cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flare Prototype/Demo

McCa
Honored Guest
This is a short WIP prototype for a survival game I am developing for the Rift.

Screenshots:
http://imgur.com/a/9wQC5

Download PC/Mac:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjszt5zn87a4ln2/Flare_SpaceStation_PC.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/72ggx2d0o6x0h37/Flare_SpaceStation_OSX.zip

EDIT: New Update:

-Added a checkpoint before the gunship attack
    -Removed hit reaction of the gunship
    -Added a shield effect to the gunship to make it clearer that it is invulnerable to turret fire
    -Added a main menu that you are returned to when you complete the demo
    -Widened the walkway blocked by the strong crates
    -Added a red explosion to the minebots to differentiate between them suiciding and being killed
    -Added an xray shader to the minebots so they can be seen through walls
    -Fixed glitch that allowed you to break the sealed door sooner than intended

Some notes:

-The performance is pretty bad right now because of some problems I am having with a plugin, so this probably won't run well on a computer not built for gaming
    -The art assets are all stand in obviously, and it is a violation of the Geneva Convention to mock a programmer for his art skills
    -The GUI is all temporary, and doesn't work properly unless at the rift native 1280x800
    -The demo will work without the rift, but the resolution is locked to the Rifts native for the time being since I don't have proper GUI in there yet
    -In the final game you will not be able to walk off ledges, but to save time making this demo I am using the Unity CharacterController component which doesn't easily support that. So just like… pretend there isn't gravity…
    -The sound effect volume levels are all over the place. Some are incredibly loud, so caution to headphone users
    -I haven't had much time to test this on Windows machines so please let me know if there are any problems with it

Info:

-This demo took me about five weeks to create in Unity 4 Pro
    -All sound effects are from Freesounds.com (Will post attributions soon)
    -All 3D models are from Blendswap or turbosquid (Will post attributions soon)

Suggestions/notes welcome, please let me know of any bugs or oddities you find.
Known issues:

-The piston physics and collisions are wonky when it isn't in use
    -You have no shadow when in walking mode
    -There are ways to accidentally skip the scripted events. These can be particularly difficult to root out so if you find a way to do so please let me know how you did it.
37 REPLIES 37

Devalinor
Honored Guest
I like it! The shock moment ( I think you know wich one i mean ) was really awesome! :mrgreen:

It would be much better if you separate the head movement from the body a bit.

whoisonline
Explorer
Cool, thanks for that, ill need to download and check it out. Thanks for sharing.

Peejle
Explorer
Good job McCa!
Nice visual style and several interesting game mechanics packed into a small level.
Can't wait to see where you go with this.

Peejle

cybereality
Grand Champion
Downloading now.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Nedo
Explorer
Hehe, man this is scary, i'm 45 and allmost got an Heart Attack at one point, you know what i mean :shock:
I love this Demo! But i miss the rotate option on the xbox 360 controller with the right analg stick.

R
Nedo
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

McCa
Honored Guest
"nedo" wrote:
Hehe, man this is scary, i'm 45 and allmost got an Heart Attack at one point, you know what i mean :shock:
I love this Demo! But i miss the rotate option on the xbox 360 controller with the right analg stick.

R
Nedo

I actually haven't been able to test it with a gamepad yet. Does it work as expected other than that?

Nedo
Explorer
yes, everythink works fine, the scale of the Objects feels very real, but i got entangled after a few minutes play,
thats why a rotate stick is needed, i actual dont use it often in other demos only if i feel the cables around me.
Hey i'm stuck to get the 3rd green light, still searching 😉
Order DK1 Mar 30, 2013 / Order DK2: Mar 19, 2014 / Order CV1: Jan 6, 2016 / Order HTC Vive Feb 29, 2016

McCa
Honored Guest
Hey i'm stuck to get the 3rd green light, still searching

Dang it... I just realized the input prompts for the turret are turned off.. When you are possessing the turret, left and right make you slide along the track. You can use it to clear the strong crates out of your way.

Nedo
Explorer
so, wait for a new demo ?? 🙂