New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift DK2 laggy and juddery rotational tracking

konstantin_lozevkonstantin_lozev Posts: 185
Hiro Protagonist

I got a DK2 from a friend to try at home, all installed well on Runtime 1.4 and keeps at the maximum 75 FPS. However, there is extreme judder and lag in the Oculus Home app. I can also describe it as ghosting. It's most visible at the white buttons here https://youtu.be/t_pmKm-b3gI?t=3s

It goes completely away in Oculus Home if the USB plug is unplugged and then plugged again (Oculus home restarts). This part of the video shows it working very well after re-plugging (keep in mind the smearing visible in that is due to the 30FPS that the phone's camera records the video at) https://youtu.be/t_pmKm-b3gI?t=2m52s

It does not matter whether it is USB 2.0 or 3.0. This is not a camera issue, since it occurs also when the camera is unplugged. I am thinking this might be due either to bugs in the rotational tracking (with Asynchronous Timewarp?) or the DK2's screen defaulting to 60hz and still receiving the signal at 75hz. It is very annoying, since all is well and perfectly smooth if you keep your head still (e.g. in Dreamdeck), but once you move your head, the lag/judder/ghosting is terrible.

The trick with unplugging and plugging again works only for Oculus Home, but not for Dreamdeck.

I would be grateful to fellow DK2 owners for any tips on how to fix this.

Comments

• konstantin_lozevkonstantin_lozev Posts: 185
    Hiro Protagonist
    I made separate better videos demonstrating the issue:

- Lag/jitter/ghosting

- No lag/jitter/ghosting after plugging out the USB or HDMI cable

It is obvious in the video, but it is even more obvious if you stop the video at a certain point

I also did a capture to show that the framerate is consistently 75 FPS

• SkateZillaSkateZilla Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    Check Your GPU Clocks :-), 
    Hiro Protagonist
    Check Your GPU Clocks :-), 
    All is OK on the GPU clocks side, checked with GPU-Z, as shown on the third video, all runs consistent and stable at 75 fps. The picture is smooth, but there is a lot of ghosting as shown on the first video. When I restart the headset by unplugging the USB cable, the HDMI cable or switching the DK2 from the front button, the ghosting/lag goes away.
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 367
    Trinity
    I can't really offer any help for the issue at hand, but I can leave you with this: the DK2 is not supported anymore and your experience with it is probably going to get worse as time goes by.

The DK2 is not a substitute for the CV1 and will ALWAYS have some degree of performance issue. Especially when running programs that were built for use on the CV1 like Dreamdeck.
    Hiro Protagonist
    I can't really offer any help for the issue at hand, but I can leave you with this: the DK2 is not supported anymore and your experience with it is probably going to get worse as time goes by.

The DK2 is not a substitute for the CV1 and will ALWAYS have some degree of performance issue. Especially when running programs that were built for use on the CV1 like Dreamdeck.
    Not of much help... The point here is I have used DK2s many many times and I know how good the tracking is. Also, yesterday I tried Runtime 0.8 and all worked flawlessly on the Leap Motion Geometric demo. The bad part is I cannot test runtimes between 0.8 and 1.4 (AFAIK).
    Hiro Protagonist
    I tried now the Leap Motion Geometric demo for 1.3 Runtime and it's flawless, even when the Oculus Home has the lag/ghosting, so it must be something with the Oculus Home and its apps...