New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

CV1 Dropping USB connection with Inateck PCI-E

SolidSTiSolidSTi Posts: 14
NerveGear
Recently I have been having trouble with my USB 3.0 connections. They sporadically drop out, then reconnect immediately. This happens about 15-20 minutes into gameplay. Pretty annoying, since the game cannot just resume. You are required to start over. Windows makes the usb disconnected, then reconnected audio notification as  well.

Windows 10 64-bit
I am using the inateck pci-e card that the oculus rift website recommended. http://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Express-Connector-Controller-Internal/dp/B00FPIMJEW?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00

I've also updated to the latest drivers from the Inateck website. Anyone else ever experience this?

Comments

• RayvolutionRayvolution Posts: 208
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Whoa, I had the same exact problem, I also bought the Inateck card as well.

I have 2 on-board 3.0 ports, they were just in use, thats why I bought the expansion card. So what I ended up doing to fix that problem was hook the HMD into the motherboard directly, and the sensor into the PCI-E card. Now I have no problems at all as far as I can tell. Although I did get the "Your sensor is disconnected" error pop up overnight once, but that may of been a software fluke.

Did you plug in the aux power on the PCI-E card into your power supply? Maybe the hub isn't getting enough power?
  • SolidSTiSolidSTi Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    It is powered by the PSU. The oculus doesn't like my motherboard's onboard 3.0, it is an intel board from 2013.

I may try leaving the sensor on the PCI-E card, then try the HMD on the motherboard.
    Nexus 6
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, mines a Intel Board from 2011/2012. So it may just be something flaky with our hardware. :)

If you just happen to have an ASRock mobo or aother mobo with the same chipsets, you might be experiencing the same issues I was, meaning (hopefully) plugging everything in the same way I did will fix it.
  • SolidSTiSolidSTi Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    Mine is an intel, but your workaround appears to have fixed all issues for me. Thanks!
    Nexus 6
    SolidSTi said:
    Mine is an intel, but your workaround appears to have fixed all issues for me. Thanks!
    Awesome! :D
  • ctaatgenctaatgen Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here, Windows 10, INATECK PCI-E card.
    Nexus 6
    So, that's 3 of us with Win 10-64, and the same INATECK card. I think we're starting to see a pattern. :)

Maybe it's a driver issue? If so, hopefully we'll all see a driver update soonish.
  • uniquitousuniquitous Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Not got my rift yet, but I never installed any drivers for the card, and as far I can see, Inateck don't have Windows 10 drivers on their site.
  • ZuhZuh Posts: 256
    Nexus 6
    I have the same card and windows. My oculus should arrive today. I will let u know how it works. :)
  • flanXflanX Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same card with the same issue. I had to plug my external hdd's into the card and run the Rift and sensor off my mobo ports instead to get a solid connection. I'm running Windows 7. Another strange occurrence was when I plug the headset into the card, Windows detects the headset but cannot install the drivers. It detected the sensor and installed the drivers no problem, just not the headset. Don't know if anyone else has had this issue.
  • Phill3DPhill3D Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I also have the same INATECK card with windows 10 64bit, drops out about 60seconds into EVE. Re-seated everything still the same. Cant use onboard USB3 as its the asmedia ASUS mobo chipset, so stuck (although will try this next). Had CV1 for half a week still not actually played anything - frustrating. I also had the driver install issue on the rift audio but after a couple of reboots it had installed ok and that works. 
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    I have that card and I have an issue where I have to restart my computer twice before it starts working. It sometimes cuts out after that, too.
    My monitor has a small USB 3 hub built in, which I have connected to the card, maybe I should try unplugging that. The Rift is not going through that. That hub also doesn't work when the Rift doesn't.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    I don't have my Rift yet, so I can't test whether the Inateck card will work as expected. However, I have read that some users were able to resolve disconnection problems by ensuring that the power options in the OS were not powering down any USB devices.
  • Phill3DPhill3D Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have a semi workaround for me, left the sensor in the INATECK usb 3 but moved the Rift to my onboard X79  usb 2. So far ok (15mins) which would have shown the problem by now. The audio is fine and the rift is fine so the rift itself can be usb 2 powered. In the oculus devices sensor and headset are green
  • H4TEH4TE Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    Have you guys checked if there is any kind of power saving going on which may interfere?
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    hatec0re said:
    Have you guys checked if there is any kind of power saving going on which may interfere?
    I believe that was the point of my previous post...or did you somehow miss my post? :confused: 
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
    Trinity
    Uninstall the Inateck drivers and reinstall the windows drivers, problem solved. I updated to the new drivers and it removed the warnings but then I started getting the disconnects. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Windows drivers and now it works perfectly again. The warnings are now back but the Windows drivers work flawlessly.

• H4TEH4TE Posts: 144
    Art3mis
    hatec0re said:
    I believe that was the point of my previous post...or did you somehow miss my post? :confused: 
    I did not miss it, i just skipped it after the reading the first sentence as i were in my bed already (at least in my head).
  • weasel47weasel47 Posts: 301
    Trinity
    edited June 2016
    weasel47 said:
    I have that card and I have an issue where I have to restart my computer twice before it starts working. It sometimes cuts out after that, too.
    My monitor has a small USB 3 hub built in, which I have connected to the card, maybe I should try unplugging that. The Rift is not going through that. That hub also doesn't work when the Rift doesn't.
    Quoting my earlier post to follow up and say:
    I disconnected my monitor's hub from the Inateck card (moved it to another USB 3 slot) and things seem to be better now.  Maybe it was drawing too much power?  If that was the problem, I hope I can still handle a second Oculus sensor camera when Touch comes along.

Edit: I spoke too soon.  I jinxed myself.
    Before, I was having USB connection issues when I first started up.  Now it's fine at first, but something is happening (I'm not certain that it's a USB issue, but it could be) after a few minutes and disconnecting the HMD briefly.  https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/33938/rift-turning-off-after-about-30-40-mins-of-play

Edit again: It's possible that the USB extension (the one recommended by Cyber) is to blame for my new issues.  I removed it and things have been ok so far.
  • tommettommet Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016

I've also updated to the latest drivers from the Inateck website. Anyone else ever experience this?
    Yep.  I was running an Alienware Aurora R3 with an i7 2600 and Window 7.  The Rift could not maintain the connection.  However mine was dropping out after just a few minutes and the driver would freak out and start reporting generic USB problems.  Pity, the PC was more than fast enough to handle the rift.  I know the PS wasn't an issue - it was rated at 825W, and the PC had been stable as a rock till the rift showed up.

I suspect it was something due to the MB system bus.

Ultimately, my kid got a new computer as I built a new PC (6700k, windows 10) specifically for the rift and have used the onboard USB ports with no issues. 

I just *today* pulled that Oculus recommended inatek card out of my old PC because I need a few more USB ports and although I have some free headers on the MB - well - that card is on hand.  So far, the default Windows 10 drivers have had zero issues with that inatek card.  But I'm not quite ready to completely trust it yet.
  • HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    edited June 2016
    I actually installed the Windows 7 drivers and that fixed everything for me...even though I am using Windows 10.  I believe their drivers have some sort of power management...
  • tommettommet Posts: 107
    Hiro Protagonist
    Can you give a link to the driver you installed?  It might help someone down the road.  I used the one I found on their web page, and it gave me nothing but problems.

Neo
    edited June 2016
    I've been trying, but it keeps saying my posting needs to be approved whenever I include the URL. I just used the Windows 7 "Latest" driver from the page on the inateck web site. After you download it, you have to run the "Flusbxxx.msi" to start the installation.  The card will then appear as an "Inateck" card rather than just the generic one that the Windows 10 legacy driver reports it as.
  • lobotimerlobotimer Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    I was using my only two motherboard USB 3.0 ports for the first few weeks of using my Rift. I needed more ports so I bought the Inatech. When I installed the Inatech card, I inserted the driver disk right away and installed the drivers. I then started to have the issue of dropping the usb connection every few minutes. After I removed the Inatech drivers and just used the Windows default drivers, I have not had a disconnect yet.
    Neo
    tommet said:
    Can you give a link to the driver you installed?  It might help someone down the road.  I used the one I found on their web page, and it gave me nothing but problems.

It was from this link: 

http://www.inateck.com//down.hm?k=9665879cc9fc080fe892585b29aa787b

Then I launched the FLUSB3.0-3.5.196,0.x64msi installer file.  Suddenly my card was recognized as an actual Inateck card and not the generic card the Windows 10 drivers declare it as.  The only time I've lost the USB connection now is when my computer went into hi

Neo
    tommet said:

It was from this link: 

http://www.inateck.com//down.hm?k=9665879cc9fc080fe892585b29aa787b

Then I launched the FLUSB3.0-3.5.196,0.x64msi installer file.  Suddenly my card was recognized as an actual Inateck card and not the generic card the Windows 10 drivers declare it as.  The only time I've lost the USB connection now is when my computer went into hi

• Log_a_FrogLog_a_Frog Posts: 1,045
    Trinity
    edited December 2016
    Turn off the power saving option with the Sensor in device manager
    Disable some of the other usb ports.
  • ElunedraElunedra Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'll join the club of poeple who got this problem
  • stevew46stevew46 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I'll join the club too  
  • dreadnbutterdreadnbutter Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Same.. with the Inatech 3.6.9a drivers, getting disconnects constantly.  Windows drivers, do not disconnect, but have warning about driver and also, intermittently, will have latency from the HMD if plugged into the Inatech on windows drivers.