New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Oculus Ready PC only has 1 HDMI port

I connect my Monitor through USB connection and I need to also connect the Rift to a USB port.

I found this Adaptor on ebay. Would this work, so I can connect both the Monitor and the Rift?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181533846519?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Comments

• This is urgent. Please can someone say it works or it doesn't? I need to know if I should buy it now or not
  • BucketsBuckets Posts: 68
    If it's an actual "Oculus Ready Pc" it should have another HDMI port. look to see if there is any way to access the GPU's ports. Maybe it's hidden behind a plastic shield. 
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,272
    3Jane
    If it's urgent, you should go to a nearby retail shop and ask for the right adapter : You get the right advice, save one day, and if they provide you the wrong product you can bring it back right away for the right one.

But first check the box for adapters (and maybe a phone number), because it sounds crazy an Oculus Ready PC would only provide one HDMI, and even more crazy that you would be the only one to come complain about it.
  • BJoyntBJoynt Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Mine only has one hdmi. I'm running one monitor on dvi and a second with a DisplayPort to hdmi. 
  • DeusVDeusV Posts: 2
    Yeah, I bought one of those Oculus ready PC bundles, mine came with a monitor that had a video connector the PC didn't even have. Only 1 HDMI port as well.  I ended up buying an adapter for the monitor and plugging the Oculus into the HDMI port.
  • in6secondsin6seconds Posts: 405
    Nexus 6
    my asus oculus ready pc has two hdmi ports in the back, but only one of them works.
  • I found this image on Google that is almost identical to my PC. Can you take a look and let me know if you spot something that can resolve my issue
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    I found this image on Google that is almost identical to my PC. Can you take a look and let me know if you spot something that can resolve my issue
    ...theres a HDMI right above the one your using? From what I can make out it has 2 displayports and 2 hdmi.

If you really do only have 1 HDMI then get a cable for your monitor to use display port.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    The DK2 came with an HDMI→DVI adapter, does the CV1 not have that? Even if it doesn't, go and pick one up and use the DVI output on the video card.
    The DK2 came with an HDMI→DVI adapter, does the CV1 not have that? Even if it doesn't, go and pick one up and use the DVI output on the video card.
    No it doesn't come with any adapter. I think its best to let the rift use the HDMI and then use the adapter/other cable for his monitor.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    Ok, leaving that component out seems a bit of an oversight, then!

FrozenPea said:
    I think its best to let the rift use the HDMI and then use the adapter/other cable for his monitor.
    Yes, that's what I meant...should have made that clearer, sorry.
  • DoctorFateDoctorFate Posts: 168
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    @michaelm9945 , I also bought the Alienware oculus ready bundle and got the same computer. In your pic at the top left where it indicates the second HDMI port there should be a very tiny little cap with a circle with a slash through it. It's very very hard to get out (needed to use a tiny sharp knife initially to pry it up) but once the cap is off underneath is a fully functional HDMI port. Hope that helps! (By the way I was confused at first too)
    @michaelm9945 , I also bought the Alienware oculus ready bundle and got the same computer. In your pic at the top left where it indicates the second HDMI port there should be a very tiny little cap with a circle with a slash through it. It's very very hard to get out (needed to use a tiny sharp knife initially to pry it up) but once the cap is off underneath is a fully functional HDMI port. Hope that helps! (By the way I was confused at first too)
    I'm pretty sure the reason they do that is because it's the motherboard HDMI port which you shouldn't be using, hence why it was so hard to get off! :smile: 

You want to make sure you are only using your graphics card ports!
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,237 Valuable Player
    Most of the top-end video cards have only one HDMI port. I have a GTX 980, same thing--one HDMI, one DVI, three Display Ports. Use the HDMI for the Rift, and either a Display Port or the DVI (with an adapter if necessary) for your monitor.

Don't use that other HDMI up by the USB ports! That's the integrated video of your motherboard. If you use that, you're not going through your dedicated video card, and you'll have crap performance for gaming or VR.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ECBLECBL Posts: 53
    @michaelm9945
    Yea this pissed me off when I got mine. It's a simple fix, but unacceptable considering it's supposed to be "Oculus Ready".
    Anyways, I ended up getting an HDMI (female) to Display Port (male) adapter to run my monitor through one of the like 4 display ports. That freed up the only useable HDMI for the Rift.
    Needless to say I had gotten an Asus 19" monitor with my bundle and it ONLY had VGA out lol. Ridiculous considering the VGA out on my rift ready PC comes disabled anyways.
    But yea, if you haven't done so already, get yourself one of those adapters. They run about $8-12
  • drchandlerdrchandler Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    sure wish i'd read these a week ago.  you think it pissed you off in may? try watching your nine year old thrilled to see what santa brought, only to realize he couldn't use it till we can find an adapter. try explaining how the elves could have screwed that up! what's the point in calling it oculus ready when it clearly is not!
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,228 Valuable Player
    sure wish i'd read these a week ago.  you think it pissed you off in may? try watching your nine year old thrilled to see what santa brought, only to realize he couldn't use it till we can find an adapter. try explaining how the elves could have screwed that up! what's the point in calling it oculus ready when it clearly is not!
    The hardware requirements clearly say it requires an HDMI output.  If you're using an HDMI monitor also then you do the math.

Also the minimum suggested age to use the Rift is 13, why would you buy it for a 9 year old?
  • Arock387Arock387 Posts: 722
    Trinity
    yeah my 980 only has one HDMI so I use that for my rift but that's fine because I have a 4k monitor so I use displayport for that.
  • rscarpa123rscarpa123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have a 2 hdmi ports. 1 I use to monitor and another don't recognize my oculus rift. What can I do?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Make sure the Rift is plugged into the primary dedicated graphics card on HDMI. You cannot use motherboard (integrated) GPUs so make sure nothing is plugged into any motherboard video ports. You can also try using your monitor on another port of the graphics card like DisplayPort.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    my 980ti has dvi out and hdmi out, dvi goes to monitor and hdmi to rift

Make sure the Rift is plugged into the primary dedicated graphics card on HDMI. You cannot use motherboard (integrated) GPUs so make sure nothing is plugged into any motherboard video ports. You can also try using your monitor on another port of the graphics card like DisplayPort

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
  • drefk2000drefk2000 Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    Your NINE-year old belives in Santa? Wow
    Intel Core i7 6850K 3,6 GHz 15MB @ 4,7GHz cooled by Noctua NH-U9S on MSI X99A Raider
    Corsair Vengence LPX 64GB (8x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz @ 3200 MHz
    2x  MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Aero OC in SLI (SLI disabled when in VR)
    HyperX Predator 480GB M.2 and 4x Samsung 750-Series 250Gb in raid 0
    Oculus Cv1. Win10 pro. Hotas Warthog. 3xLG 24" monitors
  • Comic_Book_GuyComic_Book_Guy Posts: 1,077 Poster of the Week
    My GPU only has one HDMI port too. It's kind of strange to need two of them. Usually you use displayport or DVI. Use a adapter if you insist on mirroring on your TV.