New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No working 360 mode in Youtube for Gear VR

TheFriisTheFriis Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited May 2016 in Samsung Gear VR
Hey peeps

Just got my headset, really excited :smile: 

I really wanted to head to youtube and watch some quality 360 3D movies, but it seems that I have hit a dead end. When you load the video in full screen, you can choose between 6 different options:

- 2D
- 3D SBS (side by side) 
- 3D TB (top bottom)
- 360 3D SBS (side by side)
- 360 3D TB (top bottom)

Aside from the 2D which is a daft, none of them seems to be working. What exactly are these optimised for if not Gear VR? I assume they work with Google Cardboard? 

Is there any Gear VR owners out there who can shed light on this matter, or any other headset owners who have it working somehow?

Thanks a million

P.S: On a Gear VR with a Samsung S6 Edge - 360 videos working like a charm in Oculus Video and MilkVR

Comments

• VLordVLord Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    So far I have noticed that it really just depends on the video itself. It you YouTube 360 videos there are a ton that work when you change the mode. I have also come across some that were just too close in your face that it was messed up.
  • TheFriisTheFriis Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Ok, that was my experience too with a bunch of movie trailer and a few others. Do we know why these videos are fucked up for Gear VR?

@VLord, could you share an example of a 360 3D that works for you? (Are you on Gear VR or Rift?)
  • vakeesan.babavakeesan.baba Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hi, i am using S8 with samsung gear vr but it is not working ANY more... i don;t know maybe an update messed it up it used to work before.. it was sick now i need to download the file and upload back to S8 :( too much work... it is formatting in a different way i have made a video check it out 

how i fix this issue 
  • cellbioscellbios Posts: 4
    NerveGear

Same issue here in France. 1 month old Galaxy S7 edge with 7.0 Nougat, a recent Gear VR bought together with the phone.

Whereas Gear videos movies or the samples on the oculus store will run just fine along with even third party real-time 3D VR scenes such as this one from three.js browsed from Samsung internet or the Oculus browser, NO Youtube 360 video will show normally. The image is always split horizontally, whatever the chosen view mode  (360, 3D, etc.. all combinations shows wrong images).

Like if the environment 3D sphere used to map the videos had wrong UVs coordinates... Like you are mapping 360 image on half the requested surface, hence giving an image way too zoomed so blurry, and a half incomplete environment, only showing 180° of the video stretched on a 360° surface..

Another interesting concern to note is that Samsung Gear 360 panoramas and movies captures are also affected by the exact same problem, so won't work neither.

Any new infos on the issue ?

Thank you for the support.

NerveGear

Same issue here in France. 1 month old Galaxy S7 edge with 7.0 Nougat, a recent Gear VR bought together with the phone.

Whereas Gear videos movies or the samples on the oculus store will run just fine along with even third party real-time 3D VR scenes such as this one from three.js browsed from Samsung internet or the Oculus browser, NO Youtube 360 video will show normally. The image is always split horizontally, whatever the chosen view mode  (360, 3D, etc.. all combinations shows wrong images).

Like if the environment 3D sphere used to map the videos had wrong UVs coordinates... Like you are mapping 360 image on half the requested surface, hence giving an image way too zoomed so blurry, and a half incomplete environment, only showing 180° of the video stretched on a 360° surface..

Another interesting concern to note is that Samsung Gear 360 panoramas and movies captures are also affected by the exact same problem, so won't work neither.

Any new infos on the issue ?

Thank you for the support.

• luigibianco20luigibianco20 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem....My youtube not work anymore with 360 videos... and it was working some months ago before updates...  please, help me...  or i should buy another VR for watch youtube?
    NerveGear
    edited November 2017
    Hi mates, Sorry to bump that hard but if we are doing something wrong or if the issue is acknowledged, the least of courtesies would have been to inform your customers on what's next specially after reporting the issue since august. Keeping all UTD here but no VR mode on youtube shows properly on my gearVR + S7 edge...
    Thanks for a prompt answer, this time... 
  • gerantgerantgerantgerant Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here. Australia. Youtube worked great for months. S7edge. Youtube has stopped working with 360vids ever since the last update. I make 360 content and this is the primary way for us to practically share our work. Super frustrating! Is there a fix on the make? :smile:
  • santoevertonsantoeverton Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same here, I think the problem is youtube changed the format of compact videos and dont work anymore. I have Oculus Rift and dont work anymore too, not only in Gear VR.
  • MoriteouriousMoriteourious Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited November 23
    Sooo.. still not working..?