cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z170-A motherboard incompatibility?

Fahrenuf
Explorer
Since the day I received my Rift (CV1), I've been plagued with sensor/tracking and sound issues. Occasionally, head tracking will stop. Either the gyroscopic tracking freezes for a second (scene does not rotate when head is turned) or camera tracking will stop (rotation works but the scene moves with me when I move the location of my head). Sometimes it will start quickly teleporting me around the scene too. On top of all this, sometimes the sound will completely stop mid-game.

I've noticed this is multiple games and at the Oculus Home. It is most prevalent in Lucky's Tale and second most at the Home. Oddly, it never seems to happen in Farlands.

System specs:
Asus A170-A motherboard
Intel i5 6600K (not overclocked currently)
MSI Geforce 970 Gaming 4G
Inateck Superspeed 7 port PCI-E to USB 3.0 card (the recommended card)
G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB RAM
750 watt power supply

Troubleshooting steps taken:
* Clean installed Windows 10 64 with minimal setup afterwards
* Bought and installed the Inateck recommended PCI-E to USB card (attached the power). Connected both devices to this card and nothing else. Disconnected all other unnecessary devices.
* Attached the Rift to my son's system (i5 2500K and same exact video card model). It worked perfectly fine on his system.
* Using the Xbox controller wired.
* Removed all sources of IR in the room that I could.
* Tried all combinations of USB slots including USB 2.0.
* Swapped my keyboard and mouse with my son's system
* Disabled the power management options via device manager
* Built in sound on motherboard is disabled via the bios
* Darkened the room
* Re-positioned the camera

Through my online and forum searches, I've found a few people complain of similar issues. Two of those mentioned which motherboard they are using. Both had the same motherboard as me (Asus Z170-A). I build this system for the Rift and it appears that I made a bad motherboard choice. Does anyone else have this motherboard with no tracking or sound issues using the Rift? Any ideas I could try, other than dropping another $150 for a new motherboard. While I don't know what else it could be, I'm afraid it won't fix the issue.
43 REPLIES 43

stigbeater
Honored Guest
i have the same board and had this issue so went to the asus site and downloaded the latest usb 3.0 drivers with oculus fixes in and now all works fine.

Fahrenuf
Explorer
The latest USB drivers from the Asus site didn't fix my issue. If yours is working flawlessly now, then there might be hope for my system.

cybereality
Grand Champion
Do you have another computer you can test on? I'd also not rule out that the Rift cable could be defective.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Fahrenuf
Explorer
I tested it on my son's system for a few hours. It worked flawlessly.

Fahrenuf
Explorer
I should add, that after all the troubleshooting I've done, I believe the camera is functioning properly now. I haven't seen the teleporting or issue with moving my head recently. Both of these are camera related. I am still having the problem with head rotation hiccuping and sound cutting out. I am mostly seeing these issues in Lucky's Tale. To a lesser degree in The Climb, Elite Dangerous, and Home.

frviana
Protege
Fixed the problem with a workaround. I also have an ASUS but the Z87-A. The motherboard disconnects a USB 3.0 and reconnects every time Oculus makes a change in Policy for Power.
Change your power settings to Performance, change in advanced to disable power change on USB and then execute the instructions from this link -> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/specify-custom-active-power-plan-windows

This will prevent windows and other applications to change the power settings.
It solved my problem.

Fahrenuf
Explorer
My issue was solved last night! Went into the bios and reset it to defaults. On saving, it informed me that it was disabling XMP and setting my 3000MHz ram down to 2666MHz default bios settings (along with a few other changes related to this). Rebooted and everything is working great!

frviana
Protege
Did you try to set your memory speed back to 3000MHz to see if you isolate the problem?
I want to get to the bottom of this as well.

Fahrenuf
Explorer
I'll mess with the setting this weekend and get back with anything I find. Last night I just wanted to play. 🙂