New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Breach - a short survival horror game for the Rift

JeppeJeppe Posts: 34
edited January 2014 in Showcase
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
[DOWNLOAD HERE!] [Breach.rar, 183 MB]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Me and a couple of friends have developed a short survival horror game called Breach for the Oculus Rift as part of our Bachelor's Thesis. It's finally in beta and is (hopefully!) ready to be played and enjoyed :)

QjMaV7R.jpg

STORY
You slowly awake from your cryosleep, expecting the familiar view of Earth to be visible outside. But there's nothing but cold, dark, space out there... Something has triggered the ship's automatic wake-up system ahead of time. But where is the rest of the crew?

In Breach, you explore a spaceship infested with a mysterious entity. You will need to restore functionality to the ship and its engines to prevent disaster, but you will at the same time need to keep your guard up. You are not alone...

4p7Prxz.jpg

MEDIA

Here's a YouTube video showing gameplay from Breach.

The readme contains some useful info and can be found here.

DOWNLOAD LINKS

The installer is 187 MB and can be downloaded from these mirrors.

[Torrent]

[Mirror 1] (Dropbox, direct download)

[Mirror 2] (Google, direct download)

[Mirror 3]

Q3XUB6Z.jpg

We hope you will enjoy the game! :)

Comments

• MorbidDonkeyMorbidDonkey Posts: 284
    Art3mis
    This looks like its going to be great...You wont catch me playing it however because I want to LIVE. :shock:
    -: MorbidDonkey :-
    ===================================
    LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1
  • regularslinkyregularslinky Posts: 148
    Brain Burst
    I played your game and loved it, but I have to tell you about something strange.

Me and some friends made a game almost exactly the same as yours for a college project. It even had the same name, and the alien looked almost identical. I shit you not.

This is the only screenshot I have of it on this computer.

eUgqopM.jpg

Loved the demo though. The downstairs hallways felt really claustrophobic and the atmosphere was spooky.
  • I honestly can not play this, and I mean that in a good way. It's 1:30 AM and the first time it "got me," I tore my rift off as fast as I could. The lighting and hallways are really successful in making you feel actual anxiety.

I'll try this one again once the sun comes up :shock:
  • you might need to change the name there's already a game called breach, although it got removed from steam for being a buggy piece of shit
  • idrsidrs Posts: 16
    I played it now (only a bit, because its night and i am alone), and its great! The suspense, lightling and scenario scares the shit out of me :O

For Horror there is definitely mutch potential on the oculus.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    This had me screaming and ripping the Rift off my face.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MorbidDonkeyMorbidDonkey Posts: 284
    Art3mis
    This had me screaming and ripping the Rift off my face.

yep, screw this game. :shock:
    -: MorbidDonkey :-
    ===================================
    LOGISTICS - Oculus Prototype 1
  • robjl86robjl86 Posts: 1
    Great! Love the claustrophobic feeling of the hallways, wish there were environmental sounds of the ship to create more of an atmosphere but the visuals are working excellent. The doors actually made me jump when they opened in the dark and reveal the cryo chamber room. Having more stuff in the environment that makes you jump and keep you on your toes would add to the suspense.
  • JeppeJeppe Posts: 34
    Thanks for all the comments and feedback, I'm glad to hear we managed to scare you guys! :)

regularslinky: Wow, that's quite a coincidence! It's like it's haunted... Did your team also get these weird dreams and visions after the development of your Breach? ;) Your game looks great (getting some Penumbra-vibes from the screenshot), is it available for download anywhere?
  • regularslinkyregularslinky Posts: 148
    Brain Burst
    Jeppe wrote:
    regularslinky: Wow, that's quite a coincidence! It's like it's haunted... Did your team also get these weird dreams and visions after the development of your Breach? ;) Your game looks great (getting some Penumbra-vibes from the screenshot), is it available for download anywhere?

lol now that you mention it I have been getting nightmares, and strange messages written in blood on my bedroom walls...

Thanks :) I've been meaning to polish it up a bit and release it as a rift demo at some point. It's a bit rough around the edges at the moment, not half as good as yours :E. As soon as I get round to doing that I'll post it here (under a new name :P). You'll be onto Breach 2 by then lol.
  • I have a question - as the developer, do you get scared playing your own game? Or does the act of coding, seeing the 3D models, knowing what's coming, etc... give you a certain tolerance?
  • MatiasPMatiasP Posts: 12
    Dysheekie wrote:
    I have a question - as the developer, do you get scared playing your own game? Or does the act of coding, seeing the 3D models, knowing what's coming, etc... give you a certain tolerance?

Interesting question.

Can someone be scared with his own creation?
  • dghostdghost Posts: 165
    Brain Burst
    I managed to last for about 5 minutes before the atmosphere alone got to me.

Gw6zf.gif
    Current Quake II VR stable release: 1.3.1
    DK2 support: see this post
  • VRoomVRoom Posts: 596
    As in The Gallery, when I look around in Breach, the world seems to skew (deform) a bit on the edges, like looking through a magnifying glass. I'm not sure what is the problem, but it might be the wrong IPD... Is there some config tool, to set IPD?
    Dysheekie: Definitely! Screams were heard from the dev team on multiple occasions ;) Since the "scary element" patrols the ship one can never now when it will show up, and this kept even the dev team on edge when playing.

VRoom: That sounds strange... you could try to increase the FOV manually and see if that helps with the problem. To set FOV, open up the game, press TAB and enter:

FOV 105

... or any other FOV value that you wish.
  • RavenRaven Posts: 90 Oculus Partner
    Any chance of a Mac build?
    Thank for the help Jeppe. Sadly the FOV thing didn't do anything. I couldn't see any changes, when I applied different FOVs...

I just got some VR legs now, so I was able to play it anyway. This was my first horror game in the Rift, so when the thing got me the first time it sent shivers down my spine. Literary! Never felt anything like that in a computer game (or movie). The closes thing was playing Silent Hill 2 on PS2 all those years ago. I got pretty used to horror games since then, so they don't scare me much anymore. This however... :shock:

I really like the environment, especially narrow claustrophobic corridors. I did wish however, there would be more variety and more stuff to look at. That's the thing I enjoy in VR the most.
    Anyway, great work!
  • RambowjoRambowjo Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    VRoom wrote:
    As in The Gallery, when I look around in Breach, the world seems to skew (deform) a bit on the edges, like looking through a magnifying glass. I'm not sure what is the problem, but it might be the wrong IPD... Is there some config tool, to set IPD?
    Seems that his is caused by incorrect resolution, something that is typical with UDK demos, since there isn't really any simple way to set up resolution. Go into Breach/UDKGame/Config and open "DefaultSystemSettings.ini" in notepad, find the lines
    ResX=1280
    ResY=720

And set them to your desired resolution, preferably something that is 16:10. I use 1920x1200.

Played this game a little bit, loving how much actual spaceship you've built. A lot of demos seem to just have a room or two and some silly mechanic.

That said, the layout is not very Rift friendly, since you're constantly taking 90° turns. That combined with the high movement speed, I just ended up holding my head completely still and relying on my mouse to look around.

The scares were awesome, perhaps a little loud. What I'd love to see is some kind of aggro mechanic, where the monster and the player both become aware of each other roughly at the same time, and then the chase begins, with the player only being a little bit faster than the monster. Add in some mechanic where doors will jam every now and then, and you've got a gold game!
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    Just tried it. Changing DefaultSystemSettings.ini settings as Rambowjo suggested does help a lot. It's quite dark so at first I didn't notice there are places to explore other than first room that you enter.

I like the atmosphere, and the scares :D Hope to see more.
    Thank you Rambowjo! Will try it out :)
  • would love to try this on the mac!
  • +1 for a mac version
    I'll look into a mac build and let you know in the beginning of the coming week! :) Thanks a lot for the great feedback everyone.

Rambowjo: Big thanks for the advice! We'll make sure the resolution is set to 1280x800 in the next version. Also, thanks for the other feedback - much appreciated!
    By the way, Breach was featured in the PA Report today! Here's what they have to say:

"My first experience with an Oculus Rift horror game came from the short survival horror demo called Breach. I downloaded it from a link someone had sent me, and only glanced at the description. This proved to be a mistake.

The issue is that I thought I was just exploring an interesting, System Shock-style derelict space ship. There were areas where you use a flashlight, and the whole thing was kind of creepy, but I thought they were just going for a basic Event Horizon vibe. I was having a good time exploring the ship, looking out the windows, trying to figure out if there was a point to all this, and then I turned and…

I shrieked. There is no nice way to put this. I screamed and nearly fell out of my chair. You see, there is a creature who is actively stalking you through the ship, and I thought the static noise was just some effect. When the thing finally jumped out at me I didn’t have a single guard up. I wasn’t clenched. Every single one of my fight or flight instincts kicked in and it took some time to calm myself down.

It wasn’t fun. I didn’t have a good time. This was actual fear. "

A number of awesome Let's Play-style videos have also been posted on YouTube. Check them out!

breach - Well, i'm done! [Oculus rift + horror] by Dexxoz gaming for a smile!

Breach - On The Oculus Rift! - Sci-fi Horror by T Hodder

Oculus Rift: Breach (With The Scientist) by TheMadScientistRael

Oculus Rift: Breach (With Korey) by TheMadScientistRael
  • RambowjoRambowjo Posts: 62
    Hiro Protagonist
    I don't know much about the UDK, but if you could implement some kind of graphics settings solution, if not just resolution settings, I think that would greatly improve user friendliness. Downscaling from a higher resolution gets you better results, with less jumpy pixels.
  • AdamsImmersiveAdamsImmersive Posts: 166
    Hiro Protagonist
    Jeppe wrote:
    I'll look into a mac build and let you know in the beginning of the coming week! :)

Great! Thanks for considering it.

I wasn't even sure whether UE3/UDK support came to Mac as planned or not, but I see that it did.

I'll watch those videos AFTER I go in spoiler-free.
    Morgan
    Mac OS XUnity
  • Hello, you already know that I played your game but I wanted to make an official post congratulating you. What an amazing - and SCARY - game it is! Thank you and keep up the great work!
  • I seriously cannot play this game. I want to - but I can't! I tried it a few times and really dig the design and atmosphere, but as soon as I encounter the static noise or see something move during exploration, I just rip the Rift of my face and quit. These horror games are just too intense in VR.

I guess for sissies like me there'd have to be some sort of safe heaven. If there was any place I could retreat to and feel safe for a few moments, that might be enough to make it more enjoyable. Anyhow, awesome work - unfortunatelly a bit too scary for me... :cry:
    markkane wrote:
    I seriously cannot play this game. I want to - but I can't! I tried it a few times and really dig the design and atmosphere, but as soon as I encounter the static noise or see something move during exploration, I just rip the Rift of my face and quit. These horror games are just too intense in VR.

I guess for sissies like me there'd have to be some sort of safe heaven. If there was any place I could retreat to and feel safe for a few moments, that might be enough to make it more enjoyable. Anyhow, awesome work - unfortunatelly a bit too scary for me... :cry:
    My thoughts exactly. I saw&play so many horror movies and games (my favorite being Silent Hill 2) that I thought I'm pretty much immune to scary tricks. But I honestly can't bring myself to play horror games with the Rift. It's so intense, that the experience becomes seriously unpleasant. Breach is great, but I really had to force myself to play it. I think designers will have to figure out how to make things scary without making you have a heart-attack :) The thing is, atmosphere alone can be enough to give you goosebumps. Short game School Simulation 4 is a great example of how to make the game scary, but still enjoyable.
  • GanjaroachGanjaroach Posts: 449
    Hiro Protagonist

Pretty scary horror game, first time I seen the monster it was scary as shit! I had no idea what I was suppose to do and kept getting, lost a map or something would be nice. I'm taking it you eject the monster out the cargo bay I had all ready switched the cargo bay on before I turned on power. I did really like it tho the effect when he was close to you really helped to make it scary. Hopefully you plan on adding more and thanks for sharing.