( already submitted a Oculus support ticket.

What mainboard are you guys using? I got a MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate (MS-7850).
    Brain Burst
    Did you try plugging into USB 2.0.
    edited May 2016
    frviana said:
    Did you try plugging into USB 2.0.
    The Rift + Sensor after your gpedit? No, just befor, but didnt work
    NerveGear
    gigabyte ga-z77x-ud5h

Here's the list of things I'm thinking about trying next, in escalating order:

Disabling all onboard USB
    Reverting to onboard USB
    Trying a different hdmi port
    Fresh windows install
    Nuke it from orbit
    Brain Burst
    I though you had already tried different HDMI port. As your problem is HMD it would be the first thing to try.
    I just disabled USB onboard complete and just plugged in the Rift + Sensor + XBOX dongle into the Inateck -> Rift disconnected after 5 minutes. But I found something interesting in the event log:
    20:05:56.600 {WARNING} [HW:Health] 
    Hardware health is BAD.
      No HMD health data reported  0063 WMTD302F500CVA: 0xfffffffffffff05f (-4001): ovrError_USBBandwidth Sensor can not get USB bandwidth
      Frame reception stats
                                        per         total
         Complete Frames       :        261           518
         Truncated Frames      :          0             0
         Skipped Frames        :          0             0
         Recovered Frames      :          0             0
         JPEG Errors           :          0             0
         Sensor Die Temp       : 40.00
         Near USB Controller Temp : -0.06
         Near CCM Temp         : -0.06
         USB Speed             : 0x0300
         Driver Stats:
            Frames Delivered    :      14705
            Iso Reads Submitted :      94861
            Iso Reads Completed :      94856
            Iso Reads Failed    :          0
            Iso Read NtStatus   : 0x00000000
            Iso Read UsbdStatus : 0x00000000
            Iso Read No Requests:          0
            Iso Read Cmpl Bytes : 18129735680
            Iso Read Total Bytes: 18098813156
            Bad Iso Packet Ctr  :          0
            Last Bad IsoPkt Stat:          0
            Last Bad IsoPkt Time:          0
            Current Time        : 902642.569510

Also many times the message:

20:06:02.353 {!ERROR!} [Errors] 
    OVR Error:
      Code: -4001 -- ovrError_USBBandwidth
      Description: Sensor can not get USB bandwidth
      OVRTime: 908.396753
      Time: 2016-05-07 20:06:02 [353:906:0]

20:06:05.354 {WARNING} [HW:Health] 
    Hardware health is BAD.
      0005 WMHD302G100DSS: 0x0 (0): ovrSuccess 
      0064 WMTD302F500CVA: 0xfffffffffffff05f (-4001): ovrError_USBBandwidth Sensor can not get USB bandwidth
      Frame reception stats
                                        per         total
         Complete Frames       :        261           518
         Truncated Frames      :          0             0
         Skipped Frames        :          0             0
         Recovered Frames      :          0             0
         JPEG Errors           :          0             0
         Sensor Die Temp       : 40.00
         Near USB Controller Temp : -0.06
         Near CCM Temp         : -0.06
         USB Speed             : 0x0300
         Driver Stats:
            Frames Delivered    :      14705
            Iso Reads Submitted :      94861
            Iso Reads Completed :      94856
            Iso Reads Failed    :          0
            Iso Read NtStatus   : 0x00000000
            Iso Read UsbdStatus : 0x00000000
            Iso Read No Requests:          0
            Iso Read Cmpl Bytes : 18129735680
            Iso Read Total Bytes: 18098813156
            Bad Iso Packet Ctr  :          0
            Last Bad IsoPkt Stat:          0
            Last Bad IsoPkt Time:          0
            Current Time        : 911397.051407

Do you also see the "Hardware health is bad" message?

Brain Burst
    yes, you should run the OculusLogGatherer.exe found inside Program_Fi.../Oculus/Support Folder
    It will create a file... look at the report inside called AutoAnalysis

It gives better info
    edited May 2016
    I just tried to use another mouse, 30 minutes -> disconnect. Usually I get the disconnect in under 15 minutes. This is slowely getting on my nerves. I just want to use my expensive paid VR reality device :( and no help from support so far.
  • Aton1977Aton1977 Posts: 6
    I've got the same problem. Nothing works. Tried everything so far. Changing the power management in any detail didnt work. Changing the policy didnt work. USB 2.0 hub didnt work. New drivers didnt work.
    NerveGear
    It's all very frustrating, and it'd be good to get some feedback from support as I think these issues are affecting a number of people.

Even an official list of common steps to try would be helpful to make sure that we've all done everything we can at this end and help support get the info they need.

I know that this is a big and complex environment with many different variables, but I'm beginning to feel like this is less of a consumer ready release.
  • Strategos_Strategos_ Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Yeah I have the same issue here, being going through tech support but no resolution yet.

HMD disconnects / reconnects briefly after 10-20 minutes causing black screen in game. OH works fine.
    Error messages like "There is a problem with your HMD please disconnect and reconnect" which are always "a monment ago" and "resolved".

System.

Intel Core i5 2500K
    MSI P67A-GD53
    MSI GTX 970
    Inatek USB 3.0 card
    Windows 10

Tried so far:

Reseating HDMI cable.
    Disable power saving on Inatek card and Rift Sensor.
    Removed 2nd monitor.
    Reinstalled oculus home
    All GFX dirvers and windows 10 updates.
    Disabled sleep options on PC and switched to High power mode.

Problem persists.