cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Aroddo
Protege
Ok, my Rift just arrived and it installed without a problem.
This is actually the first time I ever used any modern VR device.

And the highly praised quality of the display is utter shit!

The whole 'screen' you see looks like you see it through fine wire netting.
Small Text is barely readable, because the resolution feels like an old CRT VGA display.

Imagine it like this: The text above fills your ENTIRE viewport. And not only is it pixelated - you also can effortlessly see that the white font is made up out of different colored lines! Think TV before they invented LC-Displays.

Oh, the 3D effect is top notch. But you might as well be using an iPhone 1 and view it from 10 cm away to get a feel for the perceived resolution.

NOTHING you see or read on the internet prepares you for how bad the display quality is.

Cancel your orders, then try it out first if you can, then either buy or wait for the next generation.
Don't be an idiot like me and buy on good faith.

220 REPLIES 220

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
So, despite all the reviews and everything, you're still expecting 4k resolution and are disappointed that your unrealistic expectations aren't met?

Oh dear.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Aroddo
Protege
oh yeah, blame me for expecting quality for € 700.
And no, I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

Strangely, this NEVER gets widely mentioned.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Whoever told you to buy on good faith ? You have to remember this is new. Many many posts on quality, it's a trade off mate
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

sparkie14
Expert Protege
Well i was happy with mine and the immersion is excellent.  Wouldn't go back to a monitor for gaming no way..
Sell it to someone who has had to wait and will enjoy it and not moan and try to cast their opinions on others.  Your ideas may differ than that of others but it doesn't give you the right to tell others to cancel..

Aroddo
Protege
Wait, so you are fine with that crappy display and expect others to follow your opinion, while denying me my right to voice mine? 
What do you have to gain from that?

Techy111
MVP
MVP
You have a right to complain mate but you DON'T have a right to tell others what to do !!!!
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Aroddo
Protege
Buddy, I can tell anyone anything I want. We're not living in Trumpistan. 
And no one has to do what I say.

I am warning people from an underreported quality issue.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Why did you buy it ? Who told you to buy it ? Did you research ? Did you have a DK1 or 2 ? Did you watch video's on youtube ? The answers to everything are there and not hidden. And I ain't your "buddy"