AMD GPU won't clock above 501MHz when Oculus Home open — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

AMD GPU won't clock above 501MHz when Oculus Home open

ModnaModna Posts: 7

GPU: HD7950 (basically 280/380)

I have ran this on amd driver 16.3.2  and 16.5.1. No matter what I do or what settings I change in MSI Afterburner, my GPU won't clock above 501 MHz when Oculus Home is open. If I close it and launch a game like borderlands, my clocks go up and everything is happy. If I toss on my headset while the game is running, oculus home launches automatically and the GPU drops to 501. 

The situation is the same in Oculus games, causing massive stuttering to the point where nothing is useable.

If I run like ProjectCars from steam, it works dandy. Anyone seem similar issues?

Comments

• jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    Someone else brought this topic up some time ago. May want to search for the thread to see if they resolved this.
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 973
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    How many displays you got connected to your GPU? And what mode you have your windows set to? Extended or Duplicate? I think it could have something to do with that but not 100% sure.
  • ModnaModna Posts: 7
    I have been searching this forum and reddit for 2 days and haven't found anything useful. Someone on reddit said they saw someone else with the same issue but that was all.

For displays I only have a single monitor on DVI and the Oculus on HDMI.
  • jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
  • Blyss4226Blyss4226 Posts: 549 Poster of the Week
    I have trouble with my r9 290 not clocking up when OH is open but I can override it in MSI Afterburner which is what I do. Not sure what's causing this at all. Since it's relevant to the topic I have a single monitor on a Displayport->VGA converter(the DVI port on my monitor got it's EDID fried a while back).
    Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
    Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD
    Thanks for the input. I can't seem or override it in afterburner but the USB unplugging trick worked well. It doesn't want to seem to go to my overclocks, but at least it runs up to stock clocks. 

I can't wait for an actual fix

This doesn't seem to work for games outside of Oculus Home. It will clock my GPU back up but if I launch Project Cars now it seems to reset itself back to 501 mhz
  • Blyss4226Blyss4226 Posts: 549 Poster of the Week
    It only happens sometimes for me so I'm not sure it's a related issue. However it could also be that I generally don't restart my PC and I do unplug my Rift when I'm not using it, so it may be that I'm causing that sort of trick anyway.
    Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD
    Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD