cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Day Critique of CV1

Roaster
Rising Star
I received my Rift today 5/13/16 (order # 284xxx), 2nd day after receiving the order processing email. The window was 5/9 - 5/19 so right on track. There was a bit of magic in the delivery, because I got home from work to find an attempted delivery note on the door, and when I went to the pick up location the truck was just pulling in to drop off the goods. For some reason the UPS guy asks if anyone is there from my street, I grins and says that's me! The box has no indication of Ocularity inside.
   I was a little afraid to actually open it and set it up due to the horror stories you hear around here, but the installation of the software was very easy and it guides you through every step of the process. Tip of the hat to the software guys.
   My machine is relatively high-end, with an Asus X99 pro mb, i7-5820K cpu @ 4ghz, 32 gb DDR4 mem, m.2 SSD, GTX 980Ti, and every cable plugged in was met with an OK.  The remote syncd right away, the xbone controller paired up easily, and I was ready for fitting. 
   There isn't much room inside the Rift for glasses. In other words, the lenses are quite close to the gasket and I'm afraid my specs will rub on the shiney and do damage, so I'm going bare eyed ... until maybe I make some kind of spacer to ensure a separation.  My eyes aren't that bad so I can get away with it, but a brief test showed that the clarity improves with my prescription lenses. 
The view inside is excellent, and the glare- sunbeams issue is way overblown. There are some light effects but mostly in a band around the outer edges of the scene. The center area where you concentrate your gaze is clear and I only noticed any discrete pixels in solid color objects. Not too bad, but it's not 4K.  I find the pixelation easy to ignore. The light rays only appear when I move my head around, and seem to disappear when stationary.  All in all I'd say it's a non issue, and a lot like wearing glasses.  Even though it degrades the image a bit, you just look through it.
Tracking is flawless and crisp.
If you're worried about getting a turd, don't, because it's better than I expected.
I'll be trying Eve Valkyrie and Proton Pulse soon, which will be a better test of the glare feature, but I'm not afraid any longer.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu
21 REPLIES 21

Aldha
Protege
Congrats on getting your Rift! Make sure to check out BlazeRush, it's so much fun!

GenetixStudio
Superstar
Congrats! Glad it came with no issues.

RobHermans
Superstar
@Roaster : Thanks for posting your thoughts, easy to read and to the point. Looking forward to further thoughts when you have some more games to try. B)

Roaster
Rising Star
I'm glad to say the lack of a glasses-friendly face gasket is my biggest problem so far. Perhaps they thought it reduced FOV too much.
Proton Pulse is excellent without a hint of light-scattering. On some of the intro screens there are significant sun beams radiating out from the bright stuff, so it sounds like the variation seen/imagined between units is probably due to interpretation.
i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

keesi
Expert Protege
"My machine is relatively high-end" 😄 

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Welcome to VR Roaster.  It's not perfect, but it sounds like your experience is similar to mine - it's good enough that you can look past the flaws and just enjoy being in another world.

Looking forward to further reviews to add to your first!
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's good to hear some good news on here.  I'm a number 36er with a July delivery date and I'm glad to see that people are starting to get their Rifts.  I'm getting excited again.   🙂

Roaster
Rising Star

... relatively ...  😘
There are lots of posts about machines not meeting specs, and systems having trouble, so I just wanted to let others know what I'm using.  Like compared to the Oculus minimum.  I know it's not top of the line, but better than average, I think.  I can't afford the best, but I'll need to upgrade my C drive capacity for sure, from 256 to 1tb

keesi
Expert Protege

Roaster said:

... relatively ...  😘
There are lots of posts about machines not meeting specs, and systems having trouble, so I just wanted to let others know what I'm using.  Like compared to the Oculus minimum.  I know it's not top of the line, but better than average, I think.  I can't afford the best, but I'll need to upgrade my C drive capacity for sure, from 256 to 1tb

Haha It's a full fledged high-end system man. 😛 I was being sarcastic about the fact that you are understating your pc build. :smiley:  Mine is not nearly that great...