cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I finally tried it. [updated]

Zoomie
Expert Trustee

I've owned my Rift for months now and I still haven't played EVE Valkyrie.
I have no idea why.  I played Eve Online and I'm loving Elite Dangeous.  I've loved space shooters ever since Christopher Blair.  (bonus points if you get the reference).  Now there's an expansion and I still haven't even loaded into the game.

I watched the gameplay demo trailer dozens of times during the lead-up to the Rift launch.  I'd still like to meet the person who captured that "In VR footage".  No one has a neck that turns that smooth.
I ❤️ Katee Sackhoff
I even installed and downloaded the game into Oculus Home.
Now it's just sitting there, taunting me.

I held off playing when I first got the code because I wanted Lucky's Tale and Eve to be my first experiences with the CV1.  My Rift arrived and I played Lucky's Tale.  For some reason I still haven't booted up EVE.

I think I'm worried I'll be disappointed like so many other people. 
I saw Shadowmask's thread today about gorgeous games in VR, and EVE is always mentioned as having superb graphics.  But no one raves about the game itself.

So what's your vote?  Do I finally pop my Valkyrie cherry or is this much ado about nothing? 

Does Carrier Assault add much to the game?  Let me know in the comments!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke
36 REPLIES 36

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I know I'm going to be lambasted for saying this but it's Elite D without all the boring bits.

*runs away.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.

It's funny but I'm in the same boat... just haven't tried it yet.

I'm thinking at has something to do with getting it free.. maybe we put value on something because we pay for it and that makes us more inclined to use it... dunno.

Having said that I've only recently started playing Fallout 4 after buying it on day 1. So I think I have too many games & not enough free time.

blanes
Rising Star
It looks very nice and there is definitely something to keep you coming back to it but for me the cockpit itself just lacks something to make you feel connected,  also the flight mechanics are very basic when you compare it to Elite. Still as a quick jump in shooter for some quick action style fun it does what it says.  It doesn't have the big wow factor that I was expecting after reading some reviews of it. You should just try it yourself though as you would easily have formed some impression in the time it took to make a poll !  😉

Percy1983
Superstar
I do like it, but not played much, kind of prefer games to have a start, middle and end.
Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 + 16GB RAM 1866mhz + i5-3570K at 4.5Ghz + Coolermaster Nepton 140XL cooler Sapphire 8GB RX 580 Nitro+ 256Gb SDD Samsung Evo 850 +3x2TB in raid 0 with 64GB SSD cache Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition + Toughpower 875w

nalex66
MVP
MVP
If it makes any difference, you can hop in in single-player mode and just fly around and explore the maps, or play against bots. I am slightly averse to jumping straight into multiplayer with an unfamiliar game, so this worked for me.

It also takes you through a tutorial at the start to learn to fly--you practice navigating in a little asteroid field and shoot at targets. You might as well fire it up and at least do that--you can get a look at the visuals and get a feel for the flight mechanics.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Zoomie
Expert Trustee
Thanks for the feedback guys.  50/50 tie right now so we'll see where the numbers go as the day progresses.  Most of the comments seem split as well - interesting.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur C Clarke

GenetixStudio
Superstar
I like it, but have only spent about an hour with it so far. The game does look and feel really good, although most of it's menus really show off the God Rays in the Rift. I need to spend more time with it to really say whether or not it is anything special, but you should definitely give it a play through!

Warbloke
Superstar

I don't get this at all. You claim to have loved space shooters for ages, and have Eve Valkyrie already downloaded... and rather than just click on it and play it for 10 minutes and decide for yourself if you enjoy it or not - you create a poll to see if people think you should?

Up to you of course... I personally just don't see the point waiting all day on poll results.

If the poll swings in favour of 'meh'... are you just going to delete the game and never try it ?

The Kilrathi would laugh in the face of such an unmotivated enemy !

"You can't believe everything you read on the Internet " :- Abraham Lincoln 

xWandererx
Heroic Explorer
Yeah have to agree with posters stop efin around play it an report back :smile: