Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible - Page 8 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Rift Display Quality: Horrible

1234568»

Comments

• dippaaudippaau Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    @Zenbane the personal attacks (love how you compare a common phrase aussies use to a Trumpism) are not required mate, drop it and get off your high horse. Provide constructive criticism and show tolerance towards those with differing opinions to you!
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,244 Volunteer Moderator
    Isn't the Aussie phrase "good on ya mate/cobber" LOL
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

• FlareMWFlareMW Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    I got my Rift this weekend and I must admit, I did feel a tad let down by the resolution at first but at the same time, I'm not really sure what I was expecting. I knew it was 1080p but I guess I misjudged how obvious the pixels would be once the image is so close to your face. This is something I haven't really seen brought up often on many sites and when you watch recorded video footage, VR game trailers, or see screenshots, it often ends up looking sharper than what you see on the headset itself so I get why someone might have higher expectations. 

For me personally, I find the resolution easy to look past once I'm actually in a game though so I don't think it's a big issue. Screen and graphics technology need time to improve anyway, it is going to be a while before we can get 4K/90Hz displays and the graphics cards to support them so I get why 1080p is the way forward for now. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,403 Valuable Player
    I'm not sure why everyone is talking about 4k because CV2 won't be 4k. They will steady improve resolution bit by bit and that will be the selling point.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,262 Valuable Player
    @TwoHedWlf - I have the GTX 980 and love the experience. But I also notice that I can't play Chronos on Epic graphic settings. If you have the option to upgrade I would go 1080.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • TwoHedWlfTwoHedWlf Posts: 2,234 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    @TwoHedWlf - I have the GTX 980 and love the experience. But I also notice that I can't play Chronos on Epic graphic settings. If you have the option to upgrade I would go 1080.
    Yeah, I think I will.  I'm slowly saving up for it.  My wife only gives me a $50/week allowance,  takes a little while to save up $1300.
  • maxpare79maxpare79 Posts: 1,779
    Project 2501
    Alright OP made his point and this thread is clearly going nowhere except starting to generate insults from one side to the other, I am closing it, and warning all of you guys to act like adults in future thread even when you disagree with someone. Also don't use words that you wouldn't want to read...We are a kid's friendly forum ;-) 
    I am a spacesim/flightsim/racesim enthusiast first :-) I7 4770k@4.3, 16gb RAM/ Asus 1080 Strix Former DK2 Owner/Gear VR owner/CV1
  • Robcart944Robcart944 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    Aroddo said:
    Oh yeah, that's another thing where the Rift sucks: If you wear glasses in the Rift, they immediately fog over. 
    I don't need my eyes examined again, but you clearly need a surgeon to remove your head from out of your arse.

Wow, what an ignoramus. He clearly is lacking in the technical progress of today's computers and their displays. There has been hundreds of sites talking about the expected resolutions and there has even been YouTube videos showing exactly what resolution you would be seeing through the lenses. You got exactly what the latest technology can give at this time and for the costs of early ownership.

To come on this forum Bitching about getting something he didn't do his homework on is just plain immaturity. He needs to go look in the mirror and go blame himself instead of trying to blame everybody else.
  • mbze430mbze430 Posts: 567
    Trinity
    steveoz32 said:

Watching this video is like walking down memory lane, damn I am old.
    i7-6900k @ 4.4ghz | Kingston Hyper 64GB DDR4 @ 3000mhz | SLI Nvidia Titan Xp | ASUS Strix Gaming X99 | Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe/NVMe | 3x Samsung Pro 850 512GB RAID0 | 2x Samsung Pro 850 1TB RAID1 | Corsair AX1500i | Custom Water Cooling | Thermaltake Core X5
  • Greenfire32Greenfire32 Posts: 367
    Trinity

Aroddo said:
    I was at best expecting SVGA and what I got is PAL/NTSC.

...that has nothing to do with resolution and more to do with frames per second and scan lines...but ok then...
    Aroddo said:
    And in general: I wasn't kidding about the wire netting analogy. At no point does a picture look like it isn't viewed on an old TV from up close.

And yes, I tried an hmd before. maybe 20 years ago in a computer tech museum. It was hi-tech at that time.
    ...so you think that having screens less than an inch from your eye shouldn't look like there's screens less than an inch from your eye?... And you're basing all your expectations off of a 20 year old memory on tech that is laughable at best by today's standards?!

That's it, cant take this thread seriously. I'm out. Good luck with your endeavors, Aroddo.

This discussion has been closed.