New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

F-Zero GX on Oculus Rift

biolizard89biolizard89 Posts: 6
edited April 2013 in Showcase
I've managed to get F-Zero GX to display at the Rift FOV/aspect (or at least close), with stereo 3D. No head tracking yet, but I'm hoping to implement that in the future. This is all using Ocarina codes on a Wii; Dolphin was not used. I don't yet have a Rift, but now I'm definitely looking forward to trying this on one.

F-Zero GX seems to handle the large FOV without any trouble, and not much geometry culling. The stereo separation is configurable; I'm not sure what the recommended value is for the Rift. You may notice that the HUD is gone... that's a result of the projection hack I did (I'll fix it later).

Requirements:
F-Zero GX
Nintendo Wii console (with Homebrew Channel and NeoGamma)
The Ocarina code which I will release at a later date
Low-latency capture card (I'm using the KWorld USB DVD Maker)
Windows PC with Stereoscopic Player
Oculus Rift

Here's a quick demo video I recorded. Let me know what you think....

Comments

• KuraIthysKuraIthys Posts: 259
    Brain Burst
    That's a pretty interesting accomplishment.

I'm surprised you can hack a Wii's 3d output to that extent though...
    Then again, from what I recall the gamecube was meant to have 3d output in the hardware but that never got used...
  • RajveerRajveer Posts: 73
    Hiro Protagonist
    Wow now that's impressive that you were able to do this on the Wii itself with just Ocarina codes!

It looks like the eyes are out of sync (alternative frames)? The Dolphin hack over at their forums shouldn't have this limitation right?
  • Rajveer wrote:
    Wow now that's impressive that you were able to do this on the Wii itself with just Ocarina codes!

It looks like the eyes are out of sync (alternative frames)? The Dolphin hack over at their forums shouldn't have this limitation right?
    Yes, right now the Wii is outputting frame-sequential 3D. So the eyes will be out of sync by 1 frame. It should be possible to implement side-by-side or top-bottom 3D in certain games by hijacking the multiplayer splitscreen modes, but that's quite a bit harder. Dolphin shouldn't have this issue (and will also have better resolution).

That said, the Dolphin hack messes with the camera matrix in a way that causes some games to cull geometry when you look off-center... the code I'm using shouldn't have that issue. Once I have head tracking fully working I will definitely collaborate with the Dolphin devs to get my code working within Dolphin so that we can have the best of both worlds.

As an aside, I'm not using any of the GameCube native 3D functionality that was removed. I'm basically hijacking the subroutines that set the camera matrices.
  • RichardRichard Posts: 3
    I almost threw up watching this in 2D, can't wait til the kit arrives :D