cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rift Valley

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Heya Rift Peeps!

As part of our Torque 3D Oculus Rift launch today we have also released a game demo that anyone may download and try out:

Rift Valley (link at bottom of blog)

Wander around and explore this small and secluded valley. Everything was created with the Rift in mind, and you may use either the WASD keys and mouse, or a Xbox360 gamepad to move around. Check out the About button for more details.

Enjoy!

- Dave
12 REPLIES 12

nickanderson
Explorer
Thanks just tried it out, it is a great demo of what is to come.

sven
Protege
Great work on the Rift support and on this demo, I look forward to giving it a try.

IM0001
Protege
Great work so far. Graphics and Rift integration are spot on. Not a fan of the "Look-2-Aim" method but I figure that is only a placeholder at this point.

Great work so far.
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

Alt
Explorer
Great demo! I really enjoyed the ambient sound design you guys did, it really helps to improve immersion. Control over how fast the base walk / turn speed is would be nice, I personally found the turn speed to be dizzying.

Keep up the great work!

MrGeddings
Explorer
yay! another Rift Demo. cant wait to try it out . Glad to see another 3D Game engine supporting the Rift 🙂 hope for lots more cool stuff to come!

davidwyandgg
Explorer
Thanks, everyone!

@IM0001:
That was the easiest method to implement as it matches what we already have with the mouse or gamepad. Hopefully our Torque 3D game developer community will experiment with other control methods and share. There is nothing stopping someone implementing all of the TF2 control methods in Torque 3D.

@Alt:
The game developer has full control over these settings and could adjust them for their game. You could try it yourself if you feel adventurous. To adjust the player's run speed open art/datablocks/player.cs in a text editor and find maxForwardSpeed, maxBackwardSpeed and maxSideSpeed starting at line 527. Modify these, save the changes, and restart the Rift Valley demo.

As for turn speed using the gamepad, open scripts/client/default.bind.cs in a text editor and look for the getGamepadAdjustAmount() function on line 149. There is a calculation there to determine how much the gamepad's thumb stick will affect pitch and yaw changes. You could modify that 10.0 at the end of the calculation to something you are more comfortable with.

- Dave

IM0001
Protege
I know it is a long and well. OLD shot, but would there be any way to get Tribes 2 Rift Support? I know it is old, but if I could get TF2 style controls and VR in Tribes, it would be heaven.
i7 3930K @ 4.4Ghz | Mushkin 32GB PC2133 | SLI GTX 780s | Asus P9X79 Deluxe | Logitech G19 + G700s + G940 + G25 + Saitek X52 | Oculus DK2 + Asus VG278H @ 120 Hz + 1440P Korean Special @ 90Hz| Creative X-Fi Titanium + Klipsch ProMedia 4.1| Windows 10 Pro

MattRix
Honored Guest
Really, the only thing that matters here is that you can CLIMB THE TREES.

Seriously, go find the highest tree and then climb to the top and enjoy the sense of height and vertigo 🙂 Oh and then shoot grenades off it into the distance 😄

I also really liked to try shooting grenades into the air and then running and trying to "catch" them before they land... it made me realize that even being an outfielder in a baseball game would be pretty fun with the Rift.

davidwyandgg
Explorer
@IM0001:
GarageGames doesn't own the license to Tribes 2 so there isn't anything we can do about it. And Torque 3D has come a long way since Tribes 2 was released in 2001 so you really couldn't make use of it. They would need to do everything that I did with their own code base. This would probably be a big deal as Tribes 2 even predates shaders.

If you're looking for the Tribes 2 experience, Legions Overdrive was often considered the spiritual successor to Tribes 2 when it was originally launched on the old Instant Action platform. Now it is a stand alone game and it looks like they are still maintaining it. Its code is based on a more recent version of the Torque engine that includes shaders so it is a good candidate for Rift support.

- Dave