cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

480nm Studio – 3D Content Creation – Alpha (Oculus CV1)

alex480
Honored Guest

Hello,

480nm Studio is a 3D modeling and animation software suite
that is still under development. Our goal is to create a professional tool for
non-professionals, an alternative to the more complex and expensive content
creation tools that are out there. We believe that advanced skills and
expensive software should not be needed when creating new or combining your
existing models, animating them, and finally seeing the content on your computer
or Oculus Rift.

480nm is currently in the Alpha stage, which means that it
is not yet completed or as stable as we would like it to be. But in order to
create the ideal product that everyone could enjoy, we need your feedback. We
are looking for dedicated and brave individuals to help us. The software is
completely free, and gives you an early opportunity to experience all that
480nm Studio has to offer.

Available at:

http://www.480nm.com/ 

Note for Oculus: 

The tool is a regular "Desktop" app rather than a pure Oculus experience. That said, Oculus is automatically supported as one of the "virtual" cameras allowing instant preview of the content on the device. 

To create an "Oculus" viewport create a new Oculus Camera in "Create -> Cameras - > Camera (Oculus)". As always the "Health and Safety Warning" needs to be acknowledged first before the content would show up.

Some images:

wzlxfhnca6sk.png

1onbgcxr6uu4.png51itato5pf3l.pngt68r6s7jnghu.png4vg3qh0x2c6h.pngo1zo4x0ovpps.png

4 REPLIES 4

aimsopp
Explorer
I will be downloading this when I get home from work today! This looks pretty nifty. I'm really new to 3d animation and game content design so i'll try and give you guys some feed back about how it feels to someone that really doesn't know much about this stuff.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
How is this for total noobs to try ? Is it a steep learning curve ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

alex480
Honored Guest
The learning curve should not be too bad, but it will certainly take some time. Part of the goal for the Alpha is to see what works and what does not, even for the newest of users (which is our target audience, as it is hard to compete for professionals using Max, Maya, C4D, and so on). So if it is too hard let me know as well. Working on tutorials takes a lot of time, and with so many changes at this point we would have to redo them too often to keep up to date.  

The software is based on Beyond3D - a commercial laser show software I created and work on. It has been completely rewritten as 480nm Studio without any of the laser features, but with much improved 3D viewport and other features. The older B3D tutorials might be of of help as most of the features are the same (ignore the laser specific parts - please visit "youtu.be/eP4ukxXDobY?t=46". 

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Thank you for the detailed and informative reply 😉 OK I'm sold and will download it and give it a go !!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.