Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Quake II [DK2 Beta w/ 0.4.1]

dghost
Honored Guest
Update: for info on DK2 support, see this post

Update 2: for info on SDK 0.4.1 support, see this post

Original:
Inspired by the work that phoboslab and swax did on the Quake port, I put together a release of Quake II with native support for the Oculus Rift. Right now it's Windows only, but it may get a Linux release too at some point in the future.

You need the .pak files from the full game to play, but downloads + instructions can be found on the GitHub page: https://github.com/q2vr/Quake2VR

And yes, the Railgun is still as glorious as ever:
Current Quake II VR stable release: 1.3.1 DK2 support: see this post
231 REPLIES 231

Dysheekie
Explorer
Excellent -- I'll be checking this out as soon as I get my rift. I sank many hours into this game my freshman year of college.

AndyX
Honored Guest
This is absolutely amazing...

As a base I used the Quake II installation from Steam, copied over the Base-Quake2-Rift Package and the high-res textures and ran the kmquake2.exe. The Rift was recognized instantly - I did however change the video resolution to match my desktop (1920x1200) because I think it improved the overall picture quality while using the Rift.
It's just as simple as that. And that - at least for me - is a huge deal, because last week I spent the better part of my friday night getting F1 2010 to run with Vireio-Drivers. Out-Of-The-Box support like this (just copy it over and start the game) is excellent.

The handling with the gun being detached from the head movements is just... perfect.

Something I will tweak a little bit is the FOV - I think it might be a bit too narrow right now, but I am sure this is just personal preference.

Personal note: I bought and played Quake II when it came out in 1997 and the game was really important to me. It ran on the first PC I ever bought and put together myself and therefore has a special place in my heart. Revisiting it again is like being reunited with a long lost friend.

Thank you.

Edit: Just ran around "The Edge" only to look at things. It's quite impressive. 🙂 And I changed the FOV to 110 which, at least to me, looks better. The FOV setting can be found at quake2\baseq2\config.cfg then search for "fov".

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
Absolutely fantastic 🙂 I think my ability for finding secret areas has diminished somewhat over the past 15-16 years though!

I think I've still got my original sat in the loft somewhere - I'll have to go and dig it out to get the music going. Will it play from the disc, or will I have to rip it to .ogg?
Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

AndyX
Honored Guest
I had to try that one when I saw you mentioning it.

Yes, it works. 🙂

I popped in the original game disc, started kmquake2.exe and played the first three levels - works beautifully.
And I have an addition to make to my earlier post: the vertical combat especially in levels two and three is amazing in the Rift.

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
"AndyX" wrote:
I had to try that one when I saw you mentioning it.

Yes, it works. 🙂

I popped in the original game disc, started kmquake2.exe and played the first three levels - works beautifully.
And I have an addition to make to my earlier post: the vertical combat especially in levels two and three is amazing in the Rift.

Excellent! Into the loft I go!

<edit> Mission accomplished, and I found a couple of bonus titles too. I'm good to go if the 3rd one gets sorted as well 😉

Co-host of Recentered - A VR Podcast, available on all normal podcast streaming services.

dghost
Honored Guest
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad it's working well for everyone!

As you've already discovered, it does still support the cd audio if you have a game disc. If you don't, you'll need to find a copy of the .ogg files from somewhere. I really wish I could release a fully standalone version (I can't even release a "demo" version as it uses a custom game .dll), but am not going to for various legal reasons. That said, if you look around there appears to be at least one community supported patch for the steam version that you can extract the music from.
Current Quake II VR stable release: 1.3.1 DK2 support: see this post

Fluke
Heroic Explorer
"dghost" wrote:
Thank you for the kind words! I'm glad it's working well for everyone!

Thanks for taking the time to do it 🙂 As AndyX said, it great that it just works with no messing about. I've just ripped the music from the disc for the sake of convenience anyway, and again, it just works.

MrGeddings
Explorer
oooh didnt know this was out yet i know someone else was working on quake 2 intigration. very fun

honestly i think old school games like this would be perfect for the rift, lots of cool mods and maps you can use with it and all!

edit: OOOH this is the KMQuake2 port nice! that is a nice shiney graphics engine they have with that, be nice to try it! and the package with the game/textures bundle is cool too thanks! now if only they can get quake1 to work with one of the more advanced graphcs ports thatd rock!

XeviaN
Honored Guest
😮
I love you.

Waiting for Q3A and Q4 :mrgreen:

P.S.: Need to find a solution for rocketjumping without braking my neck 😉
XeviaN STUDIO EVIL