cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those upset about the retail situation

Map63Vette
Adventurer
You are most likely looking at it wrong.  In all likelihood, Oculus had contracts with retailers before you ever placed a pre-order, so they are really the first in line in a certain sense.  They are just re-selling the units that they bought from Oculus to other users, so it's no different than someone selling them on Ebay, except they are selling them at retail and not inflated prices.

You can't be upset that other people who haven't pre-ordered are getting Rifts before you because if you want a Rift today, you can get one.  I can buy one on Ebay and have it tomorrow having never placed a pre-order for one or backed the Kickstarter or anything.  I might be paying twice the price, but it's no different than someone going to Best Buy/Amazon/Microsoft and buying one, the only difference being they're getting a better deal than me.
17 REPLIES 17

GenetixStudio
Superstar
What you said makes sense - but I still feel a bit angry about it. They should have been able to deliver pre-ordered products before retail release. That is what a pre-order is for isn't it? I could buy a Rift on ebay for a hugely marked up price, and risk it coming in damaged - but why should I have to, I was in line first thing that morning on January 6th to support this company. I want my Rift.

JettStiles
Adventurer
I don't believe the community is pissed about the people who stood in line and got their rift - they are pissed about Oculus and how they treat their most loyal fans and customers.

Truth is - most of the folks waiting since early January have been following and supporting Oculus for years now (even long before they got bought by Facebook). I reckon most of those peeps feel kinda shafted by Oculus' policy now...

Just go and read some of the mayor rants that started since preorder opened: Higher price than expected, botched launch, component shortage, delayed shipping, RMA issues...etc - at some point people just have enough of being bullshitted.
Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor

Syrellaris
Rising Star
I'm not pissed at people buying Rifts in a Retail store. I just Feel(a personal feeling) that oculus should have handled things differently the moment they knew they had issues. I mean, I think most people here knew Oculus had made deals with Retailers and well Contracts have to be fulfilled.

However posting tweets and the likes like "oh this is a good thing for people that pre-ordered" is obviously  a slap in peoples faces, when they are still waiting on there Rifts and are looking at a near month and a half delay on there order.

It's just a sour feeling, people will get over it eventually.

Map63Vette
Adventurer

What you said makes sense - but I still feel a bit angry about it. They should have been able to deliver pre-ordered products before retail release. That is what a pre-order is for isn't it? I could buy a Rift on ebay for a hugely marked up price, and risk it coming in damaged - but why should I have to, I was in line first thing that morning on January 6th to support this company. I want my Rift.

Right, I get people being annoyed about it and they do have some right to be, though I think some people are blowing it way out of proportion.  In a perfect world if you compared it to something like a video game, then all pre-orders should be delivered at the same time retailers get their units and everyone gets it at the same time.  This would mean a huge stockpile building up somewhere until they all go out at once, but it's also quite a bit easier to burn copies of a disc than to make whole new pieces of hardware, so it's probably not the best parallel.

I feel most for the people that have followed it from the very beginning and supported it since its infancy.  They really do deserve units before anyone else and I agree that was a pretty big let down and poorly handled.  The people rage quitting because Oculus sent out what is probably less than a few hundred units to retailers are the ones that need a bit of a reality check.  Did they ever publish just how many units were available at retailers?  I'd be curious to know what the actual number was.  Sounds like 5-6 per Best Buy (so ~250-300 units there) plus whatever Amazon and Microsoft got, which sounds like it was maybe only 5 units apiece.

Map63Vette
Adventurer

I'm not pissed at people buying Rifts in a Retail store. I just Feel(a personal feeling) that oculus should have handled things differently the moment they knew they had issues. I mean, I think most people here knew Oculus had made deals with Retailers and well Contracts have to be fulfilled.

However posting tweets and the likes like "oh this is a good thing for people that pre-ordered" is obviously  a slap in peoples faces, when they are still waiting on there Rifts and are looking at a near month and a half delay on there order.

I don't deny that.  It did seem like a pretty odd PR spin.  It would have been nice if they had been more upfront about any retail deals as well.

Syrellaris
Rising Star

I don't deny that.  It did seem like a pretty odd PR spin.  It would have been nice if they had been more upfront about any retail deals as well.

I pretty much still don't understand the reason he tweeted that, i found it quite a bit of an insult instead of good PR haha. So yeah in that regard it was an odd PR spin.

Oculus has a lot to learn that is a given, hopefully they have learned something from this fiasco at least.
Still... I'm still waiting on my rift and have no desire to purchase a vive or anything at this point.

It is a Sour experience for me but at least I got over it and am just patiently waiting. I think most of that is thanks to the good work of @cybereality on these forums though.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I'm thinking of pulling the plug on my order and waiting until everything has settled down. I then hope that CV1 or some other device is easy to get hold of and return if faulty. 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

I don't believe the community is pissed about the people who stood in line and got their rift - they are pissed about Oculus and how they treat their most loyal fans and customers.

But isn't the problematic delivery of the first official CV1 the real test of a loyal fanbase? Those who are understanding and waiting seem loyal, whereas those completely outraged to the point of aggressive behavior are far from loyal (and far from sane). I think people tend to confuse "commitment" with "loyalty" in that people think because they were committed to the Pre-Order button and their Forum Account that they were loyal enough to be "entitled" to receive their product free of any and all timing complications.

What I witness in most cases around this community is entitlement, not loyalty.

xi11ix
Adventurer

You are most likely looking at it wrong.  In all likelihood, Oculus had contracts with retailers before you ever placed a pre-order, so they are really the first in line in a certain sense.  They are just re-selling the units that they bought from Oculus to other users, so it's no different than someone selling them on Ebay, except they are selling them at retail and not inflated prices.

You can't be upset that other people who haven't pre-ordered are getting Rifts before you because if you want a Rift today, you can get one.  I can buy one on Ebay and have it tomorrow having never placed a pre-order for one or backed the Kickstarter or anything.  I might be paying twice the price, but it's no different than someone going to Best Buy/Amazon/Microsoft and buying one, the only difference being they're getting a better deal than me.

Yeah, I'm not sure why people are getting all bent out of shape about this. I preordered my Nexus6 from Google and a friend got his from ATT on launch day before I got mine. When Apple releases a new iPhone the stores also get them on launch day even if all the preorders have not been filled. This is not new or out of the ordinary.

I imagine Oculus went to bestbuy and asked how much of each batch they wanted for their stores long before preorders were open.