cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This Lens Flare/Glare Issue Is INSANE

jhoward4444
Explorer
So I've owned a DK2 since May 2015. Been playing games for quite some time and have even used it for the past month. I've been in the home screen, played a dozen games/experiences, and never quite experienced anything even remotely close to this. There is an absurd halo affect/lens flare/whatever you want to call it. Just looking at the prices in the home/store screen you can see a halo affect around all the numbers. I loaded up the Unreal demo and the logo puts off this terrible glare that literally makes it embarrassing to look at to think that it's correct. In the 360 video screen it's noticeable everywhere I look. As soon as I put my headset on I anticipated a much clearer picture than on my DK2, however I'm gifted with the atrocity of these flares. 

I've seen some complaints about this, but there is no way it can possibly be this bad, can it? Outside of clarity, my DK2 experience is far superior from a strictly visual standpoint of not having to look at these rays/lines/flares/glares. This is on the verge of unacceptable and I can't even imagine continuing to move forward with this. It is bad enough to where I can see myself either developing headaches or simply overall displeasure towards the experience and this being a huge waste of money. Please tell me there's something I'm doing wrong or this is defective, because there is no way this can be the final product I'm looking at. 
25 REPLIES 25

jhoward4444
Explorer
At the end of "Introduction to VR" is a Replay and Exit option. It's as if I'm being blinded by a flashlight the flares are so bad. 

abufrejoval
Honored Guest
AFAIK this is cause by the Fresnel lenses the CV1 uses to reduce lense thickness vs. the DK2, which uses ordinary (thick) lenses.

It's noticeable in some of those demos and the home screen, as you say, but I haven't really seen it in games. I guess it tends to happen when you have really sharp edges of dark and bright light.

Best get used to it: It's only going to go away when you get your brain to listen.

helifrek
Explorer
Is it the same way on the vive? Just curious. Rift is pre-ordered, I am way back in line and have a July shipping date. All the talk about the God rays and other issues are starting to worry me.
i5-6600k, 980 ti, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, 16Gb RAM. Whoohoooo!!!!! finally all built and running! CV1 pre-ordered (July)

agenttoff
Heroic Explorer
@helifrek It's not as bad on the Vive, but with the Vive you might see the facets of the fresnel lenses occasionally.  It's a matter of trade-offs, but personally the godrays annoy me much more.

Fredd32
Adventurer
I tried at Best Buy, not saying reports are erroneous but if you are using rift to enjoy it rather than technically critique it, you will be blown away with it. Perhaps everyone has a truly different perspective on what it's like to use Rift but I didn't feel bothered to stop enjoying and try to pick apart the experience. 

Roaster
Rising Star
I just received the Rift and I think the glare issue is way overblown, at least on this unit. I would describe it as barely noticeable to non existent. I have to look for it to see it, and it's no worse than wearing glasses.  There's nothing in the center area where you concentrate your gaze, and rays only show up in a kind of band around the edges, which I can only see when I move my head around.  When stationary, it disappears.  Eve is downloading so I'll see how that looks soon. 
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

Blyss4226
Rising Star
By the wildly varying descriptions of what the godrays look like it really makes me suspicious. I've gotten used to them in mine but they are definitely a lot more than barely noticeable. Try "giant spotlight beams emanating from everything that's above about 50% brightness." That's what I see. They are all over too, not just the edges. I have basically gotten immune to them at this point though.
Gaming: Intel i7 3770k @ 4.2Ghz | R9 290 | 16GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 1 TB HDD Server: AMD FX 6300 @ 4.4Ghz | GT 610 | 8GB RAM | 240GB SSD | 320GB HDD

Fredd32
Adventurer
Please let me know your impressions using Rift with Elite, this is the game I am most looking forward to.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
@Fredd32 I actually prefer the Rift over the Vive in Elite because of the mitigated screendoor and how comfortable it is.  Everything looks a bit more crisp.  I have heard there was a resolution issue with the Vive though, so I will have to try it again.  Although I am pretty sure I would still use the Rift in this game.  The flares are a little more pronounced although I saw them on the Vive as well.  They don't really take away from the experience for me.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
Get Help
Did this answer your question? If it didn’t, use our search to find other topics or create your own and other members of the community will help out.

Check out some popular posts here:
Getting Help from the Meta Quest Community
Tips and Tricks: Charging your Meta Quest Headset
Tips and Tricks: Help with Pairing your Meta Quest
Trouble With Facebook/Instagram Accounts?