New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus @ E3 2016!

Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
edited June 2016 in General
Hi all!

Wanted to share a few images from the show floor of various demos for Rift, Touch, and Gear VR! If you missed the announcements from Monday, make sure to check them out here

We'll keep the livestream going today and tomorrow! Look for a closing message from Palmer at 4:30 PM PT on our Facebook page. :)

If you're here at E3, make sure to come by and check out the booth and demos.

Gypsy
Oculus Community Manager - kweh!

Comments

• DinasityDinasity Posts: 68
    Hiro Protagonist
    I wish I was there...  :s
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    so awesome, now I really want Touch, I need to try not get so hyped up as it's still far away!

Good to see Palmer again, wish he still interacted with the community but of course a very vocal minority ruined that for the rest of us :( 

@Gypsy816  maybe you can convince Palmer to join the oculus forums :D
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,223 Valuable Player
    That's possibly the million dollar question. Why doesn't Palmer post on the official Oculus Forums? It can't be about reach because obviously if anything is posted here it will filter out to other publications.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,569 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    Posting on your own Official Forum isn't really something that is done; instead these leaders post on forums that have a sort of "elitists only" type of environment. This is a trend that started with Blizzard in the 1990's, back when the developers posted on a forum called, "Odgens Tavern." They rarely, if ever, said anything on their own Blizzard forums. I'm sure the trend could have started prior, but that's the most famous that I can recall.

Nowadays the "Something Awful" forums are the place to be to interact with developers and owners. Like Josh Sawyer from Pillars of Eternity. He was very active in his games Megathread on SA. He's probably still talking on the SA Forums since his game released its final expansion a few short months ago.

It would be nice if Palmer would break the trend, just not on this forum. Maybe if we ever get a private forum, for Rift owners, then Palmer and other decision makers will be more active with the community.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Yes, Reddit could be viewed as an "elitists only" type of environment.  :D

I think nowadays for these individuals, and let's not forget, that's all they are. Posting public comments has to feel relatively safe and not an opening for being lambasted.  There's needs to be comfort drawn from a shared  mutual respect from the readers and I guess you can never really tell what someone is going to say, when many hide behind their keyboards and throw respect and courtesy out the window because they can. So, maybe it's just wishful thinking, but I see nothing wrong in making a quick post and leaving it at that rather than engaging in fruitless discussion which as you know leads to the darkside and draws out the worst in people who feel they can be unjustly rude. I wonder if he will post on Reddit again.

I think it's less about safety - sharp tongues haven't prevented him from tweeting - and more about feeling special. And I don't consider reddit one of those elitist type places; I see it as a community where people who have been perma-banned from elitists forums end up lol
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,142 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    Palmer did occasionally post here in the past. His account still exists as @palmertech but he hasn't been around in ages (he has no badges, which means he hasn't signed in since the forum update).

It looks like his last post here was December 2014, and his last sign-in was September 2015.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    My Oculus Medium sketchbook thread, and my Oculus Medium Gallery
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    Assuming of course he doesn't have a throwaway account...
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • Gypsy816Gypsy816 Posts: 513
    Definitely good feedback, thanks for sharing! We want more Oculus folks on the forums and you should see more and more interacting now that we have a new platform. :)
    Oculus Community Manager - kweh!
  • danknugzdanknugz Posts: 1,987
    3Jane
    How come no release date for touch was announced?
    A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
    Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
    A: Top-posting.
    Q: What is the most annoying thing on forums?
    danknugz said:
    How come no release date for touch was announced?
    I suspect it's because the release is still several months away, so announcing that date would only serve to upset people. You can be sure that if it was close we'd have heard something. Instead, they focused on the positive--the games in development.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I think they want to do a quick release after announcing so they can say "its going to cost £XXX, you can pre-order it today and its coming out next month!"
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,402 Poster of the Week
    There are a number of possible factors I could see delaying Touch (or at least the announcement of its availability)

They could be waiting for games in the Touch line-up to be completed, since having all those games accessible on Day 1 is something they've been hyping up...

They could be waiting until more Rift pre-orderers have received their Rifts... (because a lot of people would take that as insult to injury if they pre-ordered and don't even have their Rift while some other guy has a Rift AND Touch)

They could be building up a healthy stock of Touch first, so there's no risk of repeating the Rift shipping delays...

Or they might be planning to do a Soft Launch to those of us with "reserved spots for Touch" from our Rift pre-order, and not announce a public availability until those spots are fulfilled (so as not to repeat the issue with people being able to buy Rifts from Best Buy or wherever while others are waiting on pre-orders).
    The next nerd to cry about "the resolution" of top-of-the-line VR devices will be permanently banned from using ALL standard-definition media.  And yes, that includes all pre-Switch Nintendo games. Especially Melee.
    Oculus Touch and supported games like, Unspoken, are schedule for release by the Holidays. So, sometime between right now and 6 months from right now  :#
  • ZoomieZoomie Posts: 1,777 Valuable Player
    What would someone call that period of time - July through December?
    I guess it would be the second of two parts, if one was to divide the year in twain.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C Clarke
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,085 Valuable Player
    That's possibly the million dollar question. Why doesn't Palmer post on the official Oculus Forums? It can't be about reach because obviously if anything is posted here it will filter out to other publications.

He has posted here in the past - and he occasionally posts under one of his aliases. But I think he rather posts within the special dev only component of this forum.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Well, I meant him posting here under the capacity of addressing the wider audience much like he has done on Reddit.

Well, I meant him posting here under the capacity of addressing the wider audience much like he has done on Reddit.

I think those days have gone @Shadowmask72 – OVR is looking at a new way to redress some of the mauling’s they have received via Reddit and also the ‘Palmer-Tweets’! Vague forum postings may not be the best approach for a company that is needing to redress its perceived image after the launch – and whatever fallout there will be to missing the H2 launch of TOUCH.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Gypsy816 said:
    We want more Oculus folks on the forums and you should see more and more interacting now that we have a new platform. :)
    We can all hope Kevin.

kevinw729 said:

Vague forum postings may not be the best approach for a company that is needing to redress its perceived image after the launch – and whatever fallout there will be to missing the H2 launch of TOUCH.
    C'mon now, they still have over 6 months before we can start bitching about that! If we start going on about all the ways we might get screwed over in the future, there'll be no end to it!
    nalex66 said:
    kevinw729 said:

C'mon now, they still have over 6 months before we can start bitching about that! If we start going on about all the ways we might get screwed over in the future, there'll be no end to it!

H2 ends in July! Will TOUCH be out before then?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited June 2016
    H2 starts in July, and runs until December 31. H2 = second half of the year.

You're maybe thinking of Q2 (second quarter of year, April 1 to June 30).
    Thanks - I was. So yes, lots of time for a release in that window.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    No worries. Half-years is a really odd time frame to use for a release window. When I heard it, I immediately figured that meant it would likely be Q4, but they didn't want to say that and piss people off, nor did they want to promise Q3 and end up missing the release window. 
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,254
    Wintermute
    i'm a little surprised that for the Touch, we haven't at least had a ballpark figure offered.  ;)