cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Form Factor Graphics Cards for DK2

Exeson
Honored Guest
Hey guys,

I'm currently conducting some research using VR and have hit a bit of a snag I was hoping to get some help with. I'm using a DK2 but the graphics card for the machine (Dell Optiplex 7020) I'm using it with is not up to scratch (the processor is an i7 and it has 16GB RAM so I'm fairly sure the rest of the specs are covered). I've been asked to look into slim form/small form graphics cards to possibly upgrade the machine but I know very little about graphics cards myself.

From this page (https://support.oculus.com/help/oculus/641494399323956/) I've followed up and figured it's possible with cards such as the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 Mini or the AMD R9 Nano. Now obviously there's a big difference in costs between the two, and I don't seem to be able to find much information about how other small form factor AMD cards (that might be slightly cheaper) would perform. Seeing as the current card in the machine I'm using is an AMD card I'm guessing it would be easier to stick to AMD.

However, What I've also read that the machine has limitations in terms of power supply, with people saying that without upgrading the power supply the best you can look at is a GTX 750 Ti. Now I know this is really not up to standard but I've read some people who have managed it with cards such as this with a DK2 on lower graphics settings. Given that the scene in VR I've made is fairly simple (think an empty room with a table, chair and then leap motion animated hands) is it possible I could get away with this?

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you guys knew some good resources/articles I could read to learn more about small form factor graphics cards for VR/DK2, or just graphics in general?

Also does anyone have any experiences with using small form factor graphics cards with a DK2?

Thanks 🙂

0 REPLIES 0