cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just discovered Altspace VR

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
...and it's AWESOME! Sure it's rough, simple, basic, but it's sooo cool to be able to talk in VR with people from all over the world. I know this kind of avatar/chat rooms exist since many years, but doing in VR add one more layer of authenticity, and I simply love it. I love it so much that after my first experience, I went immediately on Amazon and I purchased LEAP Motion so I can have hands and fingers in Altspace VR. And it's really cool.
Now I'm all set, I only need one last thing: my goddamn CV1... 😕

See ya in the hangout room!
6 REPLIES 6

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Yes, I think stuff like this is really really cool. My friends are spread out all over the world and being able to be in the same place as them(even if only virtually) will be really really cool. I hope programs like this take off and mature in to really awesome virtual hangouts.

But like you, they too(my friends) are waiting for their Rifts.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
Honestly though, for something as simple as this, my DK2 works just fine, I don't feel the need of a CV1 for it, since the visuals are so basics. It has to work on mobile, so the graphic is very simple. I'm surprised how many people have a Gear VR over the people with the Vive/Rift. 😮

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Oh, BTW if you don't know already - make sure to use the Orion software for LEAP motion ( from here https://developer.leapmotion.com/orion ) instead of the default software. Orion tracks WAY better.

Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer

Blyss4226 said:

Oh, BTW if you don't know already - make sure to use the Orion software for LEAP motion ( from here https://developer.leapmotion.com/orion ) instead of the default software. Orion tracks WAY better.

Yeah actually you MUST use Orion, the default Leap software is not compatible with the latest version of Altspace.

Blyss4226
Rising Star
Good to know. I'll definitely give Altspace a try. My Leap Motion mounting thingy will arrive... sometime lol. I tried a couple of hackish ways to mount it to my Rift but it didn't really work. The backside of the leap motion just does not like to stick to tape or hot glue or anything like that >< I bet that was a plan to make you HAVE to get the mount lol.

Also, my friends don't have DK2s or anything like that so they are stuck outside of VR until whenever their CV1s arrive. One of them has even been charged for his(on April 13) and contacted Oculus Support who said "We were JUST about to ship your Rift out, but then a small delay happened." Wat? How can you be THAT close to shipping it out and then suddenly a new delay? The other friend has a June estimate now(originally April) so yeah, who knows when they will be able to join me >_< We have wanted to hang out in VR since we knew VR was gonna be a thing.

Edit: Also, Gear VR came free to people who preordered Galaxy S7s, so that may have something to do with how many are out there. Dunno for sure, but it seems likely.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer

Blyss4226 said:

Good to know. I'll definitely give Altspace a try. My Leap Motion mounting thingy will arrive... sometime lol. I tried a couple of hackish ways to mount it to my Rift but it didn't really work. The backside of the leap motion just does not like to stick to tape or hot glue or anything like that >< I bet that was a plan to make you HAVE to get the mount lol.

No I don't have the mount, I simply used transparent packing tape, in this way I don't cover the tracking sensors of the DK2. But I did order the official mount for CV1, let's see which one will arrive first, the Leap mount or the headset... 😕