New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to deal with Motion Sickness and prevent it

dmock1dmock1 Posts: 47
Brain Burst
edited May 2016 in General
The following is a list I compiled from my experience as a medic and as a gamer with the Oculus Rift. Please note that the following 12 points are only recommendations. Please add to the list by commenting. Game on!
1. Turn the volume down. Being over immersed isn't always a good thing.
2. Get use to your Rift by using it for a few minutes at a time. Take at least a 5 minute break.
3. Don't jump into games that are intense, Oculus gives us comfort levels for a reason.
4. Wear your glasses. Awkward at first, but their is a reason you wear them.  
5. Always calibrate your Oculus when you put them on and off your head. It only takes a minute! I cant stress this point enough.
6. Keep your lens clean of debris. Oils and residues can make the god rays worse.
7. Ginger ale soda, and not the cheap stuff. This can help sooth your stomach. Peppermint can have the same effect.
8. Stay hydrated and fully rested.
9. Don't stand up and play, especially in games like Ethan Carter.
10. If things are becoming blurry, your eyes are starting to get fatigued/strained. Refer to the 2nd point.
11. Have a fan blow on you. This will help you with orientation. The nose gap can also help out!
12. Use motion/nausea medications if necessary.

Tagged:

Comments

• GenetixStudioGenetixStudio Posts: 770
    3Jane
    One thing that I find can almost instantly help with eye strain or on coming headaches is to put a cold pack over your eyes/forehead for a few minutes. Also like to put one on the back side of the head, that is where many of the nerves that your eyes actually use are located. Ginger ale definitely helps out.
  • christopherbarnhousechristopherbarnhouse Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    Buy some ginger root at the grocery store. You can make tea ( I make a quart at a time and keep in fridge ). You can also just eat it raw ( like when eating sushi ). Works wonders for me.
  • DchapzxDchapzx Posts: 71
    Hiro Protagonist
    Some interesting advice their thank you . I have to admit I don't use my oculus as much as I thought I would due to the motion sickness and eye strain I'm actually debating whether or not to keep it because of this . I downloaded a new game last night called fated a slow placed espodic story game and put the camara into snap mode to help with the motion sickness but Evan then I can only play for 15 minutes or so . I'm hoping that maybe a 2 or 3rd gen headset with better resolution and maybe wireless with less God Ray's might be worth waiting for as of now I the night mine is going to find its way to e.bay unfortunately.
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    #2 if a bit difficult.  Take it from someone who was like, "okay, going to take it slow, don't want to get sick, I'll play for 10 minute tops!!  *2 hours later*"
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    Hmm I was wondering about that .. 12. Use motion medications if necessary ... something like promethazine hydrochloride or cinnarizine? although taking meds for that would be quite extreme.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute

I would say the opposite of #9 for FPS VR.  You really should stand up and turn your body in VR FPS games.  Using a trackpad or thumbstick to turn kind of defeats the purpose of first person VR.

Now cockpit sims and third person VR experiences are a completely different matter.

i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    Hmm I was wondering about that .. 12. Use motion medications if necessary ... something like promethazine hydrochloride or cinnarizine? although taking meds for that would be quite extreme.
    Zofran.  I've been given this many times for nausea, and it works really well.  It's a really popular choice for nausea, though it does come with risks like any other drug.  I'd advise against taking medication for nausea... stick with teas and candies.  You don't want to destroy your body over something so trivial. 

edit: I see he said "motion" medications, and not "nausea" meds... well, in either case, I'd still avoid drugs.  
    Hiro Protagonist
    I think if I had to take drugs to play games then I just wouldn't play games don't get me wrong I think the Oculus Rift is groundbreaking and amazing but right now I think I'll just stick with my curved monitor until later down the line when these problems are ironed out , I'm still excited by VR but just not in its current state .
    Trinity
    Dchapzx said:
    I think if I had to take drugs to play games then I just wouldn't play games don't get me wrong I think the Oculus Rift is groundbreaking and amazing but right now I think I'll just stick with my curved monitor until later down the line when these problems are ironed out , I'm still excited by VR but just not in its current state .
    As someone who's very susceptible to motion sickness myself I've actually been okay with the few things I've played/tried.  Games where you teleport to move around is ideal, I've had no issues with them so far.   Also, I'm even more susceptible to headaches when it comes to video games, and I haven't had any problems there either.
    Usually 20 mins into a traditional game and I'll start to feel a headache coming on.  I spent about an hour in the Rift this morning, and have been a-okay.   So don't let nausea hold you back, it might not affect you.  
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    @agenttoff  do you wear glasses? I realised I needed them last year when headaches would come on in intense games/prolonged monitor work
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • VrSpongeVrSponge Posts: 150
    Art3mis
    motion sickness IS presence... when the sickness fades so does presence. Rift user of 3 years.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Maybe I should be more postative and take this motion sickness more seriously by that I mean maybe not using the HMD when I'm already tired or not relaxed enough.  Some games are actually ok like Lucy's tale and I do enjoy playing that but some games with Evan low warnings still effect me . Yes it would be a shame to put my Oculus on e.bay I think I'll see what happens and maybe over time the game Devs will come up with better ideas to ease this problem in their games ...
    Trinity
    @agenttoff  do you wear glasses? I realised I needed them last year when headaches would come on in intense games/prolonged monitor work

I don't wear glasses, but I do have a bit of a lazy eye (amblyopia) which I've always guessed to be the cause of the headaches.  There's actually a game being developed for VR to help treat amblyopia, but from what I've read the price is going to be a bit insane, at $400.
  • TriskelosTriskelos Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2016
    Dchapzx said:
    Depends on the Drugs, I guess. If Oculus had been around during my misspent youth, I might not have a problem with motion sickness like I do now...lol Am trying Crystallized Ginger, we will see if that works. The Rift is Awesome, would hate to return it because of sickness. I have been following Palmer since Kickstarter. Built a PC with this in mind. Played for a bit, got a little sick, stopped for 2 days. Hope the ginger works, or it's going back to Best Buy, unfortunately.
  • MellzorMellzor Posts: 63
    Hiro Protagonist
    You just have to get used to it.
    I still get motion sick the first 1-2 times I play a new game, and after that NP.
    You also have to not be scared to jump in again after you got sick, because if you are thinking about getting sick you probably will.
    Also FPS <60 or maybe even <70 will cause some sickness.
    And ofcourse playing as a very small or very big character in a game is also confusing which causes sickness.
    I find it helps a bit really trying to immerse myself in the character, and just imagine you are flying or swimming for real or whatever the char is doing.
    Just stick with it and it'll get better.

And VR REALLY needs free movement imo, because the teleportation is so inconvenient and immersion breaking tbh...

• CoteDazurCoteDazur Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Dchapzx said:
    You can justify your curved 2D flat screen all you want, you are missing all the fun, this thread adress the few of us who are sensible to VR sickness, but a lot of us do not have any issues, I know I don't, zero sickness. 
    i had felt it once with my cell phone in a cardboard goggle experience trying to understand what VR was about, bad setup, bad idea,
    Since day one with my DK2, no issue.
  • kevink808kevink808 Posts: 803
    3Jane
    I just close my eyes.
    Rift-S, Quest 128GB, GO 64GB.
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 503
    Neo

I would say the opposite of #9 for FPS VR.  You really should stand up and turn your body in VR FPS games.  Using a trackpad or thumbstick to turn kind of defeats the purpose of first person VR.

Now cockpit sims and third person VR experiences are a completely different matter.

#9,Yeah, the list is pretty good except for this one. And, it's actually the most important one. You should definitely stand up and pretend you are moving if you have nausea while playing.

I was someone who never thought I was going to get my VR legs. I kept playing and playing, I would do 5,10, and 15 minutes sessions, to no avail. Then I got my Touch Controllers, and setup an 11' x 9' play area. 

Being able to stand up and move my head in the direction I wanted to go instantly solved my VR sickness problems. I found that standing up and physically moving my head and body helped me play all those games I could never play.

I can hop in Minecraft and wander all over the place, where before I could stand up and move my body and head, it was impossible. I actually do a small jump in real life when I jump up or down in Minecraft.

I can now play DOOM3 BFG mod for hours, and I get zero nausea. So, I would change #9!
  • nosyrbllewenosyrbllewe Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I don't get a lot of motion sickness, but rather occasional eye strain (Though that is probably because I ignore #4 as I don't want to scratch the Rift's lenses). However, sometimes my eyes focus on the screen door-effect instead of to infinity, which I noticed makes me feel a little disoriented.