New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

HMD Storage!

MermodenMermoden Posts: 15
NerveGear
Finally got a head to store my Rift on, just need a wide brimmed hat to stop the dust settling B) 

Comments

• FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    Be careful with that! (Sorry hate to be a buzz kill!)

If your rift is plugged in it will set the proximity sensor off and cause your screen to 'burn it'

Also it could also wear out your foam and straps with the constant tension putting forced on it all.
  • Cance11ationCance11ation Posts: 498
    Nexus 6
    That is so adorable.
    Check out my twitch [twitch.tv/BATTLE_net]
    Nexus 6
    Where did you get it from?
  • MermodenMermoden Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    FrozenPea said:

If your rift is plugged in it will set the proximity sensor off and cause your screen to 'burn it'

Also it could also wear out your foam and straps with the constant tension putting forced on it all.
    I always unplug the Rift when not in use.  With the head being smaller than mine, here is no real tension.  
    It is just resting by the top strap.  I will keep on checking the foam for any indentation though, you have me slightly paranoid  :|

Galuz said:
    Where did you get it from?
    It is an Ebay purchase, I just searched for 'mannequin heads'. 
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    Mermoden said:
    FrozenPea said:

I always unplug the Rift when not in use.  With the head being smaller than mine, here is no real tension.  
    It is just resting by the top strap.  I will keep on checking the foam for any indentation though, you have me slightly paranoid  :|

haha sorry, just something to keep in mind then!
    I'm so paranoid about doing damage to my rift it all goes back in the box when I'm done :P
  • MermodenMermoden Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Forgot about the stickers  :#
  • tranceology3tranceology3 Posts: 804
    3Jane
    While it does look cool, I thought the Rift box was the best way to store the HMD - very high quality!
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 364
    Trinity
    You're going to wake up one day with that monster at the end of your bed.
    Nexus 6
    I can't seem to find the one you've purchased, could you provide me with a link.
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,237
    Wintermute
    Is there a way to turn off the rift sensor, so it doesn't turn on automatically? I would love to use a mannequin as a stand but I don't want to plug and unplug it.
    Nexus 6
    Yes didn't think of that, does it turn on? when you put it on the head.
  • usernameisalreadyinuusernameisalreadyinu Posts: 116
    Art3mis
    MowTin said:
    Is there a way to turn off the rift sensor, so it doesn't turn on automatically? I would love to use a mannequin as a stand but I don't want to plug and unplug it.
    Sure: detach the usb cable! (AKA not that I know of.)
    But if you want a different, a more permanent method: identify more or less the position of the sensor in reference to the mannequin forehead, than with an instrument of choice (I'd suggest drill, then a chisel/gouge of some sort, then a file/rasp for the edges). Won't be pretty, but I reckon it'd work out fine. A third eye, if you will. +1 Bonus points if you manage to make it look like oculus' logo (the older one is +2). :)
    Nexus 6
    I have my MANNEQUIN HEAD!!! WOOHOO.