New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

My Rift CV1 stand

agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
Trinity
Posted this on /r/oculus just now, but thought I'd share here too.
3D printed parts, a speaker stand, a couple of threaded rods, and nuts.  Working on a prettier V2.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Otike

Comments

• mambo1888mambo1888 Posts: 796
    Neo
    Looks good mate, I think having it stored with the display facing down is a good idea as there will be less chance of dust or particles laying on the surface of the lenses.
  • LV426LV426 Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    Nice!
    Intel Core I7-3770K OC 4.2ghz Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling MSI Z77A-GD65 Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB Kingston HyperX SSD MSI GTX 980 Twin Frozr. DK2
  • agenttoffagenttoff Posts: 325
    Trinity
    edited May 2016
    Thanks!  @mambo1888 yeah, that was exactly my thinking.  

Also, it looks much taller in the pics, but in actuality it's just tall enough so the headset is about chest height when I'm seated. 
    Neo
    agenttoff said:
    Thanks!  @mambo1888 yeah, that was exactly my thinking.  

Also, it looks much taller in the pics, but in actuality it's just tall enough so the headset is about chest height when I'm seated. 
    Good idea mate, will need to have a think about where to keep mine now...
  • sbushman18sbushman18 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Super cool!  You should offer these to the forum.  I'd take one.
    Trinity
    @sbushman18 Thanks. :)  Might do that with v2 if there's interest, or on request.  I'll post when that one's finished. 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    that looks really good man! Good way to get all the dust just to land on the plastic part :smile: 

I'm still too scared to leave mine out, it goes straight back in the box when I'm done! :P
    Trinity
    edited May 2016
    @CardinalStorm yes...uh...that's not at all distur...*runs*

@FrozenPea thanks. ;)  Yeah, I just got tired of the big box sitting on my desk, and this makes it even easier to just pop on whenever I feel like trying something out for a few minutes.  

I also need a Vive solution, since that's just sitting wrapped up on the floor.  There's a nice wall mount on Thingiverse, but I don't have a wall to mount on, so I think I'll either modify it to be a deskmount, or design one from scratch. 
    Neo
    @agenttoff ;

I was inspired by your design and having a think about how to mount my vive and rift. I was looking at theese simply fitting 2 under the desk to rest the rift on and 2 in the other room for the vive. I was thinking of using a combination of tape and heatshrink to make them more padded and not leave indentations on the foam padding. 
    Trinity
    @mambo1888  That would work, but the Rift's foam is so soft, I'd be worried about how easily it would create indents, even with extra padding.  I think the Vive would be okay with that solution though.

I'd consider something like permanent loops around the pivots (where mine rests) using either string, zip ties, or earring hoops.  Something that wouldn't be bothersome leaving on, then I'd hang it from those.  
    Or use a few L brackets angled upwards so it slides into the same spots without sliding off.  Hope that makes sense. 
    Neo
    @agenttoff Ive not had a chance to see a cv1 in person yet but thats interesting that the foam is a lot softer than the vive. I wasnt even sure if the Vive would be too soft, my plan if that was the case would be to connect the two arm's with something like cardboard and then wrap some thin black foam I have lying around to give it a neat finish. 

I get what your saying about angling them up slightly, that will help with the indentation problem by the headset taking some of the weight.

I definitely want to have the lenses facing down after seeing your design for added protection.
  • oscopeoscope Posts: 44
    Brain Burst
    agenttoff said:
    3D printed parts, a speaker stand, a couple of threaded rods, and nuts.  Working on a prettier V2.

looks good, man!  I've been thinking of a rift stand too.  My thought was maybe picking up a guitar wall mount(the hook kind) and maybe using something like that.  A floor stand is scary to me considering my pet is a little monster who will destroy all that I hold dear and love.  
    Trinity
    oscope said:
    agenttoff said:

looks good, man!  I've been thinking of a rift stand too.  My thought was maybe picking up a guitar wall mount(the hook kind) and maybe using something like that.  A floor stand is scary to me considering my pet is a little monster who will destroy all that I hold dear and love.  
    I have a few guitar stands that I kept eyeing to see if there's any way of using them, but I think the yokes/hooks on guitar stands are too narrow.  They'd end up resting on the lenses.   If you're looking to wall mount, and know anyone with a 3D printer it would be really easy to make a wall mount similar to mine. 
  • xWandererxxWandererx Posts: 386
    Trinity
    @CardinalStorm I find if u wrap em in enough cling film it vastly reduces the smell also wrapping the head tight prevents moaning- hope that helps :)
  • dglenndglenn Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited May 2016
     Now if you can make more in time for Christmas! :smiley: 
    Me, I when the cheep and easy route. I went to a wig store and bought me a foam head. The foam head has a hole on the bottom for a stand, so I took my mike stand and plunked the Styrofoam head on top. Kinda looks like a head on a spike but it dos the job. It's also good for placing the headset at a normal eye level when I'm hacking code for a scene w/o having to put on the headset all the time. The only thing I've neglected is that I should give my stand-in a name! Any Ideas?   
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1180555578643015&set=a.168024159896167.38027.100000657511593&type=3&theater
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,179 Valuable Player
    edited May 2016
    @dglenn - Can you buy foam heads from wig stores? I'll have to quickly go in and ask for a foam head before they ask me what wig I want to try on. I'd be a bit upset at any suggestions I needed a wig.
  • amywoods2993amywoods2993 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    @mambo1888 I found something similar at Toolstation