New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Sensor USB not detected

artvegam3artvegam3 Posts: 5
NerveGear
I just got my OR today and I can't finish the setup because the Sensor is not being detected as a USB 3.0. I have a MOBO Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 that has 4 USB 3.0 ports, 2 in the back and 2 on top. I'm connecting the headset into the HDMI of the GTX 970 videocard and the USB into one of the back USB 3.0 ports, both are recognized as OK by OR setup. Then I plug the sensor in the other USB 3.0 port in the back and marks an error. I swap the USB 3.0 port connections with the headset and the sensor, but I get the same error. I plug back the headset and is marked as OK. I have tried in all the other USB ports, even the 2.0 but still get the error.
In the Device view in control panel, it shows the OR sensor and it says at the bottom that is connected at a USB 3.0 port. but is marked as an unrecognized device. 
Could this be a faulty sensor? or what other alternatives do I have to explore before discarding that possibility?
Please help. $650 USD is not a small amount of money, to get something that doesn't work out of the box.
Thanks.

Comments

• artvegam3artvegam3 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Update: I plugged the sensor into a USB 2.0 port and I got the yellow warning message but I was able to complete the setup. I'm pretty sure that the USB 3.0 ports are working fine, because everything else I connect there works, except for the OR sensor. Any suggestions? 
  • chrissaadchrissaad Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Having the same issue. Crazy that there's been no official reply here
  • scottharmes6scottharmes6 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I had the same issue on two USB 3.0 ports, but plugging it in to a third worked.  I'm not sure why.  I have had intermittent issues with some USB 3.0 ports in the past.
  • ZdrojewskiZdrojewski Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Same issue. The sensor didn't like three of my four USB 3.0 ports, haven't gotten an error message since plugging it into the fourth. The headset hasn't had a problem with any of them.
  • pasoftdevpasoftdev Posts: 16
    I have the other problem around, the sensor works just fine on every usb port I try but the headset doesn't work at all (the orange led turns on but I'm stuck in the detecting phase)
  • okongsviokongsvi Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    My sensor was not detected no matter which usb port I tried. Reinstalled oculus software several times in both Win7 and 10 with no difference. What worked in the end, with both Win7 and 10, was installing the oculus software on a different hard drive. Instead of the default c:\program files\oculus, I installed on d:\oculus and the sensor was finally detected! I have no idea why the install path would make any difference though.
  • SeehearnatSeehearnat Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I put the sensor plug into the cable that came with the Xbox controler, after doing so I've had no problems.
  • apolk27apolk27 Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I put the sensor plug into the cable that came with the Xbox controler, after doing so I've had no problems.

I love you.
  • GabkicksGabkicks Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    edited June 2016
    sensor isnt detected at all for me :/ windows doesnt detect it being plugged in or out at all. The headset and hdmi work though. I tried updating ASmeda usb drivers and ran a windows update and still nothing. I'm on windows 10 64 bit and and ASrock z97x Fatality motherboard
    Oculus rift DK2, 4790k, R9 290 crossfire disabled, 16gb DDR3 1866, Windows 10 64-bit, 2 monitors.
  • InsideMTInsideMT Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    I have the same problem. Sent in three help desk tickets, no solution. The sensor was working for a while but then failed. I uninstalled and re-installed the oculus software multiple times. Tried all the USB 3 ports, The sensor turns on, then shuts off, then on, then off. Had my pre-ordered device for less than a month, maybe used it a half dozen times and now it is unusable. Lots of money to just collect dust.
    NerveGear
    Holy smokes, plugging it in through the usb 2 extension worked. Weird.

NerveGear
    Now the stupid thing bounced constantly, makes me sick. Is this hardware really this glitchy? After six months of waiting since pre-order. This is the $500 crap sandwich they deliver?

NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    The bouncing is some conflict between the sensor being plugged through the usb 2 dongle. I plugged it strait back into usb 3 and the bouncing stopped but it says it can't find the sensor.
  • retiredferetiredfe Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Well, I have the same exact problem.  I have tried plugging the sensor into the xbox cord to the USB, that did not work, I just put Oculus on my D drive, that did not work, I tried plugging into a 2.0 USB port, that did not work.  This whole problem started a few days ago after the Oculus 1.7 update.  It's been nothing but headaches since.  Worked well until then, now the sensor is in, out, in, out.  $600 for nothing.  Hope they get the memo from these forums and get another update to fix it, or figure out a way to let us roll the update back.  This is ridiculous.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    edited August 2016
    You probably have unsupported USB ports, or a below spec computer. Try getting a USB 3.0 add-on card. This one is confirmed to be working. 
    https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-Expansion/dp/B00B6ZCNGM
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    I installed a PCIe USB 3 card. It didn't fix it. Oculus finally got back and offered to replace the sensor. Haven't got the new one yet. Replacing the motherboard tonight with a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming. On Reddit alot of people said they were having this problem with ASUS motherboards, so it's worth a try.

Way frustrating though. 

I will update. 
  • LokiThorneLokiThorne Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    For Asus boards, trying uninstalling the ASUS AI Suite.  The USB driver on that thing KILLED my Oculus.  As soon as I uninstalled it, I had a whole lot better performance.  I still have camera dropouts (although I haven't gotten one in the 12 hours since I plugging it into a powered hub...), but the performance is MUCH better.
  • spammalerosspammaleros Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem on gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. Works only on USB 2.0, not 3.0
  • spammalerosspammaleros Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem on gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R motherboard. Works only on USB 2.0, not 3.0
    UPD: looks like the problem exists only when BOTH Oculus and Sensor are connected to USB 3.0
  • HaliluHalilu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I've just fixed this problem on my computer by going in to device manager you can see Oculus VR devices underneath it says Rift Sensor and that is the triangle with the explanation mark. I right clicked on that and select update driver software it will ask you to ether Search automatically for updated driver software or browse my computer for driver software select Browse go to C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers  and click next it than said driver successfully installed. That's what worked for me anyway good luck. Was a really annoying problem happen to me after the last update.
  • DarkmanSVKDarkmanSVK Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    okongsvi said:
    My sensor was not detected no matter which usb port I tried. Reinstalled oculus software several times in both Win7 and 10 with no difference. What worked in the end, with both Win7 and 10, was installing the oculus software on a different hard drive. Instead of the default c:\program files\oculus, I installed on d:\oculus and the sensor was finally detected! I have no idea why the install path would make any difference though.
    great it worked
  • karlandkarland Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    It worked :-)

thank you very much!!!   Danke

• NjayNLNjayNL Posts: 137
    Art3mis
    disabling usb legacy support in your bios might work also
  • TheGoldenDragonTheGoldenDragon Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Thanks for the encouragement... several install/uninstall cycles later, this is what worked for me: HMD into back 3.0, and sensors in front 3.0 and back 2.0. Not sure what it was finally that did it, but if you're getting the same issue, keep trying things until it works!!
  • MerlinCMerlinC Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    You might want to have a look here as well. No solution but some insight information what might cause the issue.

https://forums.oculus.com/community/discussion/47770/usb-details-on-electrical-requirements#latest

• zhanglidengzhanglideng Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the same problem.  The sensor was not detected no matter which usb port I tried including USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Reinstalled oculus setup software several times in Windows 10 with no difference. I have to be mad.....
  • DARKKiDARKKi Posts: 20
    Brain Burst
    I am having this exact same prolem :(

Just got my Rift today and device manager finds the sensor but Oculus setup does not. And when using usb3 ports it sometimes says usb2 and sometimes usb3...
    ..:: DARKKi / NZTi! ::..
    Ninja Zero - Prototype v0.4b "ssdd"
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 23,033 Oculus Staff
    Have you tried different USB ports (including USB 2.0)?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ezzaezza Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    Halilu said:
    I've just fixed this problem on my computer by going in to device manager you can see Oculus VR devices underneath it says Rift Sensor and that is the triangle with the explanation mark. I right clicked on that and select update driver software it will ask you to ether Search automatically for updated driver software or browse my computer for driver software select Browse go to C:\Program Files\Oculus VR Runtime Drivers  and click next it than said driver successfully installed. That's what worked for me anyway good luck. Was a really annoying problem happen to me after the last update.
    this worked for me!
    thanks!