Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible - Page 5 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

Comments

• MorgenKellMorgenKell Posts: 107
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    I think it's a bit why Oculus is focused in games. For non interactive experiences I find that the graphics still lack precision for real "presence"
  • EtriusEtrius Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    You can actually double the visible resolution on the Oculus using the SDK. I tried it and it works. It looks great but you need the GPU horsepower to pull it off. The video below shows you how to do it using the  Oculus SDK 1.4. Very simple.
    You can set values from 1.0-2.0 (2.0=twice the resolution it ships with). The visual improvement is amazing, but unless you have a 980Ti or 1080 you will need to keep it to 1.25-1.4. See the video below for instructions. ADRIFT and Project Cars looks so much better. 

I was also bummed about the resolution of the Rift until I found this. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    edited June 2016
    @Aroddo - I think Oculus has sent you a DK1, so you need to create a support ticket asking for a CV1.
    Aroddo said:
    @Zenbane
    your screenshots look great. I wish it would look like that in virtual life.
    However, it actually looks more like this.

• mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    actually when you watch movies in the Rift, you really realize how bad the quality is.  For the most part, if you are in a REALLY good game you will overlook it.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Aroddo said:
    @dippaau
    we'll see.
    This post is a first time user impression, after all. It was written under shock.
    I'll give it a try when back from work and maybe order some contacts instead of glasses.
    Maybe some enjoyment can be found despite the abysmal graphic fidelity.

Try Farlands (free) or Eve Valkyrie (preorder bonus) if you haven't.

There are two effects at play, one being the screen door effect which is better in Rift than any other headset I've tried (DK1, DK2 and Vive), and the other is pixel density (again, better than DK1/DK2, though possibly the same as with the Vive).  Some games will look much better than others, with the two mentioned about being among the better looking.  Others can appear blurry because there's simply insufficient pixels available for the detail present (Defense Grid 2 VR and watching HD movies in VR, for instance).  Still others are great in concept, but really need another generation or two in HMD evolution to be truly realized (Virtual Desktop, for instance, due to the legibility of standard desktop fonts).
  • d0rkyd00dd0rkyd00d Posts: 4
    Aroddo:  Criticizes first generation product, compares it to Iphone 1, a first generation product, and then is upset when it does not look as good as fifth and sixth generation product.  *facepalm*
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,249 Valuable Player
    d0rkyd00d said:
    Aroddo:  Criticizes first generation product, compares it to Iphone 1, a first generation product, and then is upset when it does not look as good as fifth and sixth generation product.  *facepalm*
    And he also took a Photosho'd net pattern to someone else's perfectly innocent screenshot in order to make the odd comparisons appear valid.

It's a magical week!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • osyresosyres Posts: 27
    Brain Burst
    Aroddo said:
    oh yeah, blame me for expecting quality for € 700.
    And no, I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

Strangely, this NEVER gets widely mentioned.

lol u knew the res before so why u act like u are not prepared for the rift.... even luky palmer said screen door will be gone on 8k!!!! so ofcource u are to blame for ur expecting qualitys and noone else
  • Ricktor_BlackRicktor_Black Posts: 198
    Art3mis
    The OP makes me think something is wrong with your Rift.  First of all, I've never really seen the screen door effect.... I pretty much never see pixels when using the Rift.  Secondly, the resolution and quality may not be up to par with a 4K monitor or TV but I can't imagine anybody using my Rift and reacting the way you are about yours.  I've also never really had problems with reading text.  There have been times when it was a little fuzzy when I'm not looking straight at it, but it's always been readable.  Is it possible that you need glasses but you aren't wearing them in the Rift?  Something is definitely wrong because I was actually trying to set my expectations low... and I was pleasantly surprised with the image quality and how things looked.

My only real complaints about image quality come from the fact that I get a decent amount of fogging when I use my Rift, I probably need to get a fan for my desk (people say that helps).  Also, this might be related to fogging also, but sometimes the god rays / halo effect is fairly distracting at times.  For the most part it seems to be title screens though and usually when I'm playing a game it's not an issue.
  • GreymanGreyman Posts: 1,310
    Wintermute
    edited June 2016
    I would have thought, with your combined experience of the internet and the people that use it, you guys would have been able to spot a troll post by now.  Please stop feeding it.
  • steveoz32steveoz32 Posts: 350
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    This thread was going on forever but I get the OP's point.

I used a DK2, I expected there to be bad SDE, it was bad, not half as bad as the horrible narrow sweet spot and god awful problems for glasses users though, but it was a DEV KIT.

So I already kinda had my expectations set when I was waiting for CV1 when I saw the small increase in resolution.

However, when I received mine I kind of felt the same. The image quality wasn't great, not really the SDE as such as you get used to that and it is much better than previous generations (I hardly notice it now). But it was the crappy 'god rays' and smearing that really bothered me. I had read so much about them, but nothing can really prepare you for it until you see it through your own eyes.

I can understand for someone buying it as their first VR HMD in 2016 @ £500 that it might seem a bit shit in all honesty. And I questioned whether I wanted to keep it myself. In fact, I left it for two weeks sat around doing nothing whilst I was thinking of getting rid. But then I went back to it, and more content started coming, I found more stuff outside of the Oculus store I liked, and I just chilled out, had a beer and started having fun with it.

I guess it all depends on what you try and experience with it. For me I tried ED first and it was out of the question for me right away, the god rays and SDE ruin the detail, too much glare, the space stations look like a garbled mess as they are too detailed for the resolution and overall I just didn't enjoy it - I'd rather play it on triple screen. 360 videos were shite as were pictures, blurry, crap resolution and scale was way off, they all just look terrible. Some of the animations were meh, but then I started to explore more software and demos and started to get into it more. As I said, I just chilled out and got on with it instead of whinging and started having fun.

Now I love it. I only use it a few hours a week, but it's still cool and I can't wait for touch.

AltSpaceVR is fun as it VRTime for those drunken nights back from the pub lol.

There's all sorts to do and it will only get better.

So OP, it's the best of what we have now, and if you are old enough to remember which it sounds like you are, look back at this:

I pretty much remember 99% of the games in that, and remember how incredible I thought each was (I remember thinking DOOM for me looked real, and GFX couldn't get any better at that point in my life). You'll also remember those VR arcade games where you sat in a plastic space ship thing looking around and VERY SLOW and VERY Simple polygons that cost thousands back then.

Yes time has moved on, but now have a Stereoscopic 3D, light VR HMD that is comfy, with great audio, 6 DOF with accurate tracking, wireless controllers and to be fair great visuals (with the right game) in the comfort of our own home, we are actually spoilt for tech in this day and age and I am glad I have seen thing develop from the BBC computers, atari / spectrum right through to now.. Things will only get better. Have a beer, take some time out, sit back and enjoy the ride.
  • NipkimNipkim Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I purchased an Oculus Rift, it won't arrive until August, but I knew from reading on these boards that I shouldn't expect great quality, I've heard people say that when you go from the Rift to a real monitor it's like a graphics update to the game. But I bought the rift knowing all of that, just because I want to be totally immersed in a game and that doesn't bother me if I loose some video quality to get it.

You should just sell it right now while people are dying to get one, this is THE time to sell it, I imagine you might even make a profit from it if you sell to the right person I.E. desperate

Aroddo said:
    @Zenbane
    your screenshots look great. I wish it would look like that in virtual life.
    However, it actually looks more like this.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,399 Valuable Player
    Etrius said:
    You can actually double the visible resolution on the Oculus using the SDK. I tried it and it works. It looks great but you need the GPU horsepower to pull it off. The video below shows you how to do it using the  Oculus SDK 1.4. Very simple.
    You can set values from 1.0-2.0 (2.0=twice the resolution it ships with). The visual improvement is amazing, but unless you have a 980Ti or 1080 you will need to keep it to 1.25-1.4. See the video below for instructions. ADRIFT and Project Cars looks so much better. 

Does anyone know if this damages your CV1 in anyway?
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    Is it like this demo? http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/
    sde would not bother me if it like the above sitting 55cm away from monitor simulates cv1. The weird blurring when moving 'persistence' is not what i would expect & pretty awful. Also the AA is really bad in that demo & far more annoying than the sde for me. 
  • I'd say research what you are buying before you buy it.
    then you should have no problems.

I'm very fussy about seeing pixels when I play games also, but I kind of know what to expect with the rift, and it's one of the only options available at present, plus it doesn't strain the GPU as much as say a 1080p or 4k would.

That said, it supposed to be a pretty immersive experience all the same.
  • JCatJCat Posts: 132
    Art3mis
    Zenbane said:

Personally, I'm not disappointed with either the video nor audio, because I'm a "gamerphile" who started with the Atari 2600. For me, being part of gaming evolution and revolution is a glorious thing. The Oculus Rift could have shipped with the original Dungeon Master game...
    .. and I would be perfectly happy due to the immersion factor. Virtually Reality is finally, truly here, for the first time.
    Nailed it. I could be just as happy being chased around by blocky VR Robotron enemies as I would be exploring the world of Skyrim. I see similar debates on what should and shouldn't be VR game. For example, some say "Why is Lucky's Tale a VR game? That could have been a regular game to play on a monitor".  It's automatically assumed that we have to be walking around in first person for it to be considered VR.

Oh, and I truly miss the Dungeon Master days! I still remember that mummy's shriek. 
  • LuscaLusca Posts: 171
    Art3mis
    I'm pretty stoked for.VR but there's also good reason to wait, especially if you want a more refined VR experience.
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,240 Volunteer Moderator
    Must........feed..........troll.........nom nom
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Art3mis
    steveoz32 said:
    This thread was going on forever but I get the OP's point.

I used a DK2, I expected there to be bad SDE, it was bad, not half as bad as the horrible narrow sweet spot and god awful problems for glasses users though, but it was a DEV KIT.

So I already kinda had my expectations set when I was waiting for CV1 when I saw the small increase in resolution.

However, when I received mine I kind of felt the same. The image quality wasn't great, not really the SDE as such as you get used to that and it is much better than previous generations (I hardly notice it now). But it was the crappy 'god rays' and smearing that really bothered me. I had read so much about them, but nothing can really prepare you for it until you see it through your own eyes.

I can understand for someone buying it as their first VR HMD in 2016 @ £500 that it might seem a bit shit in all honesty. And I questioned whether I wanted to keep it myself. In fact, I left it for two weeks sat around doing nothing whilst I was thinking of getting rid. But then I went back to it, and more content started coming, I found more stuff outside of the Oculus store I liked, and I just chilled out, had a beer and started having fun with it.

I guess it all depends on what you try and experience with it. For me I tried ED first and it was out of the question for me right away, the god rays and SDE ruin the detail, too much glare, the space stations look like a garbled mess as they are too detailed for the resolution and overall I just didn't enjoy it - I'd rather play it on triple screen. 360 videos were shite as were pictures, blurry, crap resolution and scale was way off, they all just look terrible. Some of the animations were meh, but then I started to explore more software and demos and started to get into it more. As I said, I just chilled out and got on with it instead of whinging and started having fun.

Now I love it. I only use it a few hours a week, but it's still cool and I can't wait for touch.

AltSpaceVR is fun as it VRTime for those drunken nights back from the pub lol.

There's all sorts to do and it will only get better.

So OP, it's the best of what we have now, and if you are old enough to remember which it sounds like you are, look back at this:

I pretty much remember 99% of the games in that, and remember how incredible I thought each was (I remember thinking DOOM for me looked real, and GFX couldn't get any better at that point in my life). You'll also remember those VR arcade games where you sat in a plastic space ship thing looking around and VERY SLOW and VERY Simple polygons that cost thousands back then.

Yes time has moved on, but now have a Stereoscopic 3D, light VR HMD that is comfy, with great audio, 6 DOF with accurate tracking, wireless controllers and to be fair great visuals (with the right game) in the comfort of our own home, we are actually spoilt for tech in this day and age and I am glad I have seen thing develop from the BBC computers, atari / spectrum right through to now.. Things will only get better. Have a beer, take some time out, sit back and enjoy the ride.

This is the Story of my life Bro ;)
  • VetkinVetkin Posts: 111
    Art3mis
    Maybe try using the IPD slider on the underside of the HMD? The display is far from perfect but I have no trouble reading any of the text with my CV1. I don't wear glasses either, so maybe that makes a difference. The biggest disappointment for me is the FOV, but I'm not letting it ruin my experience. Its still impressive to me.

Greyman said:
    I would have thought, with your combined experience of the internet and the people that use it, you guys would have been able to spot a troll post by now.  Please stop feeding it.
    but...
    MorgenKell said:
    This is the Story of my life Bro ;)

... this is why feeding the trolls is healthy around these parts.

Over in other areas (e.g., reddit), the troll feeding process starts off as proverbial diarrhea and ends up as constipation. Around here, the trolls get tossed some acorns that were taking up too much space anyway, and then nostalgia coupled with fun fact/experienced -based conversation ensues. You know, intellectual entertainment and their expense. Much less TP is harmed.

• Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 367
    Trinity

Aroddo said:
    I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

...that has nothing to do with resolution and more to do with frames per second and scan lines...but ok then...
    Aroddo said:
    And in general: I wasn't kidding about the wire netting analogy. At no point does a picture look like it isn't viewed on an old TV from up close.

And yes, I tried an hmd before. maybe 20 years ago in a computer tech museum. It was hi-tech at that time.
    ...so you think that having screens less than an inch from your eye shouldn't look like there's screens less than an inch from your eye?... And you're basing all your expectations off of a 20 year old memory on tech that is laughable at best by today's standards?!

That's it, cant take this thread seriously. I'm out. Good luck with your endeavors, Aroddo.

• TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    lovethis said:
    Etrius said:

No.  It changes nothing on the rift.  "Double the visible resolution of the rift" is BS. It just increases the load on your GPU and CPU to render a higher resolution and then to cut that resolution down to feed to the rift.  It does not change the resolution of the rift in any way, but does have the effect of making the images look a little better.
    Art3mis
    Elite Dangerous need better GPU for 90 fps & Pixel Density x2, maybe a real second gen Headset but i'm sure it'll be still there in 2/3 years in full glory :)
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    steveoz32 said:

Watching this video is like walking down memory lane
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Elite Dangerous need better GPU for 90 fps & Pixel Density x2, maybe a real second gen Headset but i'm sure it'll be still there in 2/3 years in full glory :)
    Tried it at 2 last night...Super jittery...1.5...A bit less super jittery.  1.2, still really jittery.  Screw it, back to 0.  I *think* 2 looked better, but I think I'd need to see side by side to be sure it wasn't just my imagination.
  • AroddoAroddo Posts: 46
    Brain Burst
    Techy111 said:
    Must........feed..........troll.........nom nom
    I voiced a very legitimate deficit in a 700€ product. Your fanboyism does only make you a corporate tool, and it is thanks to you people that corporations might not feel enough pressure to improve their products because "hey, those loudmouthed idiots are happy, so let's put in a dualshock controller along the CV2 instead of improving the display.

Greenfire32 said:

...so you think that having screens less than an inch from your eye shouldn't look like there's screens less than an inch from your eye?... And you're basing all your expectations off of a 20 year old memory on tech that is laughable at best by today's standards?!

That's it, cant take this thread seriously. I'm out. Good luck with your endeavors, Aroddo.
    No, my first HMD was from 20 years ago, and this should btw. lower my expectations, don't you think? Yeah, I used virtual reality headsets with motion tracking far earlier than most of you, and thus I am in a much better position to judge how much better the tech has become.  
    And my latest VR prior to the Rift was Google Cardboard with a Samsung Galaxy4. Seriously enough for you?

And when I have two 1080×1200 displays less than an inch from my eyes, with a pixel density higher than a retina display, then yeah, I still expect a bloody good image, because I don't see pixels on my Macbook Retina when I'm looking from less than an inch away!!!

• Lemming1970Lemming1970 Posts: 681
    Neo
    TwoHedWlf said:
    lovethis said:
    Etrius said:

No.  It changes nothing on the rift.  "Double the visible resolution of the rift" is BS. It just increases the load on your GPU and CPU to render a higher resolution and then to cut that resolution down to feed to the rift.  It does not change the resolution of the rift in any way, but does have the effect of making the images look a little better.
    Correct, It's like super sampling, It does clean the image up though.
    Modded Coolermaster RC-1000 Cosmos/1000W Corsair HX Series
    i7 6700k o/c to 4.7ghz Corsair H100i water cooler.
    Zotac 1080Ti
    16 gb DDR4 o/c to 3000mhz
    Predator XB271HU 27" 2560x1440 IPS G-Sync 165Hz
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,240 Volunteer Moderator
    I do love being called a fanboy, makes me feel special :)
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

I love being called a White Knight, makes me feel buff and lengthy :o
This discussion has been closed.