cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

positional tracking loss when turning around

MikeF
Trustee
So i've got my cv1 set up with the tracking sensor in front of me, mounted to the wall about 2 feet above my head and while i'm completely within the bounds, i still lose tracking when turning my head. Once the back of my head is fully facing the sensor then it picks up again, but the transition from rotating front to back always causes a break in tracking. Is this normal?

i've tried different positions, angles and height adjustments but all of them yield the same results

This is really dissapointing coming from the dk2 and expecting full 360 tracking so any help would be great
12 REPLIES 12

Dreamwriter
Rising Star
It sounds to me like the sensor is too close to you, and needs to be further back (or you further from it of course)

MikeF
Trustee
If it was too close then i'd expect equal behavior for the front. Either way though i've tried at a variety of distances up to 8 ft away and its still the same. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Jose
Heroic Explorer
If I were to make a guess why the tracking loss happens, it's probably because the front and back of the headset are not rigidly attached to each other. The distance between the LED set in the front and the set the back can change depending on how loose the straps are, what shape the wearer's head is.

The Oculus software cannot be aware of how positions of the front and back change in relation to each other.

Also, I think the software prioritizes the positional tracking of the front side, and only when it loses track of it (by facing away from the sensor), the software uses the rear LEDs as a fallback.

dead4sure
Adventurer
You're not alone, I have the same issue! At the point where the HMD is turned 90 degrees either way so that the LEDs on the front and back are bath facing side on.I guess it could have done with a few on side the straps just to cover that particular angle.

MikeF
Trustee
Thanks for the input Jose & dead4sure

If the LED pattern on the back is considered the "backup" pattern then i'm worried that a 2nd rear facing camera would be the only solution.

I've noticed diminished tracking even when fully facing back now, (slight hitches and some warble) so this must be the case...

water_
Adventurer
I was losing head tracking sometimes when I turned around and could not figure out why. Then I realized I was sitting really low in my chair and the headrest was covering the back of the Rift. 😄 Probably not the problem in your case though.

dead4sure
Adventurer

MikeF said:

Thanks for the input Jose & dead4sure

If the LED pattern on the back is considered the "backup" pattern then i'm worried that a 2nd rear facing camera would be the only solution.

I've noticed diminished tracking even when fully facing back now, (slight hitches and some warble) so this must be the case...

Yeah I think that once we have motion controllers and therefore have 2 tracking sensors we will be pretty well covered. I'm very much looking forward to having the Touch controllers and proper room scale. :smiley: 

MikeF
Trustee
hehehe yeah i had that happening when i had a vive on loan for a bit so i've since removed the head rest from my chair  😄

Well, i guess this is pretty standard then. Really was expecting more after coming from the devkits.

cybereality
Grand Champion
The tracking should work full 360 degrees. If it's not, then you probably have the sensor mounted incorrectly. The sensor should be generally at eye level, or maybe up to 6 inches above or below. I have mine about 6 inches above my head (while seated), angled slightly downward, and positioned around 3 feet away from my normal playing distance. For the most part, this results in working 360 tracking. Only very rarely does tracking cut out (which can happen sometimes, but not often). Hope that helps.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV