New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Oculus App 1.4 Release Notes

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
edited June 2016 in General
A new version of the Oculus app, version 1.4, releases today.
  • Improvements to performance and system stability
  • Improvements to sensor tracking under certain circumstances
  • Bug fixes and security updates, including updates to platform integrity checks
  • AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets
  • With this update, version 16.5.2 of the AMD driver can cause flickering on your computer screen. AMD is working on a fix. If you encounter this issue, use the 16.5.1 driver: https://support.oculus.com/1426791537346223
Please keep in mind that the update is automatic, but may take a few days to propagate to all users. Thanks for your support.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• ZandilZandil Posts: 961
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets.
    Yay
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 765 Poster of the Week
    I notice that the store still lists our rifts in USD so we're still getting screwed by the exchange rates changing, which wouldn't be a problem if they'd actually shipped units to australia instead of screwing us over. 
    Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    This update is for the Oculus desktop app, not the web shop.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited May 2016
    With all due respect(and I mean that sincerely coz you've been as open a s you can be) I really don't care cyber. Getting really shitty now about the lack of fuck from oculus. I'm even taking the # out of my swearing now. 
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. We actually are trying our best, but there are various laws and logistical details that make it difficult to provide parity in price or shipping as we do in some other regions. Really sorry but we are making progress. Thanks.
  • goldenegggoldenegg Posts: 538
    Trinity
    Nothing in here for the display issues which support has been investigating by disabling spud? Highly disappointing, given that was apparently top priority for the dev team.
    edited May 2016
    Sure, you're entitled to your opinion. We actually are trying our best, but there are various laws and logistical details that make it difficult to provide parity in price or shipping as we do in some other regions. Really sorry but we are making progress. Thanks.
    ok fine, but why no shipping in Australia for weeks unless you're a Kickstarter backer?? they don't care about the changing dollar, they HAVE a unit they backed, paid for and have had for years.. sure getting a free unit is nice and all for them, but I WANT to give you money for this thing and you've not even given me the courtesy of being able to pay for it before the dollar gets shit.. telling me not charging me until it ships is a GOOD thing is bollocks, and telling me that free shipping is a GOOD thing and I should be thankful.. I am thankful, but if the price increases how is that actually compensation for the screw up it was supposed to say "sorry" for??

I can understand that you were trying your best (I'm an adult and I work for a large company and I understand things happen), but it's been weeks now and we were told that the shipping issues were FIXED.

we can see others in regions getting units and are at 40+ mins... I woke up at 2am and waited to order.. I didn't wait until morning (or for that matter, stop eating breakfast so I could goto the computer and click F5) and MAYBE think about ordering one - I set my alarm, I told everyone that I was doing it, I have waited and planned and looked forward to this thing for months and now all I feel is frustration and disappointment.. I managed to get an order at 8mins not 50. my original estimate was March when I ordered, then it changed to "sometime" in the LAST TWO WEEKS THAT HAVE JUST GONE. I've contacted support about this a few times and the replies have gone from "your estimate is accurate, please contact us if you don't get it so we 'can findout what is wrong' " to "it was only an estimate".

I had every single person give me cash for my birthday instead of something else so I could have the money to buy this and I've waited with that money for months, not buying other nice things with it.

I'm ringing my bank every 48 hours (and sit in a friken IVR queue for 30 mins each time) to tell them of an impending charge on my CC and it still hasn't happened in 3 weeks coz I foolishly assumed that you'd charge my account before my shipping window.

I've gone from someone who wanted to be an early adopter, who was excited and proud of being one, someone who's been saying how awesome this all is and Oculus are (I even thought the facebook acquisition was a good idea), and now I'm someone who would jump ship IF there was a better product on the market. I've gone from someone who was desperately looking forward to it, to someone who will like the unit but will be looking for ANY decent alternative in 2 years time..

I've devoted energy, time and money to this and your company, and I've gone from a fan who would only buy your product, to someone who will take the unit and look elsewhere, from someone who's defended comments, statements and bullshit to someone who wouldn't piss on you if you were burning in the street.

(all references to "you" are not you cyber, but a global generic royal "you")

I don't expect a reply, and I understand that even if you do reply that it's got to be a generic, placating reply but I hope for the love of god that you're going to someone who's looking at nice, bland, consumer market location numbers and telling them that people think they're being cocks about this..
  • ZentosiZentosi Posts: 25
    I understand the frustration but is it really that big a deal? Annoying very much so but the end of the world? No.
    hey @Zentosi I'm not going to comment anymore (as cyber said "appropriate comments in the right threads"), coz even I'm getting tired of myself, except for one final thing to answer your question.. I've devoted a LOT of my time in good faith based on what I've been told by oculus (both here, reddit, and by Oculus support) to be ready for my shipment.
  • mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    edited May 2016
    Zandil said:
    AUD, CAD, Euro, Pound, and Yen currencies supported by all games in applicable markets.
    Yay
    Not sure where you are based but this might not be such a good thing. For an example Chronos was $49.99 = £34.25, but for the privilege in paying in GBP you now have to pay £39.99, thats a pretty big increase. Ive not seen the new store so not got a chance to compare any other games yet. There are many cards that don't charge an international transaction and if you dont have one there are free top up cards that you can get that allow you to top up in your local currency and spend in any currency without fee's, and these can be got instantly.

Dont get me wrong this was always going to happen but at the same time its not something that I was looking forward too. Obviously you might not be in the UK and the exchange rate where your from might favour paying in your local currency. I just wish there wasn't always such a premium in digital market places for buying content in the UK (and other regions/currencies) but hey ho, the way she goes.
  • kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    Since this update my dk2 sensor no longer comes on. Are there any other dk2 users having the same issue? I have tried changing ports but to no avail.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 8,046 Power Poster
    edited May 2016
    Everything works great for me after the update, however I did notice one thing:

My game progress in Hitman VR was completely reset. I triple checked everything and the game has me back at level 1 as though I just purchased Hitman for the first time. Not a big problem since I love the game and can get back to where I left off fairly quickly (I was at Stage 5 I think).

But just FYI!
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane

• kuabikuabi Posts: 92
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited May 2016
    The sensor doesn't even come on in 0.8 now :-/

** SOLVED ** Removed everything oculus, turned off, moved usb ports (again), booted up and downloaded setup and allowed it to upgrade to 1.4. This time the tracker worked but it didn't accept spacebar as "A" button. Moved keyboard to a different port and all is now OK :smiley: 

• paesanpaesan Posts: 50
    Hiro Protagonist
    The update did not show up for me yet so I downloaded the oculus app and updated that way but the version number still shows 1.3.2.208104. The download .exe shows version 1.4.0.220343.
    Intel i7 7700k | Asus ROG Strix Z270E | G Skill Ripjaws 32GB 3200 | Asus GTX1080-O8G
    EVGA Supernova 850 G2 | Samsung 960 Pro M.2 500GB | Swiftech H240 X2 | WD Black 5TB | WD Black 4TB
    Toshiba 1TB | Corsair Graphite 760T | Windows 10 64 bit | Rift CV1 + Touch
    Trinity
    The installer doesn't actually contain the software.  It downloads the software, so it could still pull the older version. It's a pretty silly distribution model.  There isn't a large enough install base to do it as a way to mitigate risk of things breaking.  Even if that's how they're justifying it, pushing it out over a weekending pretty much defeats that reasoning.
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,027 Poster of the Week
    kzintzi ~  The River, she is full,  your tears have caused it to runneth over :'(  ... please, grow a pair and stop whining. There are many of us in this exact same boat that you are crying into and your blubbering is now seriously rocking the boat to the brink of tipping over !  Please, dry your eyes and help us row... row - row - row our boat gently down the stream (aka River) to the promised land of VR happiness.  Look ! Yonder on distant horizon... merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily ... life is but a dream ! ;)  smile  :)  
    [sung to the tune of "Lost to Apathy" by Dark Tranquillity]
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 3,350 Power Poster
    Yeah, I'm hoping that they'll eventually give us a little more control over installing updates in the future, whether it's letting us grab the update as soon as it's out, or deferring the update to avoid incompatibility issues.
    i7 5820K 4.25 GHz | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair LPX 32GB DDR4 3000 | Corsair Hydro H100i | Corsair HX750
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Samsung 850 Evo SSD 1 TB | Samsung 840 Evo SSD 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • JShepardJShepard Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited May 2016
    Wow, some people here... Need to grow up, and get busy with something else in their life, while waiting for this toy to be shipped to them... Thank you for release notes.
  • jonjon Posts: 295
    Nexus 6
    Any chance this update provides a toggle option for the inaccurate and misleading warning message that displays when your CPU exceeds the minimum requirements, yet isn't found on the CPU list Oculus uses to check for compatibility.

We're not asking for the message to be removed, mind you... just to be provided with a means of toggling off display of the message when we know it to be completely wrong.
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    Peteo said:

To be fair, they actually did explicitly warn people:

“This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus.  “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software.”

Some folks just chose to hear only what they want to hear.
    Trinity
    jon said:

It's more an issue with Oculus constantly contradicting itself.  Palmer clearly stated that they had no interest in blocking games to run on other platforms.
  • Everyone just take a deep breath and watch Louis C.K.: everything is amazing and nobody is happy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8LaT5Iiwo4
    Nexus 6
    goldenegg said:
    jon said:

It's more an issue with Oculus constantly contradicting itself.  Palmer clearly stated that they had no interest in blocking games to run on other platforms.

As commented on in another thread, the Palmer quote is cherry-picked from Reddit and made before the commercial availability of the Rift or the Vive.  The Oculus quote to VRFocus was directly in response to Revive.  One seems much more apropos than the other.

In any case, it's worth noting now:
    “This is a hack, and we don’t condone it,” Oculus VR said in a statement issued to VRFocus.  “Users should expect that hacked games won’t work indefinitely, as regular software updates to games, apps, and our platform are likely to break hacked software.”

...as it seems quite likely this won't be the last time an Oculus update breaks Revive.

Trinity
    vrmower said:
    Pushing software changes whenever you feel like it without asking is completely wrong and unacceptable.
    Yup.  It wouldn't be so bad if they had offline installers, so there's a way to roll back should the update break stuff.
  • PeteoPeteo Posts: 262
    edited May 2016
    Sorry but Palmers quote does matter. Its the public face of the company and he (or the company) LIED.

That's fine if they call this a hack (its a wrapper to translate calls from oculus to openVR) But they should have at least acknowledge palmer's past quotes and say No we will not support other headsets with our store or say we are working on support for other HMDS.

There's also a whole other matter to talk about is do we really want to support closed accessories on the PC platform? It would be like saying games are exclusivity locked to dell monitors. Just makes no sense.

Also this is a good Reddit post:
    "They didn't break revive specifically.

Revive still works.

They made it so games won't startup if the rift isn't connected. New drm that treats the rift as a hardware authorization dongle."

• MradrMradr Posts: 1,930 Poster of the Week
    The HMD is not just a monitor ~ get over it.
  • BekatsaBekatsa Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I think that it extended my sensors range!!!!! It may have been a glitch or a faulty problem before by my sensor was on scanning about a 3x3 square foot area in my 7.5/7.5 square foot space i made available for it. After this update it scanned my WHOLE room i accidentally went further than I normally do and I realized that I had gone further than It could before, I walked to the corner of my room and unbelievable It accurately and consistantly picked it up, 15x15 feet!!!!! If oculus actually managed to make an update which fixed my room problem (Clearly seems that way) Il be damned and award my full respect towards oculus.