Warning: Be careful using ginger! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Warning: Be careful using ginger!

2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
Trinity
edited March 2015 in Off-Topic
I just discovered (the hard way) the very painful possible side-effect of ginger. :oops:

My doctor just said I have gallstones, and a gallstone probably got stuck in the tube leading from the gall bladder, which is why I had terrible abdominal pains for three weeks. (The pain is gone now, but I still have gall-stones).

Ginger is considered very suspect because it increases bile production. It's not unanimous that ginger is bad for gallstones, there is a minority that says it might be good for them, but it is definitely interferes with normal gallbladder operation in some way.

Remember, just because a drug is "natural", doesn't mean it doesn't have serious side effects, and doesn't mean it's not still a drug. Things that have an effect, usually have side-effects too.

BTW, my doctor had heard of the Oculus Rift and its kickstarter development kit. He keeps asking me about it. :)

Comments

• 360FOV360FOV Posts: 476
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited August 2013
    I don't understand how anyone can eat ginger. It is the worst tasting thing I ever tried except red cabbage. I would rather eat a serving of the Devils testicle dipped in hot sauce... that's how bad I think it is. :lol:

Edit: This isn't medical advice but there are tons of home remedies out there that claim to be able to dissolve Gull Stones. Google it, it may be able to help avoid any surgery if needed. I would give them a try if it was me. ;) What ever you do don't let them remove your Gull Bladder. They say that there are nearly 800,000 gallbladder removal surgeries performed annually in the U.S. at a cost exceeding $6 billion. In most cases I think it is just a scam to make quick cash. I don't believe their theories about unnecessary organs.
    “My ally is the Force. Life creates it, makes it grow. It’s energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we…not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you, me, the tree, the rock…everywhere!"
  • melat3mgmelat3mg Posts: 16
    NerveGear
    Candied ginger ain't so bad. And beer. I like beer...mmmm
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 775
    3Jane
    I was on the forums earlier this week thinking that there was a disappointing shortage of discussions about gallstones and the effects of culinary choices on gallbladder health. I'm glad that we finally have a thread dedicated to this subject.
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    Reading this as I drink my ginger ale...... gonna have to do some research now. :)

EDIT: Not finding anything about bile at http://examine.com/supplements/Ginger/
  • WalkyWalky Posts: 357
    Brain Burst
    drash wrote:
    Reading this as I drink my ginger ale...... gonna have to do some research now. :)

After you do your research on "Ginger Ale" you might start calling it just "Ale" :mrgreen:
  • PrelucidPrelucid Posts: 104
    edit: Hmmm, shouldn't this be in the off topic forum?

The first time I had a Gallstone attack was 9 years ago and at the time I was in college eating lots of jarred salmon and spaghetti as I wasn't used to cooking my own meals. It was triggered by a spontaneous pizza night and I was in the ER for 4 hours thinking I was having a heart attack.

The second time was actually last month. I was dieting and then one day I had wings and I had a really bad Gallstone attack in the middle of Molyjam (but after I got home 12 hours later, I still finished while on drugs hahaha). Had to go to the ER and get an ultrasound and everything. It was magnitudes worse than the first time it happened and there were actually TWO pains. One from a stone in the duct, and another from the gall bladder just panicking. They recommended surgery, but I was like "screw that". I figured I'll just eat properly and die if I was a big enough idiot to cut back on so much food and then spontaneously do something like eat chicken skin on buffalo wings or really fatty foods again.

At different levels of severity, Gallstone/Gallbladder attacks can be worse than pregnancy pains. After you have an attack that bad, you're pretty much limited from eating certain foods for life though. You can do a lot more damage to your body by being inconsistent in your eating habits. It's a lot more complicated than just having ginger or ginger tea.

For example if you don't eat very often (1 or 2 meals a day), and consume low amounts of cholesterol, which your body needs (in addition to an acid) to make bile in the first place, your body will compensate by creating its own cholesterol. You need some of that acid from apples too to prevent the stones from forming due to imbalance between the acid and cholesterol. Apple a day will keep the doctor away.

I'm no doctor, but I'd recommend if you're not eating several small meals a day, you should do it just to keep your metabolism up and keep your fat intake lower than 25g per day. Also just eat with a little more variety to make sure you're not missing anything. To think earlier this year I was interested in Soylent, but you know, there's a lot more to our health then just getting allegedly "everything the body needs". Chewing on foods, keeping your stomach full of stuff, regularly getting gas every now and then. There could be some benefit to it.
    Viktor: Yes, he was wrong. But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong... and priceless?
  • drashdrash Posts: 2,846
    Neo
    Prelucid wrote:
    To think earlier this year I was interested in Soylent, but you know, there's a lot more to our health then just getting allegedly "everything the body needs". Chewing on foods, keeping your stomach full of stuff, regularly getting gas every now and then. There could be some benefit to it.

Almost every time I go to the market these days I think "I wonder when Soylent is going to be a reality?" Real tired of this endless dance around what to eat for every meal of every day! You could still chew gum and keep your stomach half-full of Soylent right? :)
  • PrelucidPrelucid Posts: 104
    drash wrote:
    Almost every time I go to the market these days I think "I wonder when Soylent is going to be a reality?" Real tired of this endless dance around what to eat for every meal of every day! You could still chew gum and keep your stomach half-full of Soylent right? :)

Maybe, who knows. If you can stand eating cake batter every day. Rob Rhinehart claims that the type of flavour is endurable... I was definitely seriously interested in this, but since it was a long ways off, the fact that I live internationally, and the product being untested for the long term, I stepped back and thought about it.

Something worth noting is that the creator of Soylent intentionally left out cholesterol as he noted the body would create it itself... but the deficit of cholesterol in people's meals and automating of production I think can play a big role in gallstone attacks. Both times I had an attack I was suddenly eating a fatty meal (pizza/wings) after having been on low nutritional diet and not eating often at all each day.
    Viktor: Yes, he was wrong. But just as some things can be right and useless at the same time, can't something be wrong... and priceless?
  • McShanusMcShanus Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    2EyeGuy wrote:
    I just discovered (the hard way) the very painful possible side-effect of ginger. :oops:

My doctor just said I have gallstones, and a gallstone probably got stuck in the tube leading from the gall bladder, which is why I had terrible abdominal pains for three weeks. (The pain is gone now, but I still have gall-stones).

Ginger is considered very suspect because it increases bile production. It's not unanimous that ginger is bad for gallstones, there is a minority that says it might be good for them, but it is definitely interferes with normal gallbladder operation in some way.

Remember, just because a drug is "natural", doesn't mean it doesn't have serious side effects, and doesn't mean it's not still a drug. Things that have an effect, usually have side-effects too.

BTW, my doctor had heard of the Oculus Rift and its kickstarter development kit. He keeps asking me about it. :)
    It's large amounts of ginger that may increase bile production and cause problems for people with gallstones

Consider this; doses of up to 4 grams of ginger per day are considered safe

Random trivia: at very high doses, ginger can act as a blood thinner

SOURCE: The Texas Herbal Safety Website - Ginger Factsheet
    DK1--Order Date: August 09 -- Order#: 0659XX
    DK2--Order Date: July 30
    Order#: DK-028XXXX --- Location: Australia --- Status: Received---
  • candiedbugcandiedbug Posts: 326
    Actually ginger is a good way to PREVENT gallstones. The increased bile production prevents the stones from precipitating. However, if you already HAVE gallstones, ginger can prompt an attack.

If you don't like raw ginger, try ginger-honey crystals, amazon sells them in sachets, dissolved in chilled water they are super refreshing and strangely soothing. I'm stocking up for when my Rift arrives. Brand is called Prince of Peace, I think it comes from China.

P.S. If you have a soda-maker these crystals make an AMAZING ginger soda.
    P.P.S. Add cayenne pepper for an extra zing. Or some tabasco if you want to blow your lid off. :lol:
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,286 Volunteer Moderator
    Mmmmm, pickled ginger.

Soylent seems an inappropriate name if they want it taken seriously.
  • REDRUMREDRUM Posts: 24
    Ultimately it doesn't matter how radical of a diet change you make, unless you are fortunate enough to pass the stones the attacks will typically become more frequent over time, to the point where you will have to explore options. Changing your diet will sometimes help reduce the frequency of the attacks but the clock is ticking.

I held on to the point where an attack a week wasn't uncommon... as a result was almost sent to my grave as my pancreas became obstructed and was given a 50% chance of survival... don't make the same mistake :?
  • lgv212lgv212 Posts: 197
    Hiro Protagonist
    Just had my gall bladder removed a couple months ago...so ginger party at my house!!! :D
  • 2EyeGuy2EyeGuy Posts: 1,084
    Trinity
    Prelucid wrote:
    edit: Hmmm, shouldn't this be in the off topic forum?
    No. It's about treating the motion sickness that everyone who has an Oculus Rift gets and wants to treat. Ginger is the main treatment, but it may have some side effects that people aren't aware of. Some people (like me) may be taking a lot of ginger if they get a lot of motion sickness.
    DeadlyJoe wrote:
    I was on the forums earlier this week thinking that there was a disappointing shortage of discussions about gallstones and the effects of culinary choices on gallbladder health. I'm glad that we finally have a thread dedicated to this subject.
    It's not cullinary choice, it's motion-sickness treatment choice.
  • OculusOpticianOculusOptician Posts: 253
    Brain Burst
    candiedbug wrote:
    Actually ginger is a good way to PREVENT gallstones. The increased bile production prevents the stones from precipitating. However, if you already HAVE gallstones, ginger can prompt an attack.

If you don't like raw ginger, try ginger-honey crystals, amazon sells them in sachets, dissolved in chilled water they are super refreshing and strangely soothing. I'm stocking up for when my Rift arrives. Brand is called Prince of Peace, I think it comes from China.

P.P.S. Add cayenne pepper for an extra zing. Or some tabasco if you want to blow your lid off. :lol:

+1, going to have to try these crystals you mention.
  • candiedbugcandiedbug Posts: 326
    candiedbug wrote:

+1, going to have to try these crystals you mention.

Im also dyeing my crystals blue and calling them "Rhuludian Crystals" :ugeek:
  • Just in case it will be helpful for you guys.. I also went through the surgery on gallbladder. I should say that it really sucks. I can't change my situation anymore but I can help those who maybe can still avoid some complications. So here is a material which is, to my mind, worth reading.
    http://galdbladderhelp.com/what-do-case-gallbladder-pain-symptoms

If you have any questions on how I had experienced that, feel free to ask them!
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,499 Valuable Player
    Thanks for raising this point @2EyeGuy - sorry you had to learn the hard way!

We have always reported in discussions about Sim-Sickness to avoid where possible self medication beyond small dosages for simple and non recurring symptoms.

We have seen a number of Reddit postings and some occasional discussions here about ginger and "...how I got my VR legs" - or "...I have got over my VR nausea". This is not a simple solution or cure-all.

For every action there is a reaction - and the sudden buzz to use copious amounts of ginger to alleviate sim-sickness took on a very unhealthy approach (from some vested interests) - with many users unaware of the major side-effects that this can cause (gallstones just one of them!)

I would also recommend that you do not take high amounts of seasickness and travel sickness medications either, because of the own risks that these tablets and remedies carry in repeat dosage.

Remember this simple rule "Do not over medicate to alleviate!"
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    candiedbug wrote:

Interesting - just one question, what sim-sickness symptoms are you using this to alleviate? and how often do you have to use it @candiebug?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • SkelatorSkelator Posts: 383
    Mmmmmm Ginger Flavoured Gallstones my favorite nice and crunchy, a delicacy on eternia. >;{}
    Everything I do, is for the sake of evil. Almost>;{}
    Tianhe-2|1,375 TiB|12.4 PB|OS Kylin Linux|VR Input Marmalade Jars
    All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. ;)
  • saviorntsaviornt Posts: 1,951
    NerveGear
    kevinw729 wrote:
    Remember this simple rule "Do not over medicate to alleviate!"

This is a very un-american statement sir.. are you a communist?

This is actually only half-joking, the modern day thinking is to take medication for everything.. have side effects from some medication, take this to alleviate those symptoms ad-nauseum. Sure, some medication in certain situations is fine, but FFS, we're taking way too much these days, hence why all of these so-called "super-bugs" are becoming common.
    saviornt wrote:

This is actually only half-joking, the modern day thinking is to take medication for everything.. have side effects from some medication, take this to alleviate those symptoms ad-nauseum. Sure, some medication in certain situations is fine, but FFS, we're taking way too much these days, hence why all of these so-called "super-bugs" are becoming common.

A pleasure to communicate @saviornt - I await my transport and its nice to converse over the forum with a "human"!

As you are well aware about the anti-biotic problem that the race is experiencing, the over indulgence of narcotic usage is a problem. A factor why I am such a wet blanket over meds for just sim-sickness. Just because it makes you ill does not mean it can be cured!

Look guys - sim-sickness needs the same approach that adverse motion differentiation needed in the '60's (unless you have stock in FB) !
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **

Communists medicate with Vodka. Vashe zrodovye >;{}
    All my "POSTs" in this forum are fictitious. Any resemblance to real "FACTs", living or dead, is a miracle. ;)
    Skelator wrote:

In Russia, medicine medicates you!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
  • nightbane30nightbane30 Posts: 68
    Brain Burst
    Uh...what did this have to do with the Rift, again? :D
    Ordered: December 26, 2014
    Ready: December 29, 2014
    Processed:December 29, 2014
    SHIPPED:December 31, 2014
    ARRIVED: January 6, 2015
  • ThoemseThoemse Posts: 172
    Art3mis
    melat3mg wrote:
    Candied ginger ain't so bad. And beer. I like beer...mmmm
    A friend of mine offered my thai ginger candy a few weeks ago.

Took me ages to get absolutely dusgusting taste out of my mouth! :shock:
    kevinw729 wrote:
    Skelator wrote:

In Russia, medicine medicates you!
    Водка без пива - деньги на ветер
  • StBarbeBakerStBarbeBaker Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Using ginger as a compress is a good idea to dissolve those gall stones  
  • MikeFMikeF Posts: 601
    Neo
    well worth the 4 year old resurrection
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,090 Valuable Player
    360FOV said:
    I would rather eat a serving of the Devils testicle dipped in hot sauce

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane