New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

What happened to share.oculus.com ?!?!?!?!?

FozZeWFozZeW Posts: 4
NerveGear
When I try to go to share.oculus.com it redirects me to https://www2.oculus.com/experiences/rift/ , I don't give a shit about those damn experiences! I want to look at share.oculus...

Best Answers

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Posts: 1,101
    3Jane
    edited May 2016 Accepted Answer
    Vern_S said:
    FozZeW said:
    That is such a dick move from Oculus... I have DK2 and I just want to mess around with old 0.6 oculus. I can't go to 1.3 cause apparently they don't support laptops. Altough I was able to play on old share just fine.

So this is pretty much just a middle finger from Oculus. Thank Oculus, great moves!
    I only have the DK2 and use a laptop (ASUS Gaming Laptop) with Oculus store and have yet to find an app that doesn't work. In fact, I have been playing "The Climb" and having a blast. Please get your facts straight before you post blatant BS. 
    You should get the facts straight yourself. Oculus (the company) does not support laptops, period. That is the official stance of the company, because 99% of all laptops will not function using any version of their runtime newer than 0.6. If your laptop works, congrats! You are the 1%! 

The problem isn't performance-related, it's that most laptops cannot even detect the headset when using the new Direct Mode that Oculus uses now. For the most part, only laptops using true nVidia 980 GPUs will work, not ones using mobile chipsets like 980m.

Answers

• water_water_ Posts: 226
    Nexus 6
    As somewhat of a newcomer, may I ask what share was?
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis
    it was a place where developpers post their applications so you can try
  • FozZeWFozZeW Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    That is such a dick move from Oculus... I have DK2 and I just want to mess around with old 0.6 oculus. I can't go to 1.3 cause apparently they don't support laptops. Altough I was able to play on old share just fine.

So this is pretty much just a middle finger from Oculus. Thank Oculus, great moves!
  • FozZeWFozZeW Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    pjenness said:
    nosys70 said:
    it was a place where developpers post their applications so you can try
    Share was where it was at pre CV1. 
    And I actually think there is a huge need for it now still. 
    The random developer ideas were fun to explore, but I can understand them not being suitable for the Public frontend for Right (ie oculus home) as they were often rough and buggy

The closest is probably  http://www.wearvr.com and another user here started http://www.vrench.com/

Thank you so much.

But yeah I still think oculus should keep their old share site. I understand why they wouldn't want new users to not end up there, but it was pretty hidden on their site on the first place. Old share with a little warning would be great.
  • pjennesspjenness Posts: 665
    Neo
    One thing @cybereality mentioned was that Oculus staff actively maintained share during the DKx phases whilst CV1 was not released.
    Now staff are busy maintaining/supporting the consumer facing hardware/software and not able to maintain share.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/368796/#Comment_368796

Drift VFX Visual, Virtual , Vertical

Want 970GTX on Macbook for good FPS?
    https://forums.oculus.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=17349
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm really sorry, but we need to focus on the Oculus Store, which provides support for the consumer Rift. It doesn't make sense to spend effort on end-users using development kits and old runtimes, as these old software packages are no longer supported. In any case, the Oculus Store has sections for both paid and free content, and developers are encouraged to update their games or demos and submit to the Oculus Store. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • jrs69jrs69 Posts: 154
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    We are still waiting for our CV1s....Not everyone can hop on the 1.3 bandwagon...Should of sent notice the share will be closed in say 6 months - update and move to the store. Everyone will have their CV1s by then...
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,247 Power Poster
    I'm really sorry, but we need to focus on the Oculus Store, which provides support for the consumer Rift. It doesn't make sense to spend effort on end-users using development kits and old runtimes, as these old software packages are no longer supported. In any case, the Oculus Store has sections for both paid and free content, and developers are encouraged to update their games or demos and submit to the Oculus Store. Thanks.
    It might have been a good idea to leave a splash page at Share.Oculus.com with this type of verbiage, instead of a URL Redirect that leaves the user wondering if they typed the URL wrong or something lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    FozZeW said:

They're dicks because they didn't want to work with the restrictions of an old and obsolete SDK? They truly are the worst.
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?
  • stevelee123stevelee123 Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    There needs to be a free demo section on the Oculus Store.
    That is what Oculus Share was great for.

The `free` content on the oculus store is .. well it's not worth looking for it.
    I assume that the Oculus Store will only list products (even Demo's) that have met a certain criteria. Similar to the way the Apple Store works in allowing app's to be publicly download.
    So, developers of content on Share are encouraged to update their games and demo and submit to the Oculus Store. While the criteria for acceptance onto the platform is higher than Share, I think there were many experiences on Share that would meet the quality bar. Keep in mind, there are, in fact, free apps and games on the Store, and there is even a Concepts section, that can house some of the more experimental things you've seen on Share. Hope that makes sense.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • JoseJose Posts: 888
    Trinity
    @stevelee123 Before Oculus Share was even a thing, people were posting free demos right here on this forum. It happened in Works In Progress subforum, which I think has been merged into the Showcase section. There technically isn't anything stopping people from sharing directly here on the forum. But the culture is a bit different now than it was then. And I personally think that a lot of the VR creators have been scared off.
  • FogwalkerFogwalker Posts: 94
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    So, developers of content on Share are encouraged to update their games and demo and submit to the Oculus Store. While the criteria for acceptance onto the platform is higher than Share, I think there were many experiences on Share that would meet the quality bar. Keep in mind, there are, in fact, free apps and games on the Store, and there is even a Concepts section, that can house some of the more experimental things you've seen on Share. Hope that makes sense.
    To be perfectly honest it does not make sense. Essentially you are taking away the platform that helped make Oculus successful, and allowed developers to release demos and test things out quickly with consumers. It created a community for developers and users to work together to quickly iterate to make better products for users. It allowed tinkerers and people getting into development to test and show off experiences with people interested in VR. It allowed your evangelical user base to share their hard work and promote your product, marketing it and helping you sell your idea, by working for Oculus for no money a lot of the time. 

By taking away the platform you are essentially killing backwards compatibility, to development builds of demos, and hopefully everyone saved all their demos for their DK1 because they are probably never going to see them again, and the developers are probably not going to re upload old builds of their work. 

By publishing to Oculus share your free apps and experiences are held at a higher level so basically, hobbiests and quick build experience creators are not welcome. As well when you submit an app, if there is not immediate interest you can expect months and months of no response and generally being ignored. I know quite a few people who updated their share experiences and are waiting for anyone to just give them the time of day. Plus you ask for a lot more work from people who before and still are providing a free service to Oculus. 

So you are essentially killing off the community, that helped make the early builds successful, killing backwards compatibility, so people with older devices will not be able to get the demos that were available. To be honest Oculus is treating the people who worked hard, to give you your job, and helped make you very successful.. poorly. 

We're working on a solution, but there are still many things to figure out.

So I guess this is not the case anymore about helping us by the sounds of your above response?
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,523 Valuable Player

The `free` content on the oculus store is .. well it's not worth looking for it.
    Give it time. Oculus share was pretty sparse back in the day.
  • wickfutwickfut Posts: 202
    Art3mis
    andyring said:

Give it time. Oculus share was pretty sparse back in the day.

But they already had an entire library. Years worth of demos, games and experiences. Gone because they don't want backwards compatibility.

Unfortunately none of those demos worked on the consumer headset. That's the whole issue. And it confused new customers who would download old demos and complain that they didn't work. You can argue that backwards compatibility in the SDK could have been a higher priority, but that's not the way that it happened.

The SDK was very much in development itself, and constantly in flux, and it would not have been possible to integrate the advanced features that make the consumer software great if we were tied to support every demo that was ever made for development hardware.

I think, over time, this will become a non-issue as existing developers update their games and demos to support the new SDK and submit to the Oculus Store. In addition, there are literally dozens of new, high quality content coming to the Store in the coming months. More than enough content to keep everyone busy. Thanks.
  • stevelee123stevelee123 Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    there are literally dozens of new, high quality content coming to the Store in the coming months. More than enough content to keep everyone busy. Thanks.
    I hope one of those is a decent video player. :p , I'm still oh so gutted about madVR and whirligig needs head tracking.

To respond to those moaning about defunct demos....backwards compatibility, rarely, applies to beta cycles.
    That's the point of beta. you can't expect backwards compatibility with beta software.
    Blame the developers, not Oculus.

I only hope that my `beta hardware` (dk2) is compatible with developments for years to come.
    It's a Wonderful thing, having a VR headset that works, when you haven't the rig to run the consumer release.

So, bottom line.. it's early days, Oculus Share was full of skeletons
    Oculus Home has more demos and free stuff to come.
    Thanks for clearing that up C

DK2 will be supported (at least) through the end of this year.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Unfortunately none of those demos worked on the consumer headset. That's the whole issue. And it confused new customers who would download old demos and complain that they didn't work. You can argue that backwards compatibility in the SDK could have been a higher priority, but that's not the way that it happened.

The SDK was very much in development itself, and constantly in flux, and it would not have been possible to integrate the advanced features that make the consumer software great if we were tied to support every demo that was ever made for development hardware.

I think, over time, this will become a non-issue as existing developers update their games and demos to support the new SDK and submit to the Oculus Store. In addition, there are literally dozens of new, high quality content coming to the Store in the coming months. More than enough content to keep everyone busy. Thanks.
    On each demo it listed compatibility as to what headset it would work on. I find it really hard to believe that the people behind Share would not have been competent enough to be able to divide demos as per what they support. 

The developers did not have a chance to be updated in the first place on share because Oculus closed down the ability to update work on the site, as well as the fact that these developers are still waiting for delayed pre order headsets. 

I am not talking about using your CV1 headset with dk1 demos, I am talking about still having dk1 demos available to DK1 owners as a legacy download. Suddenly they are all gone, have they been deleted from the servers or can we at least get a historical download so years from now people with dk1 can show off where VR started from? This way your legacy hardware beginning is not relegated immediately to the trash can....

Fogwalker said:
    Essentially you are taking away the platform that helped make Oculus successful
    This is one of those "entitlement" things that seem to be a trend around here. There are those who feel entitled to make repeated posts about being so happy to cancel their Rift in favor of a Vive, and they are entitled to broadcasting those feelings ad nauseam because they clicked through a Pre-Order web form. Now we have someone saying that Oculus was made successful by a single platform (old SDK demos), and are entitled to having Oculus dedicate resources for their specific needs.

Hosting a website is amazingly easy these days, and often free. Why not just start an Oculus Share community and then invite everyone to join? Instead of demanding resources based on a sense of entitlement?

I'm not trying to be offensive (this time - lol); I just don't get why people can't put a bit of extra work in to an ideal. Wouldn't you rather take advantage of the situation by leading the Oculus Share effort?

For example, I just checked GoDaddy and the following domain name is available right now:
    OculusExchange.com

For $11.99! Go forth and conquer!

Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    Zenbane said:
    Fogwalker said:
    Essentially you are taking away the platform that helped make Oculus successful
    This is one of those "entitlement" things that seem to be a trend around here. There are those who feel entitled to make repeated posts about being so happy to cancel their Rift in favor of a Vive, and they are entitled to broadcasting those feelings ad nauseam because they clicked through a Pre-Order web form. Now we have someone saying that Oculus was made successful by a single platform (old SDK demos), and are entitled to having Oculus dedicate resources for their specific needs.

Hosting a website is amazingly easy these days, and often free. Why not just start an Oculus Share community and then invite everyone to join? Instead of demanding resources based on a sense of entitlement?

I'm not trying to be offensive (this time - lol); I just don't get why people can't put a bit of extra work in to an ideal. Wouldn't you rather take advantage of the situation by leading the Oculus Share effort?

For example, I just checked GoDaddy and the following domain name is available right now:
    OculusExchange.com

For $11.99! Go forth and conquer!

We already have, and have several demos up on other sites such as WearVR and VRwrench that are free and available to anyone. So I apologize for the massive amounts of entitlement I and others are feeling for having our work taken off the platform we helped foster. 
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016

Let's be honest here, both the DK1 and DK2 screens work (without the distortion compensation) without drivers, They just pop up on windows as an extra monitor. It's really only the tracking which needed to be put in place to run the old demos on the CV1.

So given that a guy can write a .dll in few weeks which gives a competing device, one which uses a completely back to front tracking system , the ability to play a large chunk of Rift games flawlessly, people are expected to believe that Oculus can't get their older DK1 and DK2 stuff working on their new headset?

It's obvious the real reasons why: A library of old but quality free content isn't going to make them money.
    edited May 2016
    I really doubt that is the reason @wickfut. I know it's sounds like a clever soundbite, but as stated repeatedly, even the Apple Store maintains only one location to download Apps for their platform. There is no workaround for Apple Product demo's that they support. There are legitimate reasons, such as quality control (internal standards), quality assurance (external standards), and consumer confidence.

Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    @zenbane So Oculus couldn't keep the old Share site seperate and throw it on FTP with a clear message that the old software may have issues or not work correctly, while giving people who do want to test the older DK1 and DK2 demos a chance to run them on the new CV1.

edited May 2016
    To keep with the Apple comparison, can you show me where Apple does that?

I'm also curious to know what you do for a living - not as an insult, but to know what type of Industry you are accustomed to where business decisions are supposed to be made on an emotional whim. As opposed to those things like Roadmaps, or heaven forbid something that resembles Enterprise Resource Planning.
    Art3mis
    edited May 2016
    I don't give a monkeys about what Apple does, and if Apple is the model that Oculus is going for then I guess I'll be done with Oculus too.

I'm local gov. and that's about all you're getting from me,  not that it has anything to do with the topic at hand and neither does it invalidate anything I've posted.

I'm glad to see you've been invited into Oculus inner sanctum though, they obviously need someone like you to champion them on internet forums from people like me who question their business practices.
    This place has a decent variety of folks proclaiming why they are "done with Oculus completely" - I'm sure your proclamation is a welcome piece of diversity: you based it on Apple analogies as opposed to Shipping dates. Bravo.

Okay so you're local government. That's useful to know, because it is extremely common for the government to treat business ideas similar to the way this very forum treats the "Poster of the Week" program. I can see why you would think it makes sense for an LLC to just decide to commit resources to a thing cause I mean "how hard can it be."

In the corporate world, someone guards a room if there is an identifiable risk, associated loss, and the cost of guarding the room mitigates the loss while yielding a positive return on investment. In the government, someone guards a room because a higher rank said so; even if it means the room is empty and it's being guarded by a tank.

Things like ERP systems don't really apply to the government sector; so this must all be a great turd burger of a mystery.

For me, this isn't about championing anything at all; it's about engaging the discussion to see if there is any real thought behind the remedies people propose towards the ideas they feel entitled to see realized.