New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Gauge: What VR games are popular with HTC Vive's early adopters

notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
Wintermute

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Really interesting read, thanks for sharing!
    Surprised how well surgeon sim is doing.

Although in terms of 'Team VR' I really hope there are more than this amount of headsets sold:

...our best guess is that about 25,000 to 30,000 HTC Vive units have been sent to consumers

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,157
    Wintermute
    edited May 2016
    That number sounds reasonable to me. Despite all the 'I'm cancelling my Rift!' hype, I think it's pretty clear that the Rift will have outsold the Vive, and most sales of either headset will happen when they're available in stores for people to try, not in preorders.

Also, despite all the 'I ordered my Vive last week and got it today' hype, there still seem to be plenty of people who ordered in March and still don't have theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if only half the existing Vive orders have shipped.
  • xi11ixxi11ix Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    edmg said:
    That number sounds reasonable to me. Despite all the 'I'm cancelling my Rift!' hype, I think it's pretty clear that the Rift will have outsold the Vive, and most sales of either headset will happen when they're available in stores for people to try, not in preorders.

Also, despite all the 'I ordered my Vive last week and got it today' hype, there still seem to be plenty of people who ordered in March and still don't have theirs. I wouldn't be surprised if only half the existing Vive orders have shipped.
    I agree, retail will decide which device is more popular.

The Vive order page says they're still back ordered into June, so if you order today you'll have about a month wait.
  • notsramnotsram Posts: 1,238
    Wintermute
    Rift will struggle against Vive in retail, IMO. VR in itself is pretty damn cool, but when you have hand controllers too. Sorry, but playing games with an xbone controller just feels boring. Rift needs Touch ASAP if it wants to compete on a level playing field.
  • CharlieHobbesCharlieHobbes Posts: 555
    Neo
    notsram said:
    Rift will struggle against Vive in retail, IMO. VR in itself is pretty damn cool, but when you have hand controllers too. Sorry, but playing games with an xbone controller just feels boring. Rift needs Touch ASAP if it wants to compete on a level playing field.
    You may be right, and Touch needs to get here fast, but I just want to point out that in Retail, the sleek polished product with easy-use software sometimes outsells the competitor, even if that competitor is technically superior in some regards and has more functionality and an open environment. 

Iphone anyone?

• HanoverHanover Posts: 549
    Neo
    notsram said:
    Not when the PSVR is released...
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 15,008 Valuable Player
    It's common knowledge that people run to Best Buy in order to figure out which device they can buy that will cause them to remove all home furnishings in a 15x15 area. It is known.

:*
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Wintermute

Iphone anyone?

That's pretty much how I see it. The Rift is aiming to be the 'it just works' iPhone of the VR world, while HTC are aiming for the Android-style enthusiast market of people who are willing to live with some rough edges and complexity to play games. It's not clear to me which one will win in the retail market, for that reason.
    We should make forum wagers. Pick a time frame (e.g., first quarter 2017) to see who is revealed as ahead in the market. I vote for Rift because I honestly view the Vive as the Nintendo Wii of the VR world. I believe that sophistication and practicality of installation (e.g., how many people live in small apartments) will win out over gadget enthusiasm.
    Wintermute
    You guys have a point about Rift being far easier to set up. But in a store environment, where everythng is already set up, I wonder how many customers will actually take that into consideration?

As I've said before, I was worried right up until I received my Vive that I'd made the wrong choice cancelling my Rift, but as soon as I fired up the Wands, I knew I hadn't. They really are that impressive.
    Wintermute
    Zenbane said:
    We should make forum wagers. Pick a time frame (e.g., first quarter 2017) to see who is revealed as ahead in the market. I vote for Rift because I honestly view the Vive as the Nintendo Wii of the VR world. I believe that sophistication and practicality of installation (e.g., how many people live in small apartments) will win out over gadget enthusiasm.
    I have a feeling it may be PSVR. If it's any good at all, it will sell like hot cakes over the Christmas period.
    Wintermute
    notsram said:
    I have a feeling it may be PSVR. If it's any good at all, it will sell like hot cakes over the Christmas period.
    Ditto. Of the three, I think it's pretty clear that PSVR will sell the most... if the games are worth playing. The big question for me is whether the Playstation hardware is up to the job.
    Wintermute
    edmg said:
    notsram said:
    Ditto. Of the three, I think it's pretty clear that PSVR will sell the most... if the games are worth playing. The big question for me is whether the Playstation hardware is up to the job.
    Yeah, if powerful PCs struggle, I'm not sure how impressive the PSVR titles will look. And graphics are a big selling point of console games. I'm sure the games will be good though. I'm willing to bet there will be at least one must-have title at launch.
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    All the rumors point to Sony creating a new version of the PS4 with updated hardware to support 4k gaming. This would of course benefit PSVR performance. There will also be over 100 titles at launch.
    Wintermute
    Good point. I'd forgotten Sony are probably bringing out a new PS4. I think this is a seriously bad move on their part though. People buy a console with the expectation that it will last for a long time. It's only just over two years since the PS4 was released (and I paid almost £500 for mine at launch). If there are going to be new versions of a console every couple of years, you might as well buy a PC. This will really piss off a lot of their fanbase.
    Wintermute
    Good point. I'd forgotten Sony are probably bringing out a new PS4. I think this is a seriously bad move on their part though. People buy a console with the expectation that it will last for a long time. It's only just over two years since the PS4 was released (and I paid almost £500 for mine at launch). If there are going to be new versions of a console every couple of years, you might as well buy a PC. This will really piss off a lot of their fanbase.
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    notsram said:
    Yeah, if powerful PCs struggle, I'm not sure how impressive the PSVR titles will look. And graphics are a big selling point of console games. I'm sure the games will be good though. I'm willing to bet there will be at least one must-have title at launch.
    the PSVR is only pushing 1080p @ 60fps so should be able to do PS3 quality games in VR no problem. 

Hopefully a WipEout VR game will be a reality soon!
  • JED44JED44 Posts: 448 Poster of the Week
    edited May 2016
    In my honest opinion It seems you guys are right about PSVR pulling the lead in terms of sales once it is released. Though it will be pretty interesting to see who the runner up will be.

The Rift does have an easier setup and its own advantages in terms of comfort, optics, etc,  but does target a pretty specific demographic in terms of capabilities. Id be willing to bet that the amount of people who don't have space for full roomscale outnumbers those who do, not considering outliers on either side. The rift also seems to have more appeal among tech circles and avid computer gamers , many of which would have already preordered it,  then the masses, which may mean it won't see as many walk in retail orders as one might suspect ( at least before touch launches ) 

Though while the vive is a bit more complicated to set up, in terms of experience it seems to have more appeal than the rift with laymen (so to speak) who don't really care about sweet spots or marginal comfort improvement, and who are more inclined to be impressed by and want the full VR package, 

Of course the Rift does have ready to play bundles, which makes it more accessible, and when touch releases en masse and is bundled with the rift (looking at next year) there will probably be a jump in sales at that time, which the Vive will not have. 

Looking at what little we know of order quantities and shipment pace, as well as the number of players on certain games. I would be willing to bet that pre order numbers are roughly comparable at this stage in the game, so the real fight will be when both headsets are able to hit brick and mortar stores in appreciable numbers to actually begin selling to new customers. 

(EDIT - I do have to say though that I don't think the rift 360 Roomscale setup will be much more convenient then the Vives, considering you have to run the cords back to the pc, instead of just to an outlet, and the rifts tether cable is shorter, unless they include an extension, which would be a good idea. 180 should still retain its ease advantage though.)  
  • Percy1983Percy1983 Posts: 1,410
    Wintermute
    I don't think retail will make a huge difference.

Rift will be easier for shops to setup, ie, pc, sensor, headset, controller can all be located together where mounting the light houses may be an issue.

Eithe rway unlike the wii days where people could be amazed and may £180 and get it home, I think the £1500 price tag may put the casual customer off and the ones with the PCs up to it will probably already have a good idea whats going on.

I think PSVR will be the big push, there is many PS4's in houses for £350 for that wow experience, not bad.
    Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler
    Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+
    256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache
    Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w
    Mother of Mercy, most can agree that the PSVR will end up leading the charge. I wouldn't deny that either for reasons mentioned, mostly around practicality (lots of homes have PlayStations).

It's the PS'y that binds the VR world.
  • ThreeDeeVisionThreeDeeVision Posts: 2,087
    Wintermute
    All clean.  Damn gremlins.
    i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified
  • blue-steelblue-steel Posts: 115
    Art3mis
    Percy1983 said:
    I don't think retail will make a huge difference.

Rift will be easier for shops to setup, ie, pc, sensor, headset, controller can all be located together where mounting the light houses may be an issue.

Eithe rway unlike the wii days where people could be amazed and may £180 and get it home, I think the £1500 price tag may put the casual customer off and the ones with the PCs up to it will probably already have a good idea whats going on.

I think PSVR will be the big push, there is many PS4's in houses for £350 for that wow experience, not bad.
    Eh when Kinect came out best buy had small areas of like 10 feet  with a tv in front and then a small wall of like 2 feet off the ground.

They can do the same for the vive. I was in a best buy the other day getting the 4k deadpool and the stores are so empty now they can just move a bin of $4 movies out of the way lol

Also the vive isn't that hard to set up and you only have to do it once. The hardest thing is bending down and putting the head set on the floor a few times but once you set it up you may never have to do so again