Lens Technology Preference Poll — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lens Technology Preference Poll

DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,958 Volunteer Moderator
edited May 2016 in General

OK after reading so many opinions on the lens technology used in CV1 compared to the DK2, I thought it would be interesting to poll everyone's opinion.

From my own experiences, the non-Fresnel lenses of the DK2 had more chromatic aberrations and a smaller sweet-spot but of course had no light rays. Everyone has their own opinion and so I'm curious to know where the overall preference lies.

I'm also curious to know how the opinions that are voiced in the forum effects those who haven't yet received their Rifts and if there is a gap between owners opinions and prospective owners opinions, because of reading the reviews. So thanks for your votes!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)

Lens Technology Preference Poll 75 votes

I've used DK2 and CV1 and on balance prefer non-Fresnel lenses
24%
bo3bdinorogerziphnorAndersNolbergerRedRizlaMikeFtranceology3darkgaizatAtmos73DeertownProtocol7Jimmy21250Mateo0311AntDX3162mrskeavTheMaster0071catuna21AH_Sid 18 votes
I've used DK2 and CV1 and on balance prefer Fresnel lenses
33%
JosePhaedrustwisteklabsRoasterkernowramonnalex66KiennylogotomiehelgerasZoomiejurrewolffSlimBoyFatvinwijsgcn5360Blue73ZandilLitespeedr00xNamelessPFG 25 votes
I've used DK2 and CV1 and on balance have no overall preference
12%
InscothenDLFReporterRonsonPLMradrblanesDaftnDirectTumorohzbosonmaxpare79 9 votes
I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion prefer non-Fresnel lenses
9%
SyndroidChoronzonNobbs66Uberwolfemambo1888Fulbyrocsen 7 votes
I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion prefer Fresnel lenses
12%
GodrichmanshadowfroggerEliteSPABel-garathElias24601Murklan74TwoHedWlfAndrewJ71Alacer 9 votes
I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion have no overall preference
9%
RobHermansOverload1Warrior-johnkzintziLZoltowskiTadinKlasLothe 7 votes

Comments

• mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion prefer non-Fresnel lenses
    Il hold judgement until I get my CV1 but from comparing my DK2 to my Vive id say at the moment I prefer the DK2 lenses. 
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player

The primary advantage of the custom Fresnel lenses seems to be clarity, focus, and limited chromatic aberration over most of the viewing area. 
    The primary disadvantage seems to be crepuscular 'god' rays. 

Developers can't program around a small area of high focus.  With a small sweet spot like the DK2, attempts to minimize chromatic aberration met with only limited success.

On the other hand, you can absolutely program and design to minimize god rays in an application.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,958 Volunteer Moderator

@mambo1888, please feel free to vote... I'd like to know how people's reviews are affecting people who haven't got their Rift yet... plus you have a Vive so you're better placed than some to have an opinion... well it's up to you :)

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion have no overall preference
    I had a DK2, waiting on CV1.
    Always interesting to read everyone's opinions, but a bit worrying that there seems to be quite a lot of variance in the quality. I would not want to express a preference until I've experienced CV1 for myself.
  • Mr.WildeMr.Wilde Posts: 186
    Art3mis
    I would love to vote, but I don't have my CV1 yet. :'(
    @RobHermans, the no preference vote is a good option for anyone who is waiting for their CV1 and are not being swayed too much by the numerous posts!
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    There are some damning verdicts on so-called god-rays, ruining the enjoyment of a number of CV1 owners. Rightly or wrongly I'm swayed by these opinions and I've decided not to get CV1. I'm not going to sit twiddling my thumbs waiting for devs to programme a way around it... and I can't see how you can eradicate the rays when watching a video. Personally, I've no problem with chromatic aberration/sweetspot of DK2, so I'll stick with what I've got for the time being.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    edited May 2016

@mambo1888, please feel free to vote... I'd like to know how people's reviews are affecting people who haven't got their Rift yet... plus you have a Vive so you're better placed than some to have an opinion... well it's up to you :)

My thoughts at the moment are that Im not able to judge the good things that Fresnel lenses bring such as the clarity and focus as the design and display will have added to that from the DK2. What is clear is the God Rays and rings can be very distracting which weren't there with DK2. @Zoomie makes good points and if Developers can work around the God Ray issues then I think the Fresnel lenses will prove to be a good choice, but without knowing if and when that will be the case for now id say I prefer the old style. 

This is all based on my thoughts at this current time mixed with my non existent knowledge of lenses and there technology.

I will put a vote in though, should I select that I have used CV1 since Ive used the Vive (fresnel lenses) or select I haven't used the CV1, I don't want to mess up your poll/research.
    well so far it's one a piece, this should be interesting
    @mambo1888, that's a good question! i'd like to keep the Vive out of it really, as I don't know how the 2 compare in this regard... so go with the don't have CV1 option I think!
  • vinwijvinwij Posts: 14
    NerveGear
    I just added a second to Fresnel Lenses. I've got both the DK2 and the CV1, and if I put on the DK2 now, I instantly get annoyed by the tiny sweetspot. Whenever I look sideways it blurs, my eyes start focussing and I tire very quickly, while the CV1 offers crystal clear vision all over and allows for so much more comfort.

In games like subnautica, that still has some hud elements on the side of your vision, DK2 is annoying as hell. The godrays actually look good underwater, and I definitly find them anything but disturbing. It looks like a sort of blooming.

Fresnel all the way, excellent tradeoff and I'm very happy with my CV1, what a complete joy to use!
    @vinwij, maybe I should have tried my DK2 again just to make sure I don't have overly rose-tinted memories of it. It's all packed up now though so just trying to decide whether to sell or keep it as a future tech nostalgia piece.
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016

I loaned my DK2 to a friend while he waits for his Vive.  Which is really ironic since I'm a rabid Oculus fanboy.

Edit: Can't wait to see this one quoted out of context!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    For me it's pretty simple:

DK2 Lens problems: always noticeable and always there

CV1 Lens problems: only sometimes there and can be ignored or worked around in colour choices in software

well so far, no clear winner

if nothing else, it makes me think both of the lens types are neither perfect nor a disaster!

• RoasterRoaster Posts: 1,053
    3Jane

well so far, no clear winner

if nothing else, it makes me think both of the lens types are neither perfect nor a disaster!

That's true of the fresnels. They have no problems at all in many applications and are sharper than dk2.  Definitely not a disaster, and imo not a reason to give up the Rift.  Some areas ... it's less than ideal.
    i7-5820K @ 4.2Ghz, water cooled, Asus X99-Pro USB 3.1, 48 Gb DDR4 2400, Samsung 950 pro M.2 SSD, GTX 980 Ti SC, 750w psu

There's maybe a bias in favour of the Fresnels emerging for the people who've tried it... and towards the non-Fresnels for people who haven't.

Could it be that negative opinions in forums affect prospective owners more than positive opinions???

• ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    I HATED SDE and the tiny sweet spot in my DK2, the so called god rays are such a minor issue to me in my CV1.

For me the minor god ray issue far outweighs the plus of reduced SDE and bigger sweet spot. 
    the SDE was probably down to the screen used and lower resolution of the DK2 more than the lens type but yeah, the rays are pretty minor for me too
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    • The sweet-spot is now quite annoying in DK2 after using CV1. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
    • Chromatic aberration was quite noticeable and slightly annoying when all I had was DK1 and DK2. Much more so for DK2 now that I have tried CV1. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
    • I hardly notice any SDE in CV1... It wasn't until several minutes in that I even thought to look for SDE in the CV1, and when I tried to see it, it wasn't anywhere as easy to see as it had been in DK2. CV1 with fresnel wins this.
    • The rays are mostly only noticeable with bright against a lot of black. It is noticeable, and kind of annoying when it is in that situation, but in most other scenarios aren't noticeable. Clean traditional lenses wins this, though a tie in most situations.

On balance, fresnel wins overall. The rays issue isn't strong enough in most situations to outweigh the pros of fresnel.

• ThoemseThoemse Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    New option: I had a DK2, a CV1 and a Vive and I prefer the Vive Fresnel lenses.
  • EliteSPAEliteSPA Posts: 1,560
    Project 2501
    I haven't yet used CV1 but having read everyone's opinion prefer Fresnel lenses
    Fresnel lenses but without godrays should be perfect for CV2
    i7 6700K @ 4.2 GHz | Corsair 16GB DDR4 PC2300 | GTX 1080 Ti | Asus z170-Pro | Corsair RGB Strafe Keyboard | Logitech G27 | Oculus CV1 + Touch + 4 Sensors | Win 10 64 bit | Acer Predator x34 @ 100Hz
    Thoemse said:
    New option: I had a DK2, a CV1 and a Vive and I prefer the Vive Fresnel lenses.

That's probably best for another thread... a Rift vs Vive thread cos there aren't enough of those ;)... Rift Fresnels vs Vive Fresnels !
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,914 Valuable Player
    I am not qualified to say TBH. I had a DK2 and have a CV1, but given i cant use none fresnels on the CV1 imo it is impossible for me to do an apples with apples comparison.

Godrays can be a pita or they can be a none issue..... Everything in hte CV1 aside from the godrays is a step up image quality wise from the DK2, but i do not know how much of this is the lenses and how much the improved screens.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,367 Valuable Player
    I like how everyone tries to compare them because of the god rays - but no one ever wants to talk about ways we could just fix the Fresnel lenses instead. =/
  • bo3bbo3b Posts: 67
    Hiro Protagonist
    I've used DK2 and CV1 and on balance prefer non-Fresnel lenses
    The problem with this comparison is that a lot of other things changed from DK2 as well, including a better and much higher resolution screen.

The DK2 lenses had a small sweet spot because it's a cheap single lens.  I really think that fresnel lens were a poor choice, and chosen at least partly to offset screen-door.  What I'd really like to see is them using compound lenses.
    edited June 2016

I agree @bo3b, that's why we should just be comparing lens technology, I don't think this comes down to lens expense, unless you know for sure the lenses of the DK2 were cheap. As for the screens, yes ignore resolution and screen door... this is really just a comparison or chromatic aberration and sweet spot which at the moment is all we know about the two lens technologies advantages and disadvantages.

• xi11ixxi11ix Posts: 263
    Nexus 6
    I'm not going to vote since I haven't used a DK2 but I have used a Rift (3 different ones including my own) and a Vive and the God rays don't bother me much.

If I had to choose between a larger sweet spot and God rays, which seems to be the trade off, i'd pick the God rays.
    thanks everyone for your votes!
  • TumorohTumoroh Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    I went with "no preference".  I like the new lenses accept when I'm in a high contrast situation.  Such as a bright title on a black background.  Then the rays / haze bother the heck out of me.  As I've yet to play a game where this was going on during play, as opposed to just on a loading screen / title, I can let this "feature" of the Fresnel lens slide.