New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected on Win10 x64

AstyrreanAstyrrean Posts: 6
edited June 2016 in Support
[EDIT: I TRIED AN HDMI->DISPLAYPORT ADAPTOR AND NOW EVERYTHING WORKS FINE. THIS IS THE ONE I GOT: http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B00K0UDYLM. NOTE "HDMI NOT DETECTED" PROBLEM PERSISTS IF JUST USING HDMI]

Howdy all

I am a happy owner of a new CV1

I, too, have come across the error (Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected).

The funny thing is that reinstalling Nvidia drivers (365.19) fixes the issue for me - until I put the PC to sleep again or reboot. After that, again no HDMI detected. If I reinstall drivers, the HMD is again detected over HDMI and everything works wonders.

What gives?

This is with a Skylake-based EVGA 980 SC (SLI, but with SLI disabled) system running Windows 10.

Best,

Astyrrean

DXDiag attached / PCPartPicker view here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FNWZYJ

PS
My main display is connected via DisplayPort and nothing is connected to the motherboard's HDMI input. Both the Rift and the main display are connected to the primary GPU (as SLI is disabled, the secondary GPU is effectively offline).

Comments

• KRX1KRX1 Posts: 3
    The same thing keeps happening to me. Can you guys please reply to this thread?
  • vespabylucavespabyluca Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Astyrrean said:
    Howdy all

I am a happy owner of a new CV1

I, too, have come across the error (Rift HDMI is Not Being Detected).

The funny thing is that reinstalling Nvidia drivers (365.19) fixes the issue for me - until I put the PC to sleep again or reboot. After that, again no HDMI detected. If I reinstall drivers, the HMD is again detected over HDMI and everything works wonders.

What gives?

This is with a Skylake-based EVGA 980 SC (SLI, but with SLI disabled) system running Windows 10.

Best,

Astyrrean

DXDiag attached / PCPartPicker view here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FNWZYJ

PS
    My main display is connected via DisplayPort and nothing is connected to the motherboard's HDMI input. Both the Rift and the main display are connected to the primary GPU (as SLI is disabled, the secondary GPU is effectively offline).

yes same thing to me. i'm running with 980 Ti
  • gmacioccigmaciocci Posts: 59
    Hiro Protagonist
    Ditto.
  • AstyrreanAstyrrean Posts: 6
    So at least 4 people with the same issue ... Can you folks post your dxdiag? Maybe there's a common pattern
  • oOunknownuserOooOunknownuserOo Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    Or an actual issue with the Oculus Rift?     

Edit - sounds like a cable issue though.    My unit was doing this also, could be cable related.

One thing you may try is plugging the USB into a different slot.  I found that even with the suggested USB card from Oculus I was unable to run both the Headset and the Sensor from the same card.   Once that was resolved it stayed on.

make sure you also disable all power saving modes with your usb devices.
  • Overwatch2014Overwatch2014 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I  am seeing the same thing with an AMD radeon set up, 2 Fury 9X cards. My monitor is now in the second DP port on my primary card, and my rift is plugged into the only HDMI port on my primary card. Same error as OP. 
    Interesting thought about USB power. As odd as it may be, one salient aspect of my system is that I indeed have a pretty large number of USB devices connected (Mouse, KB, 3x Hotas w/rudder pedals, webcam, USB DAC, CV1 - so 8 total).

I'll try and see if that may be the issue. Really odd that it shows up as "HDMI not detected" but then new technology always does weird stuff...
  • neorifterneorifter Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    I am another victim of this BS defect. I had a solid two hours of fun then after a reboot, poof black screen of death. HDMI will not be detected, Display port adapter allows the rift to be detected but still no picture. DVI adapter is not detected. This is so infurating after waiting months after the botched launch now I have to put up with at best a defective cable or worse a defective hmd. 

I tried just plugging the hmd usb to the fresco board for power saving but no dice.

This will be the first and last hmd I buy from occulus. Embarrasing considering how much money and so-called talent has been put into this product. Thank god the professional companies (sony, asus and god knows how many others) will have their VR answers coming in the next few years. I am staying far away from occulus after this fiasco of a launch.
  • HavokzProdigyHavokzProdigy Posts: 95
    Hiro Protagonist
    Same exact issue. 
  • jeverestjeverest Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    Check out this thread as well: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/374135/#Comment_374135

I encounter this issue every time I wake up from sleep in windows 10.  I am able to fix this issue consistently by restarting the oculus service: Oculus VR Runtime Service in the service manager.
    Hiro Protagonist
    jeverest said:
    Check out this thread as well: https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/comment/374135/#Comment_374135

I encounter this issue every time I wake up from sleep in windows 10.  I am able to fix this issue consistently by restarting the oculus service: Oculus VR Runtime Service in the service manager.
    Consider yourself lucky because that solution isn't a cure all, I still have the no hmdi detected error. I have tried every possible driver install, cable reseat, adapter tweak, power reseat, service restart and pci card recheck imaginable. It has to be a defective cable, or piss poor occu
    edited May 2016
    Same with me ... didn't work actually ... and now even reinstalling NVIDIA drivers doesn't work anymore. So frustrating.
    Hiro Protagonist
    Astyrrean said:
    Same with me ... didn't work actually ... and now even reinstalling NVIDIA drivers doesn't work anymore. So frustrating.
    I just started a new thread on this topic. I suggest you do the same and get specific. We need to keep banging this drum until they publically acknowledge there is a problem with their cables. This is so unsat because based on what I have seen in these forums and on reddit this problem has been going on for weeks.
  • oOunknownuserOooOunknownuserOo Posts: 331
    Nexus 6
  • DisclosureDisclosure Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I think in my case, the poor quality cable damaged the HDMI Port on my GTX 970 as now any monitor I plug into the port no longer displays!
    For the time being I've solved this using an HDMI->DP adapter ... I've updated the main thread
  • ricvillaricvilla Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Since this is the first entry that is listed when searching for this issue, I want to add that I was able to fix this problem by reseating the HDMI connector on the headset. This is for the Consumer Ready version of the Rift. Following a suggestion from Oculus support, I used the instructions here: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1114691701909297 . Problem solved!
  • MonkehNZMonkehNZ Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    ricvilla said:
    Since this is the first entry that is listed when searching for this issue, I want to add that I was able to fix this problem by reseating the HDMI connector on the headset. This is for the Consumer Ready version of the Rift. Following a suggestion from Oculus support, I used the instructions here: https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/1114691701909297 . Problem solved!
    Hey there, how exactly did you remove/insert the HDMI cable? My cable terminates at the headset itself once the foam insert is removed. Does yours actually have a plug there?
  • KillCardKillCard Posts: 1,064 Poster of the Week
    MonkehNZ said:
    ricvilla said:
    Hey there, how exactly did you remove/insert the HDMI cable? My cable terminates at the headset itself once the foam insert is removed. Does yours actually have a plug there?
    You have to pull off the face-cushion foam ring thing. It disconnects like a lego piece, dont pull it by the foam though .. pull the plastic part that connects to the top of the visor.
  • ElunedraElunedra Posts: 87
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    I have read on the internal thar some nvidia gtx cards have this issue source: http://www.vrcircle.com/post/some-nvidia-cards-may-have-problems-with-hdmi-and-oculus-rift

I do have to admit its kinda wierd what ocolus does, hdmi is hdmi how hard can be, the same with the usb ports not working of some controllers its usb 3 how hard can it be ;D

• Oculus breakes the HDMI port of Nvidia cars some times. Happened to me. Now cant use second monitor on hdmi port either.
  • MonkehNZMonkehNZ Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    KillCard said:
    MonkehNZ said:
    ricvilla said:
    You have to pull off the face-cushion foam ring thing. It disconnects like a lego piece, dont pull it by the foam though .. pull the plastic part that connects to the top of the visor.
    Yeah, that's what I've already pulled off.. the cable has a cap/end that connects and disappears behind the cloth and lenses.. definitely not going to pull that out with any force unless someone can advise that's how you're meant to do it.
  • RoadToNothingRoadToNothing Posts: 1
    edited July 2016
    A "me too" for this issue - I had upgraded to the latest NVidia drivers over a period of time, whilst I had the headset disconnected for a bit. Reconnected last week and hey, no HDMI detected!
    Drat.

System specs
    ASUS Geforce 970. ASUS SLI Motherboard, 16GB mem, i7 875K
    My main display is a displayport.

Yeah it's an old i7 but runs at 4GHz. Would be nice if your software stopped advertising scaremongering.

The steps I went through to get it back are a follows. I am not sure which step it is that fixed it, but should I ever have to go through it again, I will update.

In full
    - Disconnect the rift from HDMI
    - Check the HDMI pins are okay (phew, yes)
    - Disconnect the monitor from the DisplayPort
    - Connect a monitor onto to DVI
    - Remove Oculus software
    - Change display to Generic Windows drivers
      1) Go to Device Manager
      2) Find your display adapter and bring up the properties
      3) In the drivers tab, click "Update Driver"
      4) Select "Browse my computer for driver software"
      5) Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
      6) Select the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" and click Next
    - Reboot
    - Manually uninstall ALL Nvidia drivers and software
    - Reboot again
    - Install the Nvidia driver of your choice
      Note: I chose 361.91 - it has stable support for my 970 and is before Nvidia started messing around and supplementing the drivers with other processes.
    - Connect the rift
    - Install Oculus software and run rift setup

it detected HDMI properly at this point, and continues to work. I have not attempted to upgrade Nvidia drivers (yet).
    Removal of Oculus software may not be necessary. I was just making sure.

What I think what we need is a capture of the registry changes when updating driver versions so we can see potentially whether it's something Nvidia or Oculus is doing which either is affecting device behaviour or detected capabilities.
    If the detection and default capabilities changed in the newer driver, this would explain why disconnecting the rift and reconnecting it subsequently breaks it.

P.S. I can't use normal "I am about to write a bulleted list" prefix of ":-" as the web code here thinks I'm trying to use smileys on every bit of text. Who wrote this crud ?!?

• JaabaJaaba Posts: 25
    Brain Burst
    Got no HDMI message too after upgrading to latest NVIDIA drivers (MSI 980ti Gaming LE card here). I did a rollback by simply choosing the earlier drivers from the display adapter's properties, the same place as @RoadToNothing told in the post above. After computer reboot the Rift was found and worked normally.

It would be interesting to know what causes this.
  • Tosken1337Tosken1337 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Same for me.
    I am always getting the hdmi not connected message.
    It seems that the rift somehow destroys my hdmi ports.
    Is there any working solution or any update?
  • GrobmGrobm Posts: 56
    Any updates on this? I have a Falcon LTX with GTX980M (overclocked) with 6Gigs of VRAM and it is constantly waking and sleeping when I use it. If I put it to sleep the display will not wake, the sleep indicator does not even turn back on. I have restarted the service as stated above... but it keeps doing this. I have numerous hacks suggested on the forums and by even support individuals at Oculus. Could we get a solid answer, is this a known issue with the GTX980? I have used the same headset on a laptop with the GTX970m with 3gigs vram and it worked fine... just was getting warnings as expected.
  • andrinosandrinos Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    I'm in the same boat. Today I have not been able to get it to work at all. Sometimes it starts working and I'm good for a few hours. I ordered the HMDI to DisplayPort adapter as suggested by @Astyrrean - hopefully that helps. 
  • For all of you who want a quick workaround, do the following:
    - Right click on your desktop and select new document -> new text document; I called it "Restart Oculus Service" but call it whatever you like
    - Now you'll need to change the extension of the file from the default TXT to BAT; unfortunately these are hidden by default in most versions of Windows; what you need to do is open up File Explorer, then under the "View" tab hit the checkbox "Filename extensions". That will show the extensions of files.
    - Now in File Explorer navigate to your desktop, find "Restart Oculus Service.txt" and rename it to "Restart Oculus Service.bat"
    - Right click on "Restart Oculus Service.bat" and hit Edit
    - Copy and paste the following then save the file:

@ECHO OFF
    ECHO !!! Make sure you run this command script as administrator !!!
    ECHO Restarting Oculus Service ...
    NET STOP OVRService
    NET START OVRService
    PAUSE

- From now on, all you need to do to "fix" the HDMI problem is right click on your desktop on the "Restart Oculus Service.bat" file and hit "Run as Administrator" (and confirm); No more rebooting; No more plugging / unplugging

Worked for me, and now I upgrade to a Titan X (Pascal) and I no longer have the issue, so seems like it's something specific to some GTX 980s / 970s.

Good luck!

Astyrrean
  • andrinosandrinos Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Has this been working for everyone?
  • QixotlQixotl Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited October 2016
    Mine suddenly failed to detect the HDMI mid-session and has not detected it since - tried multiple reboots, restarting OVRService, etc. Can't face full reinstall today as I did one yesterday to fix headset orange light (no error messages). Trying DPort adapter next...