VR Camera Mounting and Camera Mod — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

VR Camera Mounting and Camera Mod

MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
Trinity
http://imgur.com/a/Gyspi

If anyone is wondering, you can remove the base from the VR camera to easily mount the camera on the back of your monitor and free up some desk space. Pick up some zip ties and a bag of 1" by 1" mounting brackets. You stick them where ever you want to mount the camera pole, then just run the zip ties through and secure the pole. It works great. I would recommend using a vice or vice-grips to remove the base. Just grab the pole near the base and then twist off the base.

Comments

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,485 Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Cool, I was just wondering about removing the base from the pole. I tried to unscrew it, but it seemed to be permanently fixed. Now I know.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    You can also use standard tripod/camera mounts, which is what I do. This one from Smatree works well, and you can clamp it to a desk, shelf, or (in my case) a monitor arm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Ajustable-Gooseneck-Extension-Cameras/dp/B00MWNYGUS/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MaxxgoldMaxxgold Posts: 351
    Trinity
    nalex66 said:
    Cool, I was just wondering about removing the base from the pole. I tried to unscrew it, but it seemed to be permanently fixed. Now I know.
    Yeah, it is very hard to turn at first. If you don't have a vice then get a second person to help.
    You can also use standard tripod/camera mounts, which is what I do. This one from Smatree works well, and you can clamp it to a desk, shelf, or (in my case) a monitor arm.
    http://www.amazon.com/Smatree®-Ajustable-Gooseneck-Extension-Cameras/dp/B00MWNYGUS/
    That's awesome. I'm also looking forward to touch controllers and wondering if a different setup may be needed to get the proper coverage.
  • ZandilZandil Posts: 975
    3Jane
    Maxxgold said:
    That's awesome. I'm also looking forward to touch controllers and wondering if a different setup may be needed to get the proper coverage.
    Think i will look into mounting mine like that too now.  good point about touch.

@Cyberality are you able to tell us with touch how far apart the two tracking cameras are recommended to be apart ?

Would one mounted to each side of a monitor be enough space ?