cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SUGGESTION] Provide API linking for Discord or other community services...

MattariOnline
Honored Guest
Hey, so I had a few ideas regarding API linking for various services. I know I'm surely not the only one, by far, but I feel it would be healthy discussion to mention it and also give others a chance to speak their mind on it.

Now of course when I think API linking for social and gaming, I think Steam. We all have.
I think it would be a great idea, and I 100% support it whole-heartedly, but I feel it is too early in the game and Oculus is still building up the healthy competition before branching their integrations with Steam. That said, if they ever consider it, I think it would be one of their wisest business decisions.

But Steam isn't the primary topic I'm covering today... Actually, today I would like to discuss Discord.

I recently learned about the new and upcoming "Discord" client and I didn't realize how great it was until I experienced it. Having a place that didn't force registration, allowed for both downloadable standalone and browser support, not to mention the easy of both their text chat and voice chat...it was a pleasant experience. An important thing I noticed was that they had service integrations, but even more so, it was also minimally invasive and simply allowed the user to branch and share their social media connections.

Now Oculus, especially owned by Facebook now, is certainly looking towards social as a possibility. The problem we are having so far is that the community on their social platform is far too new, not to mention hard to connect with others. This is what gave me the idea: what if Oculus provided an integration API in general, as well as contacting Discord with a copy.

This would then open many doors for integrating our Oculus social information with other services and it would allow the community to grow and "run into others" who use Oculus. Additionally, should the Oculus community mix with the Discord community, that freely spreads Oculus' name through another community, but it also gives a platform we could use for out-of-VR text or voice chat.

What we need is a place to meet other Oculus users and hang out, chat, and grow as a community, but we don't have that as readily available.

This drives my main point once more.. We need API integrations and Oculus should openly welcome other services integrating with its social platform. We need this to grow as a community, to branch out, and to also spread our love for VR with others.

I would love to hear what everyone else thinks on this, as well as what you think would be great to integrate with Oculus' social platform and why.

Thanks for reading and have a fantastic day!
0 REPLIES 0