New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Alien isolation CV1 and Vorpx Topic

NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
Art3mis
Hi All,

i can confirm AI works with the latest vorpx and the cv1.

only a few issues remain:

• FOV when setting to 100 it seems you are to high up in the air
  • When you move your head left or right the image tends to bend a bit
  • Need to overide xbox controller otherwise headtracking will not work

If more folks can test this and post there settings and results here i am sure we are going to have a good experience with the cv1

Comments

• TannhaeuserTannhaeuser Posts: 31
    Brain Burst
    Have my CV1 since yesterday and want to get lost in one more game. ;) So this Vorpx is mandatory to get AI working on the Rift? Never heard from that software before.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 309
    Trinity
    edited April 2016
    I've been trying it out, it does work with VorpX and a DK2 but I need to tinker with my settings more. I think the bending of the image when turning is because the FOV is slightly wrong.

• mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    edited April 2016
    Had another shot using VorpX and the DK2 after seeing your post. Its working better now with the Override Xbox Controller on. The buttons are a bit messed up now it seems. I changed the FOV to 100 and reduced the zoom to 90%, its quite good but dont think I could play through a whole game this way, it was quite disorientating and think I would constantly be getting lost. I never played AI using the built in rift mode so cant compare it to that but would like to hear if someone has tried both and can tell me how they compare.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,120 Valuable Player
    Someone on the Oculus Reddit has started work on a wrapper for runtimes lower than 1.3. He has sorted out 0.8 and 0.7 so far, but not too sure if he's going to be able to go all the way back to 0.33(?) and extended mode though. Probably not I reckon.

Here's a link to his thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/4h4afy/libovrwrapper_11_07_support_added/

What he's done so far allows you to run 0.8 and 0.7 games and demos on your CV1 which is cool. There's A LOT of stuff that you can't play using 1.3.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    Awesome news ! 
    Trinity
    I did use the built in rift mode when Alien Isolation was first released. It had some annoying problems - excessive stereo separation made everything appear too small and when using a computer terminal it would appear uncomfortably close, right on your nose. So using VorpX it is actually more playable than before.
    Art3mis
    Did you manage to remove the bending ? Which resolution do you run ?
    Trinity
    No the bending is still there, I'm using a 110 degree fov. Resolution is 960x1080.
    Art3mis
    did you adjust the games egine.xml ? can you share yours? so i can see it here?
    Trinity
    Yes, all I changed in the ENGINE_SETTINGS.xml file was the FOV and the resolution. I tried attaching the file to this post but the forum says I'm not allowed.

Basically I changed one of the resolutions to what I wanted
    <Quality name="960x1080"    resolutionX="960" resolutionY="1080"    precedence="15"/>
    and I changed one of the field of view options to this:
    <Quality name="110"     float="110.0" precedence="3"/>
    and then selected them in game.

In VorpX I'm using stereo separation of 1.77, Override Xbox Controller on. My other VorpX settings are default I think. pixel 1:1 and Zoom 1.00

I have to re-enable positional headtracking in the in-game VorpX menu each time I play.

I'm using the DK2 so my settings may be different to your ideal settings. I'm using the low resolution to match the DK2 display for performance reasons.

Today I can't see the bending of the image when turning, I wonder if it was asynchronous timewarp distorting the image when the fps got very low? I have turned all the graphics settings down. Do you still get bending?

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,161 Valuable Player
    Thanks for posting those settings do not work well on a CV1. Has some really weird affects when setting to 110 FOV.
    Art3mis
    The settings work fine for me .. no more bending think it has to do with your resolution settings of 960x1080 . it's playable but it's not perfect
  • macd81macd81 Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    I'm playing with reso 2160x1200 and 120 degree FOV on a CV1.  I changed the 3D mode to Z-adaptive for performance reasons.  Looks good, plays great!  I wanted the higher resolution so text was more easily read. Really looks nice.
    Art3mis
    Can you share all your vorpx settings ? 
  • michaelferguson81michaelferguson81 Posts: 40
    Brain Burst
    can anyone do a step by step, this seems harder then i thought 
  • teetsmcgeeteetsmcgee Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    macd81 said:
    I'm playing with reso 2160x1200 and 120 degree FOV on a CV1.  I changed the 3D mode to Z-adaptive for performance reasons.  Looks good, plays great!  I wanted the higher resolution so text was more easily read. Really looks nice.
    dont you get shadow and lighting issues? im getting those all over, ruins the game.
  • teclis17teclis17 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    ^Same here. I can't find a playable solution yet in cv1
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 486
    Trinity
    I bought VorpX ....what a fkn rip off ! ill never download their software again ...... constant messages telling me "invalid license " .. then all I get is a automated message telling me to try "insert code here " ..and still the same bloody message ...not a happy bunny regarding VorpX ... I wont recommend it to anyone
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,078
    Wintermute
    I bought VorpX ....what a fkn rip off ! ill never download their software again ...... constant messages telling me "invalid license " .. then all I get is a automated message telling me to try "insert code here " ..and still the same bloody message ...not a happy bunny regarding VorpX ... I wont recommend it to anyone
    It sounds to me like you still need to send the request code email. Have you actually gotten it to work? .. it works fine for me.
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 486
    Trinity
    sent the request code email over a dozen bloody times and got the exact same response over and over again..... I'm just really pleased that I didn't opt to purchase the disc otherwise I would have wasted even more cash ... for a company that's owned by digital river I'm totally pissed with them ..... shoddy ...very shoddy
  • bloodylibrabloodylibra Posts: 20
    NerveGear
    Vorpx suck. I wish I could get a refund. Too much work needed just to get some game to be playable.
  • Sinstalker21Sinstalker21 Posts: 253 Poster of the Week
     bloobylibra : Wow, so you expected games not made to work w/ VR to not need some tweaking just to work in VR? 
    And Striker1000....They send you an email and tell YOU what YOU need to do for them to send you the CODE.  So if you don't do what they have ASKED in the email they sent you....oh well..