New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

nVidia Surround and serious stuttering after a few minutes

hejosephhejoseph Posts: 3
NerveGear
I'm running triple monitors from a GTX 970 in nVidia surround and when more than one are plugged in after a few minutes of using my CV1 with perfectly smooth framerates, it will run very slowly (maybe 15fps) for 10-30 seconds before returning to smooth game play. With only a single monitor connected, I have no issue and have perfectly smooth game play the entire time. Any suggestion on a fix so I don't have to physically disconnect my 2nd and 3rd monitors every time I use the Rift?

My specs:

Intel Xeon X5677 @ 3.47 GHz, yes I know it's old, it's a 2011 rig that I originally built and is "unsupported".

Single nVidia GTX 970 with 356.19 drivers.

Triple BENQ XL2410T monitors (old and horrible TN 120hz), with only DVI connections. Two connected through DVI, one through a Dell DP to DVI adaptor.

With only a single monitor connected it's flawless, but otherwise it's unplayable.

I've spent ages testing configurations myself and searching the internet. Thank you for any ideas.

Answers

• Master-GuyMaster-Guy Posts: 14
    Try disabling SLI in your nVidia configuration tool. It helped me, despite the reduced graphics performance.
    Oculus is not capable of handling SLI set-ups.
  • hejosephhejoseph Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Hi Master-Guy,

Thank you very much for your suggestion,

Unfortunately I'm only running ONE 970 so there is no SLI to disable.
  • Master-GuyMaster-Guy Posts: 14
    Then it might just be that your GPU cannot handle the stress of all the screens.
    Can you try "GPU Shark" to see how much your GPU is utilized?
    http://www.ozone3d.net/gpushark/
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    Is there a need to have three screens connected while using the Rift? Sorry, but it seems as if you've already got a solution:
    hejoseph said:
    With only a single monitor connected it's flawless, but otherwise it's unplayable...

• hejosephhejoseph Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Master-Guy:
    Thank you so much for a further suggestion, I have monitored temperatures with Speccy and the GPU doesn't appear to exceed 63C during testing in Lucky's Tale that has the lag present so I doubt is is an overload issue. I'm not home to test at the moment, but will try GPU Shark and let you know. Cheers.

Rob:
    Thank you for your reply. You are correct, I do have a solution and am very glad that I can have a good experience, however as I said in the initial post, it is quite a hassle to shut down, physically unplug the cables (which are awkwardly positioned behind my desk), restart and then go through the entire process in reverse and reconfigure triple monitors, bezel correction and resolution every time I wish to game on the Rift.

Having spent hours attempting a solution and searching the internet, I thought someone may have found a solution to the problem that I'm experiencing.

• RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    hejoseph said:
    it is quite a hassle to shut down, physically unplug the cables (which are awkwardly positioned behind my desk), restart and then go through the entire process in reverse and reconfigure triple monitors, bezel correction and resolution every time I wish to game on the Rift...
    Yes, I see how it would be a hassle, I wouldn't want to go through that either. But to be fair, you only mentioned "physically disconnecting" them, not having to restart, reconfigure, etc.

What about only unplugging the video cables from the gfx card? Or is the drop in performance still there when you do that? If it improves, perhaps you can position your box so that those cables are more easily accessible?

EDIT: or another possiblilty, does your gfx card software have a way of disabling individual displays? Not sure if NVidia control panel does that, I'll have a look when I get home.