New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Project Cars - Controller Problems/Poor Tracking - Not VR Optimized

I've been waiting to play Project Cars on the CV1 and I purchased it as soon as I had the Oculus Store installed. Unfortunately, Project Cars has been difficult to play because of poor controller support and problems with the controls in general, in addition to freezes and poor optimization in VR.

When I start Project Cars while wearing the Rift, the Xbox One controller doesn't work in game. To get it working properly I have to remove the headset and use the mouse to make selections on my monitor, once I use the mouse the Xbox controller starts working. However, if I have my Racing Wheel (Momo Racing) connected, I notice that once I start a race and use the wheel, the controller stops working. I've also experienced numerous freezes while attempting to exit a race while using the Racing Wheel, which forces me to close and restart the game (the controls setup for my racing wheel doesn't work well either). Because of the Racing Wheel issues I'm stuck only using the controller, and even then I can't start the game with the headset on.

In addition to these problems, I've also noticed that I loose tracking quite often when I move my head around. I don't seem to have as many tracking problems in other games. This is mostly just an annoyance though as I'm fairly stationary while driving.

It doesn't seem like Project Cars is ready for VR. Overall, my experience has been poor compared to the other games I've played in the Oculus Store. As a final note, the graphics are pretty poor in VR (low texture quality, lighting and color not optimized for Rift display) compared to the other experiences I've had so far. As someone who only wanted to play Project Cars in VR, I would say not to buy Project Cars for VR, it was made as a "flat" game and it only works well as such. 

Comments

• TremFTremF Posts: 96
    edited April 2016
    Hmmm your experience has been the total opposite of mine and many others.

I initially had problems with Project Cars in VR where the screen juddered and seemed to have multiple images even though the framerate was fine.I solved that issue by forcing the game to run in single GPU mode instead of SLI.

Now the game runs totally smooth in VR, tracking is perfect and my wireless Xbox One pad works flawlessly too. On the CV1 it looks really good.

Could it be anything to do with your PC itself rather than the game? As I said it works for myself and many others though.... I am using the Steam version but surely there shouldn't any differences that would make the Oculus Home version worse?
  • riftideriftide Posts: 5
    edited April 2016
    Thanks for another perspective. 

The game runs smooth, when I'm racing. No judder, but if I move around in game to look at the interior/controls, I notice the tracking sometimes stumbles. As I said though, it not really an issue as I'm fairly stationary while driving.

The controls are really hampering my ability to enjoy the game though. My Logitech Momo racing wheel works spectacularly in Euro Truck Simulator but Project Cars doesn't properly detect the brake. I had to manually map the brake in settings. Also, as I stated above, my experience has been that when using the wheel in a race, I lose other controls, including controller, mouse and keyboard, and I'm forced to restart the program. 

I've had zero issues with other Oculus Home games/controls and my PC. As such I can only attribute this to the game itself. You said you're using the Steam version, have you used the Oculus Home version? Curious if other's that use the Oculus Home version are having issues.
  • TremFTremF Posts: 96
    I haven't got the Oculus Home version because

A - I don't want to pay for the game twice and they won't offer an Oculus Home key unless people have all the DLC

and

B - The steam version works perfectly well, for me, and as there seems to be a problem with not many people in multiplayer on OH I think it's best to stay with the more popular Steam version.

I hope you manage to sort this out. Project Cars in VR is a fantastic experience and it's easier and more natural to race when you're properly immersed in the car. I know people hate on others for using a controller but I don't have the space for a wheel and peddles.
    Interestingly, I've experienced less motion sickness when using the controller, that's one reason why using a controller isn't so bad. Also, just go with whatever works for you.

And to piggyback on your frustration with the Oculus Store, for me it's disheartening to learn that they offer no refunds. This experience has me leaning towards making all future purchases on the Steam store.

The positive in all of this is that there will be some great racing games to come in the future, once they're specifically designed for VR. In my experience though, I just feel that Project Cars works best as a "flat" game and would need another iteration that is specifically designed for VR. 
  • ThugThug Posts: 428
    Trinity
    I had it on  OH and then bought it on Steam (after being refunded), and it worked perfectly on them both.

Occasionally I will get no response from the controller when in the menu system and I just restart the game, but only happens one in every twenty goes.

I use a wired controller and a Logitech G27 wheel.

I wonder if yours is driver or PC related..
    CPU: Intel i7-5820k @3.30GHz,
    Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX1080,
    RAM: 16GB DDR5,
    Viewed on: Oculus Rift or 28" Dell monitor (x2),
    Hard Drive: 240GB OCZ SSD (games), 128GB Samsung SSD (OS), 64GB SSD (3d),
    It looks like the problem has been replicated then, although you experience the problem less frequently. Thanks for the feedback.
  • insane2442001insane2442001 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I cant use the xbox controller to drive in project cars when oculus is plugged in plz help

• matskatsabamatskatsaba Posts: 274
    Nexus 6
    Thug said:
    I had it on  OH and then bought it on Steam (after being refunded), and it worked perfectly on them both.

Occasionally I will get no response from the controller when in the menu system and I just restart the game, but only happens one in every twenty goes.

I use a wired controller and a Logitech G27 wheel.

I wonder if yours is driver or PC related..
    Same thing.
    Have steam version, it autostarts OH, works flawlessly.
    Using wired x360 controller and logi g27.
    The pc is a bit op(5960x/64gigDdr4/gtx980ti) so never really experienced judder. Like, ever.
    The momo wheel should be working perfectly, but I haven't updated my copy for a while now.

First I`d check for driver updates (gpu, chipset, wheel), then my second try would be a game reinstall.