New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Vive arrived this afternoon!

notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
Wintermute
edited May 2016 in General
And, whilst I'd love to tell you all how amazeballs it is, the simple fact is that I haven't managed to get it set up yet!

Got home from work this afternoon. Frantically started to get it all put together. And found out I'd bought the wrong bloody display adaptor! So it's all sitting here ready to go, lighthouses connected without a hitch, wands charged up and ready, but can't actually use the thing.

Ordered the (hopefully) correct one from Amazon and it's arriving tomorrow. So maybe then I'll get to give it a blast :) It's all set up and ready to go apart from that.

And yes, I know I should have probably posted this on a Vive thread, but thought you'd all enjoy a laugh at my stupidity!

Comments

• SlimBoyFatSlimBoyFat Posts: 129
    Art3mis
    Glad you finally got it but sucks that it's a dead weight until you receive the new adaptor!
    Intel i7 4770K @ 4.5 GHz | Asus Z87 MAXIMUS VI HERO | 16GB 2133MHz | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB GDDR5 | Samsung 500GB SSD | Thrustmaster TX | Occulus Rift DK2
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Yeah, sucks big time. But it's my own stupid fault. I bought the display adaptor weeks ago, but never thought to check it :p
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,313 Valuable Player
    Good Stuff, hope you have fun. I found the Lab amazing even with just an old pair of hydras.
  • SyntheticSynthetic Posts: 704
    Trinity
    steam discussions are almost as bad as "channel 4" 
  • DLC1DLC1 Posts: 99
    Hiro Protagonist
    notsram said:
    And, whilst I'd love to tell you all how amazeballs it is, the simple fact is that I haven't managed to get it set up yet!

Got home from work this afternoon. Frantically started to get it all put together. And found out I'd bought the wrong bloody display adaptor! So it's all sitting here ready to go, lighthouses connected without a hitch, wands charged up and ready, but can't actually use the thing.

Ordered the (hopefully) correct one from Amazon and it's arriving tomorrow. So maybe then I'll get to give it a blast :) It's all set up and ready to go apart from that.

And yes, I know I should have probably posted this on a Vive thread, but thought you'd all enjoy a laugh at my stupidity!

Id love to here your thoughts on vive when you get it set up.... I have a rift preorder but may cancel soon and buy vive.....I got to demo vive last summer and i was amazed with it to the point I swore id be first in line, I preordered rift thinking id get it a lot earlier but have been really questioning if I made a good decision because that's just how great vive was, I think you are going to love it.
  • KLOWN2KLOWN2 Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    I think i am satisfied with HTC VIVE enough that I don't need Oculus vr since it is delivered incomplete anyways I ordered the AuraVisor instead of the Oculus but I will keep the order for now to see what happens with the bullshit pre-orders until maybe I might get lucky and the touch controllers will come out at the same time they deliver my unit never know.
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 4,044 Valuable Player
    Nice one OP you've well documented your progress and now you're at the last hurdle. 

@KLOWN2 - hey nice to see a fellow AuraVisor backer. Still waiting for James to ship these out. I really wonder how it will compare to the Vive and Rift Gear VR quality wise.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Wintermute
    DLC1 said:
    notsram said:

Id love to here your thoughts on vive when you get it set up.... I have a rift preorder but may cancel soon and buy vive.....I got to demo vive last summer and i was amazed with it to the point I swore id be first in line, I preordered rift thinking id get it a lot earlier but have been really questioning if I made a good decision because that's just how great vive was, I think you are going to love it.
    My new cable is arriving today. So hopefully I'll be ready to go this evening. Everything else is set up. Was a doddle to install - lighthouses connected first time (without the sync cable) and wands paired up by themselves. I just haven't been able to test the headset yet. Hopefully just a matter of plugging the cable in and I'm away.

I'm off work on Thursday and Friday, so will have plenty of time to test it. Will try and post something in the Vive review thread.
    What games you got lined up?

Wintermute
    Haven't bought any yet. But have downloaded virtually every demo on the steam store - plus the bundled games of course.

I do have Elite Dangerous, so will try that. I'll also have a go at getting the Oculus store stuff (Luckey's Tale, etc) to run at some point.
  • crim3crim3 Posts: 385
    Nexus 6
    Looking forward to your firsts impressions.
    Well here's a few recommendations

Space Pirate Trainer
    The Gallery Episode 1
    Audioshield
    Revive Injector (so you can play Oculus games)

I think you're going to be well busy.

• Ryder35Ryder35 Posts: 66
    Hiro Protagonist
    One tip, before you run the setup update the firmware on the wands. I had an issue where the floor calibration button was not displaying, causing me to be 6 foot underground when the tutorial started. Updating the FW fixed it.
    Wintermute
    Well here's a few recommendations

Space Pirate Trainer
    The Gallery Episode 1
    Audioshield
    Revive Injector (so you can play Oculus games)

I think you're going to be well busy.
    I've got a very small play area,  so will be limited to sitting/standing stuff only, but yeah... plenty to choose from!
    Wintermute
    Ryder35 said:
    One tip, before you run the setup update the firmware on the wands. I had an issue where the floor calibration button was not displaying, causing me to be 6 foot underground when the tutorial started. Updating the FW fixed it.
    Thanks. I'll bear that in mind. I've already gone through some of the setup stuff (got as far as the box at the bottom of the screen showing the status of the HMD, wands and lighthouses - all green except the Vive as its not properly connected), but haven't got any further.

Is there a menu option to update the firmware? Or do I download it? Am at work ATM, so can't check :)
    Right click the Steam VR tab in the overlay to go to settings then select devices then update firmware. It will then list all devices firmware status.

Wintermute
    Awesome. Thanks!
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 798
    Neo
    notsram said:
    My new cable is arriving today. So hopefully I'll be ready to go this evening. Everything else is set up. Was a doddle to install - lighthouses connected first time (without the sync cable) and wands paired up by themselves. I just haven't been able to test the headset yet. Hopefully just a matter of plugging the cable in and I'm away.

I'm off work on Thursday and Friday, so will have plenty of time to test it. Will try and post something in the Vive review thread.
    Hey @notsram I caved in and bought an unopened Vive off another forum and hoping it arrives soon so looking to get as much set up as I can before it arrives. My GTX 980ti only has 1 HDMI output and I need to use that to get 4K 60Hz 444 to my TV/Monitor. What cable/adapter did you go for? Is it better to get a Mini Display Port to Display Port cable or a Mini DP to HDMI adapter?

Wintermute
    I have a GTX 980. Cable I've ordered is below... fingers crossed this one works!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00Z05JMKO/ref=pe_385721_131008271_TE_dp_1
    Neo
    Cheers, hope it works for you, let me know how you get on.

Im still in two minds where to setup the vive so I may need longer cables but wasnt sure if you could go from display port hdmi or if it had to be display port to the mini dp on the link box.
    Wintermute
    Cable has just landed so I'll let you know...
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Cool thanks,

Ive just ordered this one, but I might order the one you got too if it works just to be on the safe side
  • godwispergodwisper Posts: 203
    Nexus 6
    nice seeing another happy vive user :) mine is still stuck in Germany hopefully end week or next will be here. Give us a good review once you have all up and running :)
  • VizionVRVizionVR Posts: 3,022
    Wintermute
    Alright @notsram!
    I expect a full report. You should be fine with AudioShield, even with your small space. Space Pirate Trainer however...

Quick tip, when you calibrate your floor, lay the controllers down with the triggers pointed upward. Otherwise your floor might be a couple inches higher than your real floor.
    Not a Rift fanboi. Not a Vive fanboi. I'm a VR fanboi. Get it straight.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Is Johnny Vive alive?

J5.png 44.6K
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
    Wintermute
    Well, the cable seems to work. Everything is greenlighted. I get to the point where it asks me to put on my headset. Image appears on the PC monitor (and tracks correctly), but no display on the Vive... I think I've done something silly somewhere!
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,328
    Project 2501
    What display adapter did you need out of curiosity? I'm just wondering why it didn't come with everything it needed? Can you please show me a picture of what you had to buy?
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    edited May 2016
    Try the option to reboot the headset on the system tab under settings devices. Also make sure you turn the camera down to 30hz to begin as this can interfere at 60 hz. and results in a grey screen.

Is the red or green light displayed on the headset?

What does the system window status say? Are they all solid green or any flashing?

Neo
    edited May 2016
    have you tried using the hdmi cable that came with it? 

My backup plan for tomorrow if the Mini DP to Dp cable doesnt work is to use the HDMI for the vive and temporarily use a DP to HDMI Adapter for my monitor
    Wintermute
    Sussed it. PC was in low power mode so display ports wern't working properly