New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to Drastically Boost Oculus Rift Image

ennogsennogs Posts: 230
Art3mis

Comments

• dreimer1986dreimer1986 Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    This is the same like HDR. Render the game way higher res and then scale back by a filter. Makes some stuff look better indeed, but for a terrible speed decrease as price. Some games have that setting in their menus btw.
  • gamefan101gamefan101 Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    FYI. I have found a Pixel Density of 1.2 improves the picture significantly, but without much fps hit. Elite dangerous has a supersampling setting, but it is different and less efficient than using the Oculus driver setting.
  • stackersstackers Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited June 2016
    FYI. I have found a Pixel Density of 1.2 improves the picture significantly, but without much fps hit. Elite dangerous has a supersampling setting, but it is different and less efficient than using the Oculus driver setting.
    I tried this last night but set it to a density of 1.5, without a doubt the picture was significantly improved in Eve Valkyrie and Elite Dangerous, much more so than having SS set to 1.5. However, after about 15 minutes in the SRV in ED i started to feel nauseous, got it real bad, never had that before. So I'll need to try 1.2 tonight to see if that helps.

I launched Elite from the Oculus Driver App, did I need to do it that way or does it work straight from the Elite launcher?

BTW 1st post! :smile: 
  • gamefan101gamefan101 Posts: 194
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    So long as you ...  Load the oculus home, then load the SDKtool, then just load ED from the Elite launcher, it should work fine.  I use 1.2 , VRHigh with SMAA.  I get 90fps in stations, with 80% GPU load.
  • sbushman18sbushman18 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    Wow.  Did not expect this to work that well, but LOST is a blurry low res mess and this changed it quite a bit.  unfortunately even my overclocked 1080 got some choppiness when the big robot arrived so I guess there is a sweet spot which I exceeded.  It does show there is some room for image quality improvement even with the current screen res.  That's pretty good news, since GPUs will only get stronger.  I'd love to see the much rumored 1 GPU per eye thing so I can make use of two GPUs.  Sucks to be stuck on just one.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    And here I thought you guys with your far-above-recommended-spec PCs were just wasting money. :blush:

Hmm. I wonder how much I can push these settings on my R9 290X without performance loss?   Might have to try it with Subnautica..
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • sbushman18sbushman18 Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    CrashFu said:
    And here I thought you guys with your far-above-recommended-spec PCs were just wasting money. :blush:

Hmm. I wonder how much I can push these settings on my R9 290X without performance loss?   Might have to try it with Subnautica..
    If a 1080 sweats I'm not sure the 290X is going to get very far.  That said, at least there's some hope that image quality can still improve before new hardware gets released.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,195 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    hi

what gpu do you have?
    I have a GTX980 so above oculus rift spec but right on the ED minimum reccomended spec for vr.
    taa
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • deanogurdeanogur Posts: 456
    Nexus 6
    VR is 7x more demanding than 1080p so, few PC's have the power to run VR well at high settings. Multi-projection support can close that gap with the 10-series from Nvidia but, there is still a log way to go to see significant improvements in VR image quality.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,383 Valuable Player
    It's hard for me to believe that this boost to Graphics is as good as people are making it sound. I'm not doubting that it works but at what expense. I think if it was that good when Oculus worked on this for 5 years why wouldn't they make this happen out of the box? I could be wrong because I'm not a tech person but the question is what suffers when you do this and why if it's that good doesn't Oculus do it out of the box?
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    inovator said:
    It's hard for me to believe that this boost to Graphics is as good as people are making it sound. I'm not doubting that it works but at what expense. I think if it was that good when Oculus worked on this for 5 years why wouldn't they make this happen out of the box? I could be wrong because I'm not a tech person but the question is what suffers when you do this and why if it's that good doesn't Oculus do it out of the box?
    I believe because they wanted things to work acceptably on a higher number of rigs.  There is a performance cost to upping this setting, so different individuals' mileage may vary, but if you have a very high-end rig, you can tweak a bit more out of it with this.
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    Yeah, it's all about Oculus' focus on making the Rift and its' platform accessible and simple to use for the average person, and having everything set up to give a high-quality experience out-of-box on a recommended-spec PC (just not the highEST quality)  Keep in mind, a lot of people already get major sticker shock when they find out they need a $1000 PC to use the Rift on these recommended specs..  If it was common knowledge that you CAN get better graphics than the default with like a $2000 PC, people would read that as "You NEED $2600 to get full use out of the Rift".

It would be cool if they did something like.. hide a "pixel density override" switch on an advanced menu of Oculus Home somewhere, so you 1080 owners can just crank it to 11 and have everything you play automatically look its best...  but you wouldn't want more casual users stumbling on to these options and trying to maximize everything with their GTX970 and then getting mad at the product (or Oculus) when everything suddenly runs like crap.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,853 Valuable Player
    Trust me. There are a few people around here that will too sadly =/
  • WihglahWihglah Posts: 51
    Hiro Protagonist
    It works. My 980ti copes no problem at 1.5 even when docked, and it looks tonnes better. If only Oculus would enable a less janky implementation. 
    Nexus 6
    It's also something that game-developers can implement on their end if desired.
  • vfrhawkvfrhawk Posts: 82
    Hiro Protagonist
    Does this work with non Oculus Home games?  I'd like to see what it can do for P3D...
    Nexus 6
    vfrhawk said:
    Does this work with non Oculus Home games?  I'd like to see what it can do for P3D...
    Absolutely, just run the SDK debug tool, set the pixels above the default, maybe as high as 2.0 if your hardware is robust enough (1.5 is a good compromise). You don't have to do anything further (no tool launch), just leave the tool open when you run the game or close it if you experience any judder and it should maintain the pixel setting for that session.
  • KennyJenningsKennyJennings Posts: 72
    Hiro Protagonist
    I'm using a pretty much min specs PC (i5-4690K CPU, GTX 970, 8 GB of RAM), and I haven't gotten my rift yet. Would I be correct in assuming that any increase in pixel density would be too much to maintain 90 FPS for most games?
  • MichaelJWP15MichaelJWP15 Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    I have pretty much the same spec as you KennyJennings, and I would say, as ever, it depends. I play DCS and setting the density to at least 1.5 is mandatory so that you can read the cockpit gauges. Framerate is 45 though as a result. Not ideal and I'll probably upgrade to 10-series later in the summer.
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    I run a SLI 980TI setup... but with VR only one card runs anyway.  I have mine OC to 1465mhz and for most games it can only do about 1.4-1.5.  Some demo I can push it up to 1.7... but anything further just frame drops

I really wish they can implement VR SLI....
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    mbze430 said:
    I run a SLI 980TI setup... but with VR only one card runs anyway.  I have mine OC to 1465mhz and for most games it can only do about 1.4-1.5.  Some demo I can push it up to 1.7... but anything further just frame drops

I really wish they can implement VR SLI....
    Maybe sell them both, buy a 1080 and go for a night out with what's left?  ;)
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    naaaahhhh I also ran SLI since the 90s with Voodoos.  I will ALWAYS and FOREVER use SLI.  But no, 1080 is still isn't powerful enough for me to enjoy Pcars... *MAYBE* the 1080TI *MAYBE* but I will go SLI with the 1080TI as well.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,324
    Wintermute
    Maybe when developers/game engines start using SMP, there'll be a big step up in VR performance for single card setups?