New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Gear VR not detected (S7) latest update bricked it!

vapofusionvapofusion Posts: 10
NerveGear
I stopped using my Gear VR for about a week (placed in a drawer), I noticed the latest update and the gear VR is not detected by the phone when inserted. It worked before the update flawlessly and I was disappointed problems from the DK1, DK2 days have come back (completely ruining the experience).

I have tried a lot to fix this and nothing has worked. Starting with:
  • Reset phone - didn't work
  • Uninstalled/reinstalled app - didn't work
  • Factory reset phone - Worked until the Oculus app updated again...seriously
  • Tried different Gear VR - still nothing on my phone S7 (at this point the problem is obviously the phone and the only thing that has changed on my phone since the last time I used the gear VR was the oculus update
  • I have tried my Gear VR in my mates S7 and it works like normal, back in my phone nothing
I am done with Oculus at this point, Nothing but problem after problem after poor customer service. Do one thing right and help me get my device working without waiting an eternity on a reply from customer service, thanks.

Any help from someone with similar problems please chime in!

Comments

• zproxyzproxy Posts: 245
    Art3mis
    did you get in touch with Samsung Support?
  • mikomiko Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Hello,

It happen on my S7 which I bought two days ago... I play with it exactly 5 minutes with the GearVR ^^
    The phone asked to install updates, so I did. But after that, he didn't recognize the GearVR headset anymore...

I did a factory reset, but it does not change anything... 
    My Android Version is 6.0.1
    Baseband version G930FXXU1AEQ
    Kernel Version : 3.18.14-8206888 (27 may 08:36:19)

Should we contact Samsung instead of Oculus ?
    Thanks in advance

• jasimohdjasimohd Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem here; My new S7 won't detect Gear VR after update.
    Samsung: Contact Oculus.
    Oculus: Contact Samsung.
    Would it work with rooted firmware?
  • FensFens Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same issue. One the Oculus app is installed my S7 refuses to detect it when plugged in. I know that it is an issue with the phone as I have tried a friends S6 in the Gear VR that works just fine.
  • SarasotasunSarasotasun Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I have the same issues.  My Verizon Note 5 won't detect Gear VR now after update. Refuses to detect it at all when I plug it in.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I'm not aware of any known issue, but I'm having someone look into this now.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • imejiimeji Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same thing here.. my S7 go to black screen 4 sec when plug in to the Gear VR then go back to normal interface.. Same on my S6 but screen stay black and do nothing. No Oculus Home at all. 

Someone found something to go back to normal... ? I cant use gear Vr anymore and its really boring !
  • lfsnz67lfsnz67 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Yup. Having the same issue with my s7 edge.
  • RANINSRANINS Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same issue here with S6 on Gear VR after latest Oculus update. Gear VR asks to remove the mobile and install the applications on it. Back to square one after one day only! I think there was something wrong with the update as the phone and Gear VR were both working perfectly together yesterday.
    I know it's a bit extreme, but I've seen similar issues like this in the past and a factory reset may help restore VR functionality. I know that's not an option for everyone, but it may be something to consider.

In any case, can you all post your phone model, carrier, and firmware version number? Maybe there is some pattern or something that can help us track this down. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • RANINSRANINS Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    Problem solved for me!
    I got the impression that something in the latest Oculus update stops the phone from recognizing the Gear VR. I went to Settings / Application Manager and uninstalled all the apps related to Gear VR and stopped the Gear VR Service. Connecting back the phone to the Gear VR, the phone prompted to install the Gear VR Software by taking me through the setup process. Since I did not uninstall the Oculus, it did not touch it and I did not loose my apps in Oculus library. Gear VR is working perfectly again without any losses and the Oculus app is up to date as well. I thought that might help you if you still struggling.
    Great news!
  • FensFens Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    I tried the above, still no joy. I have also tried uninstalling every Oculus and Gear Vr app, then the next time I plug the phone in to the Gear VR it installs all of the Oculus and Gear Vr software then nothing, it refuses to run the Oculus app again or recognise that the Gear VR is plugged in.

Model: SM-G930FD (dual sim version)
    Carier: Unbranded on Three UK
    Build Number: MMB29K.G930FXXU1APF2
    Android 6.0.1 running the latest1 June 2016 Security Update patch.
  • Robert324Robert324 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited July 2016
    I am having the same problem on my s7 but my sister has the same phone and hers is just fine. I have tride unistalling the apps and then tryed it it just reinstall them and stoped working after that. I just want some one to fix the problem
  • ValkyriePilotValkyriePilot Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Similar problems on S7 Edge. Hadn't used mine for a week. It updated and when I reconnected it did the whole reinstall like it was new. No big deal there but there's jumping and lagging in motion tracking off-app. It runs hot on apps that never ran hot. Loses bluetooth support in-game and onboard controls disappear shortly after that.

Glad it was free. Wish I hadn't bought software for it. Not going to be their glitchy beta tester. It's bad enough doing it for Windows 10. Not having my expensive phone bricked by poorly tested software.
  • jabjab Posts: 104
    Art3mis
    Sometimes out of the blue, when I send a sms I get a "Unfortunately the Oculus service has stopped" message, which frankly is creepy has hell and makes me seriously consider if the GearVR should be on my phone at all.
  • schmeltzerschmeltzer Posts: 297
    Art3mis
    edited July 2016
    Same problem here with My Note4 Version.

Model SM-N910F.

Android 6.0.1
  • wrecagnowrecagno Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Same problem here with Samsung 7!!Its ironical that the manufacturers don't even try to patch this up!!Used the Oculus Gear for two weeks and now this!!Its easy to take the money and not offer a solution!!!
  • wrecagnowrecagno Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Have found a solution for those who have a Wi-Fi connection at home. Remove your SIM card and download OCULUS....presto!!! It works!!!!Nothing else, nothing more!!!
    Sorry for the delay. I asked about this but did not find a solution. Thanks for following up with a work-around @wrecagno
  • WintonphotosWintonphotos Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am having the same issue (Galaxy S6, was all working fine till the last update and now I can't connect.
    I have uninstalled the apps, tried a factory reset, removed sim.

After a week of no luck I am getting very frustrated as I need the Gear VR for work
  • manueljmanuelj Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I've found the solution for me enabling Facebook app again. It's mandatory, try deleting all relative software intalled on S7 (including App for switch between cardboar and gear vr). 
  • NorthoversNorthovers Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Frustration to the max.  Same thing here.  But with my S7.  The phone won't recognise the Gear VR at all like above post.  I have never had the phone recognise the Gear VR.  The Gear VR worked fine on my last phone a Note 5 but since upgrading to the S7 it won't do anything when plugged in. In application manager I have Gear VR service, Shell and setup wizard but obviously they are't being triggered to work.  I have tired a factory reset with no changes.  I read in another post somewhere how to install or sideload the Oculus software which i did successfully but made no difference, still would do absolutely nothing.  I have a support ticket in with Samsung but haven't heard back since it has been escalated (will report back when I do).  Interestingly I tried my friends S7 Edge and it also wouldn't recognise it but in the shop my Gear VR worked with the shop phone.  So it definitely points to the phone and not the Gear VR....

Model: SM-G930FD (dual sim version)
    Carrier: Unbranded unlocked imported from Asia
    Build Number: MMB29K.G930FXXS1APGC
    Android 6.0.1 running the latest1 JuLY 2016 Security Update patch.

Interestingly enough in the about device section of settings it says 'United Arab Emirates'  Not sure what this is about??

I am very keen to rectify this is anyone has found a solution

Regards Richard
  • leahdaxleahdax Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    Do any of you have Cardboard Enabler for Gear VR? If so, check and make sure it's set to enable Gear VR. Otherwise Gear VR won't work.
  • koko666koko666 Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Same thing here My new S7 won't detect Gear VR after update.  

I tried the above NOTHING WORK

Model: SM-G930F

Build Number: MMB29K.G930FXXU1BPH6
    Android 6.0.1 running 1 AUG 2016 Security Update patch.
  • kaiwen82kaiwen82 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Probably a bit late, but I has exactly the same problem on my S7 Edge.

For me, putting the phone into Airplane mode before plugging the phone into the Gear solved the problem.

• heynewtheynewt Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    Man, this just happened to me.  Got a Galaxy S7 Edge, and I've been using my Gear VR for a couple of weeks since I bought it with no problems at all.  Saw the Galaxy go through an automatic update yesterday, and now the GearVR isn't recognized when I plug in the S7 Edge.

1. Tried above techniques.  Uninstalled all my Oculus Apps, but plugging in the GearVR didn't prompt me to reinstall them.  Of course you can't find them on the Play Store.
    2. Tried going into Airplane mode, but that didn't help.

Hate the thought that I've got a bricked GearVR now.  Anyone have a permanent solution?  And should we contact Oculus or Samsung?
  • mikehodsonmikehodson Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Same problem. Tried factory reset. Didn't work. Airplane mode. Didn't work. Nothing works. It is a brick.

Model number SM-G920V
    Android Version 5.1.1
  • TraulqTraulq Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same problem, earlier today all was working just fine - now inserting the phone will not trigger VR mode. No apparent reason at all!

So many people having the same problem and yet no help or support from Oculus/Samsung :(
  • iburntmytoastiburntmytoast Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Everyone, I think I've figured out your issue. I was also having the same issue and I wasn't going to give up. I spent a couple days researching and found nothing. It wasn't until I went to download and app that was not in the play store that I figured it out. If you're on an Android go into settings, under security make sure you tun on Unknown Sources. The app is not in the app store so if you do not have this enabled you cannot download Oculus Home. As soon as I allowed unknown sources it worked immediately. Hope this helps.