New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lens cleaning cv1

mrhomelymrhomely Posts: 38
Brain Burst
So I have some inevitable small smudges on my cv1 lenses. I cleaned them with the provided cloth and while the lenses sure look clear, the God rays seems to be quite a bit humm well worse. I'm assuming that the cloth just smoothed out the smudges to be all across the lenses. So I was thinking of getting the cleaners the pros use for camera's and highend optics...thought I would run it by you guys first
Tagged:

Comments

• mrhomelymrhomely Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    My understanding is that the cv1 lenses are also NOT made of glass and are some sort of polymer? Im really worried that iso might react negatively with the polymer. Any confirmed cleaners out there?
  • memg8123memg8123 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the similar experiance with 'God Rays' with the cv1.  I tried using different micro cloth (new one of course) from my eye doctor.  That seems clear out few effects.  However, that doesn't solve the issue, where I can still notice the rays around my eyes when at a high contrast theme.  Hope someone out there have better solution.
    Brain Burst
    I know that the God rays are just going to be there but after I cleaned it with the provided cloth they're quite a bit worse. I'm assuming that I just smoothed the smudges around the lenses and didn't actually clean them off.
  • sbushman18sbushman18 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    My eye doctor gives out leader lens cleaner.  It is alcohol free and safe for use on all types of lenses and coatings.  It does a killer job on my glasses which are not glass, and have a lot of coatings.  I have also started using it to clean my computer and ipad screens.  It's pretty darn good.  Gets all oils off without a bit of streaking.  I bet it would be fine for the rift's lenses, as it's specially designed to be gentle on polycarbonate lenses.
    Brain Burst
    Got a link to where I can buy this wonderful product? :smiley:
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    These are recommended (unofficially) by an Oculus staff member:

http://www.amazon.com/MCR-Anti-fog-Premoistened-Towelettes-UB700/dp/B004Z29L9K

The CV1 lenses are indeed made of a non-glass material, and isopropyl alcohol is not friendly to plastics, so avoid that. The included microfiber cloth is safe to use, but with very little pressure. Scratches can result if dust is not removed before using the cloth, so I'm planning to use a puffer (like those used by photographers) to clear any dust, then lightly wipe with a towelette, and finally a very light wipe with a microfibre cloth if needed.
    Brain Burst
    You guys are sweet! Thanks a ton! I'm glad I asked before screwing up my lenses.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    I still have my lens wipe from the DK2, which was apparently very good at cleaning godrays.  Combined with the lens wipe from the CV1, which is clearly very good are removing SDE, my CV1 stays tip top all the time.

(please do not run off and try to buy a DK2 lens wipe on ebay after reading this, I'll feel bad.)
  • ChoronzonChoronzon Posts: 341
    Nexus 6
    edited May 2016
    jon said:
    I still have my lens wipe from the DK2, which was apparently very good at cleaning godrays.  Combined with the lens wipe from the CV1, which is clearly very good are removing SDE
    God-ray artefacts are the result of the fresnel lenses, there are no god-rays in DK2. And how exactly do lens wipes remove screendoor?
    Brain Burst
    Lol John yeah dk2 had a different kind of lens and didn't have God rays. At least the vive has them too so at least we have that. As far as the screen door...well maybe cv2 :neutral:
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    jon said:
    I still have my lens wipe from the DK2, which was apparently very good at cleaning godrays.  Combined with the lens wipe from the CV1, which is clearly very good are removing SDE
    God-ray artefacts are the result of the fresnel lenses, there are no god-rays in DK2. And how exactly do lens wipes remove screendoor?

Thus the bit in parenthesis.
    (I was kiddin' around.)
    Nexus 6
    @RobHermans Have you use those lens cleaning towelettes? The anti-fog stuff I've used had an unpleasant smell - if the towelettes don't smell, great.
  • RobHermansRobHermans Posts: 712
    3Jane
    edited May 2016
    I'm not in the US, so I don't have that exact brand (not available on AmazonUK). I use a similar product which does not have a strong smell, made by a company called Healthpoint Ltd.
    @cybereality recommended them, so he could tell us whether they have a strong smell or not?
    Nexus 6
    jon said:

Thus the bit in parenthesis.
    (I was kiddin' around.)
    Very droll, Jon.
    Brain Burst
    Lol again Jon, I totally didn't get the sarcasm...I see it now :wink:
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The MCR wipes (and most I've used) have an alcohol-like smell, but it dissipates pretty fast, and I don't recall smelling it after waiting just a few seconds.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Yeah I bought the ones RobHermans linked. Kinda expensive compared to the others but if they work in guess I don't really care how much they cost. That and that box will last me a long time and I really don't want to screw up my lenses. Thanks again for all of your great advice guys. Please add anything other advice you can think of.
  • OctopusJonesOctopusJones Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It looks like the main concern here is keeping the view clear, but what about disinfecting the lenses? I'd imagine someone could pass pinkeye or some other kind of infection along to the next user. Even the recommended towelettes say nothing about sanitation. There has to be SOMETHING out there that will keep the lenses hygienic!
    ... Right?