cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xbox VR Coming Exclusive to Oculus Rift?

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
There's been a lot of industry mumblings about a new PS4K (Neo) and now an upgraded Xbox One console that is said to be more powerful to handle things like 1080p 60 fps, 4K movie output and VR. Putting two and two together and based on Microsoft's stance of not wanting to create its own VR headset, it seems likely that if these rumours are true then a partnership with Oculus and the Rift goes without saying considering Microsoft already partnered with Oculus with the Xbox One controller, Wireless receiver etc.

Can you imagine Microsoft developing its own Xbox software to run on the Rift VR platform where the CV1 would only require plugging into a slot on the Xbox One V2 and BAM you have all the Xbox functionality in VR (alongside that early demo we saw of them playing Xbox One games on a giant VR screen). Considering SONY are heavily invested in its Playstation VR it makes sense for Microsoft to not go the whole hog and reaffirm its relationship with Oculus by being the official partner outside of PC. Who knows we might even see Windows 10 VR integration seeing as both the Xbox and Windows 10 platforms are now one of the same.

Thoughts on a postcard please.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
4 REPLIES 4

kojack
MVP
MVP
q0vabasawb92.jpg
Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
Hololens is years away from a viable consumer HOME product anyone can see that. VR is here now and this year Microsoft can already jump in. May I remind you of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6GtnAXQSs

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

Lemming1970
Rising Star
Maybe for Xbox one point five.

Xbox one is no where near enough for VR.

Video above is just a virtual cinema, Not sure I'd want to play that!

Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler. Zotac 1080Ti 16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz

Ricktor_Black
Adventurer

Can you imagine Microsoft developing its own Xbox software to run on the Rift VR platform where the CV1 would only require plugging into a slot on the Xbox One V2 and BAM you have all the Xbox functionality in VR (alongside that early demo we saw of them playing Xbox One games on a giant VR screen). Considering SONY are heavily invested in its Playstation VR it makes sense for Microsoft to not go the whole hog and reaffirm its relationship with Oculus by being the official partner outside of PC. Who knows we might even see Windows 10 VR integration seeing as both the Xbox and Windows 10 platforms are now one of the same.

Thoughts on a postcard please.

I'm not sure if MS would do that, miss out on making money on the hardware and lose freedom to make the exact device they want.... also their focus seems to be on augmented reality with Hololens.

BUT.... I think it would be great if they ended up supporting the Rift on the Xbox One.  It would save them a ton of R&D and allow them to get into VR while they work on Hololens (which seems to still be a long way out).