Is Chronos worth buying at the sale price? — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is Chronos worth buying at the sale price?

Wonder_BreadWonder_Bread Posts: 21
Brain Burst
How is the game? Worth the $40?

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,519 Valuable Player
    That feels like a loaded question lol

I think it's worth buying at $60, as it can be compared to similarly priced RPG's like "South Park: The Stick of Truth," which has received great acclaim yet caps out at around 12-15 hours of gameplay.

So if that sounds reasonable then hell yeah Chronos is worth $40. You not only get a fantastic RPG with fun combat strategies, amazing graphics, and definitive storytelling... but you also get pure VR immersion at its finest. Despite the 3rd person camera view, when your character is 1,000 feet in the air walking across a morphing sky bridge... the chances that your butt cheeks will be clenched is fairly high.

By the same token, there are posts on this forum from people who think that VR has started a horrible trend where games are priced similar to an Elder Scrolls title (Skyrim, Morrowind, etc) but without the hundreds of hours of content. So if you're one of those... you may regret the purchase.

My favorite thing to point out is that even on reddit, Chronos gets high praises, and they seem to hate nice things :o
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • rankinsectrankinsect Posts: 61
    Hiro Protagonist
    I thought it was well worth the $50 I paid for it.  I wouldn't hesitate at $40.

It's one of the best experiences in the Rift.
  • Keylo415Keylo415 Posts: 101
    Art3mis
    How is the game? Worth the $40?
    It's a must buy period!
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6
    Bought it on sale and played for about an hour thus far... it's amazing.  I'll be binge playing it along side Eve Valkyrie multiplayer as I have the time.

It's easily one of the best VR games I've tried on either Rift or Vive.
  • FlowrockFlowrock Posts: 36
    Brain Burst
    Bought it before the sale. Well worth the price. Tough game. You'll be playing for a while.
  • JettStilesJettStiles Posts: 175
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    Hate to be the the only one saying something against it but tbh I wasn't that impressed with Chronos (granted, I haven't completed it yet).

Doesn't quite feel like its worth the full price to me - feels a bit like the programmers thought "Hey, we have a mediocre game that noone would normally buy - lets make a VR version instead so it'll get sold."

I mean the graphics are clunky, the character movement reminds me a bit of the old 'Alone in Dark'-series and the RPG element has the complexity of a 'Tetris' clone. Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

Blame my strange taste but imo it wasn't worth the 50 bucks I spent.
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
    edited June 2016
    Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.

How could anyone know that if there isn't a non-VR version of the game that is sitting with 0$ in sales?  I can list a ton of games that are both mediocre and terrible yet sold more than 1 copy.

I can think of a few things that are worth criticizing in Chronos: such as the lack of skill tree which is essential in a true RPG; and the linear path the character must take (no major player choices). Those are just two examples of a more fact-based approach to criticism, as opposed to just a blanket claim that the game offers little more than a "tetris clone."

It kinda feels like you said, "hey, I have a mediocre approach to describing a game in a way that noone would normally read - I'll make a post instead so that it gets noticed." :*

Art3mis
    Zenbane said:
    How could anyone know that if there isn't a non-VR version of the game that is sitting with 0$ in sales?  I can list a ton of games that are both mediocre and terrible yet sold more than 1 copy.

It kinda feels like you said, "hey, I have a mediocre approach to describing a game in a way that noone would normally read - I'll make a post instead so that it gets noticed." :*

I don't claim to know that it won't sell - hey, if I could predict such things I'd be rich - but if you asked me for a guess: Yes, I do believe this game would be a shelfsitter (especially for the original price)

As for my intentions on the post above: The OP wanted to know if the game is worth buying. Instead of just saying "Nope" I stated a few reasons why it isn't.

Difference of opinion -- you don't have to like it :p
    Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 @ 3.40 Ghz -- Kingston Hyper X 8GB DDR3-1600 -- EVGA GTX980 ACX 2.0 -- Asus H97M-Plus -- Asus VG278H 120Hz 3D Monitor
    Since you didn't actually list any real reasons I figure you could use some examples to help you distinguish between "nope" and "reasons."  B)
  • IblysiIblysi Posts: 127
    Art3mis
    I was in the same boat as you. Wasn't really sure if i would like the game for the $40 price tag. But yesterday i went for it. Played it for about an hour or so and i really enjoyed it. It's a mix between Zelda and the Souls games. I would say have a look on Youtube for folks playing the game, to get some feel for it. If what you see you think you would like. Then i would say give it a go. Sadly the weekend is over otherwise i would be playing it right now :smile:
  • FrozenPeaFrozenPea Posts: 2,535 Valuable Player
    I bought it at $50 and have no regrets! Definitely one of the best games on the store at the moment! Personally i think it's a must have in the sale if you dont already have it :)
  • Wonder_BreadWonder_Bread Posts: 21
    Brain Burst
    I'm a huge fan of the souls games so this should be right up my alley then.
  • jonjon Posts: 297
    Nexus 6

I mean the graphics are clunky, the character movement reminds me a bit of the old 'Alone in Dark'-series and the RPG element has the complexity of a 'Tetris' clone. Noone would buy this game if it wasn't VR.
    Opinions are opinions, but this is a pretty specific criticism that runs directly against my own impression that it's one of the more graphically superior VR games out there right now.  Is it the graphical style or third person camera you dislike, or something else entirely?  As a comparison, what are a few VR games you find graphically superior to Chronos?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,740 Valuable Player
    JettStiles is correct in his reasoning that if this was a regular 2D game then it would be quite basic and not really much to write home about in terms of its core design. It certainly can't outdo games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls. However, its appeal lies in the fixed camera perspectives in VR which give it a much wider appeal, and quite frankly stands out because there's nothing else like it unless you class Herobound the same. I think its uniqueness pushes it to the fore and if there were more games like it then I wonder how it would fare. That said, being bowled over by its VR'ness does make it appear rather cool. I like it but haven't spent loads of time with it just yet.

In answer to the thread question then I would say yes, simply because this is all you've got right now in the action adventure category (EOT sounds more like it's stealth action adventure and isn't in the sale :) ).

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    Art3mis
    edited June 2016
    jon said:

Opinions are opinions, but this is a pretty specific criticism that runs directly against my own impression that it's one of the more graphically superior VR games out there right now.  Is it the graphical style or third person camera you dislike, or something else entirely?  As a comparison, what are a few VR games you find graphically superior to Chronos?
    It's the style - nothing against a third person view (Edge of Nowhere or Luckys Tale both use em and it's something that works very well in VR) - so yeah, I would have preferred a bit more eye-candy.
    I think the best way to describe the graphic style is rudimentary - you have the basics: A door, some torches on the wall, a lever here and there but it all looks so sterile. Of course I don't expect something like 'The Witcher 3' here - after all it's the beginning of VR gaming - but a bit more "life" would have been great.

As for graphically superior: Well, "The Climb" instantly springs to mind - so much going on in the world around you or "Subnautica" (same here...underwater world with very nice graphics).

Not sure it's a fair comparison though - "Chronos" is an Actionstyle-RPG so comparing it with "The Climb" or "Subnautica" is the old comparison between pears and apples but we were just looking at the graphics here.
    edited June 2016
    JettStiles is correct in his reasoning that if this was a regular 2D game then it would be quite basic and not really much to write home about in terms of its core design. It certainly can't outdo games like Bloodborne or Dark Souls.
    I agree with the last part of what you said, but the first part doesn't really address the original comment. There's a difference between saying something "won't do too well" vs "won't make a single sale." lol

you have the basics: A door, some torches on the wall, a lever here and there but it all looks so sterile. Of course I don't expect something like 'The Witcher 3' here - after all it's the beginning of VR gaming - but a bit more "life" would have been great.

There are games built around this concept entirely:
    2D games such as: Baldurs Gate, IceWind Dale, Pillars of Eternity, Legend of Grimrock (1 and 2), Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder.

As for graphically superior: Well, "The Climb" instantly springs to mind - so much going on in the world around you or "Subnautica" (same here...underwater world with very nice graphics).

Not sure it's a fair comparison though - "Chronos" is an Actionstyle-RPG so comparing it with "The Climb" or "Subnautica" is the old comparison between pears and apples but we were just looking at the graphics here.

I own both The Climb and Subnautica, and while the graphics in The Climb are crisp, and the graphis in Subnautica are unique... both are vastly inferior to Chronos. Not to mention that The Climb and Subnautica are incredibly redundant in their activities, moreso than Chronos by a wide margin. Earlier you compared Chronos to "Tetris" but then you listed 2 games that are much more similar to Tetris lol

Here are the screenshots I've shared from The Climb and Chronos, taken from my PC - I'm not seeing a drastic difference as you portray. And if I had to choose... Chronos seems to have the edge here lol

• lukwtwzlukwtwz Posts: 64
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited June 2016
    Zenbane said:

Here are the screenshots I've shared from The Climb and Chronos, taken from my PC - I'm not seeing a drastic difference as you portray. And if I had to choose... Chronos seems to have the edge here lol

Damn, I was hoping the Climb looked better than that. The store screenshots were amazingly rife with a wide range of up-close rock and foliage details that were highly resolved and practically in your face. Even the hands seemed rendered about as photo-realistically as one could hope for in a 1st-gen VR title from likes of Crytek. I guess I'll wait a while for it to drop.

As for the Chronos screenshot, I don't know how you did it. The dragon fills the whole screen. I'd have to crop to yield an image like that, but then I wouldn't be getting a real screenshot. 

edited June 2016
    I use Shadowplay in order to get screenshots. Which is why my Chronos picutres don't really do the game justice: the Shadowplay quality isn't as good as the actual imagery I see between my GTX 980 and my Rift. The dragon in that screenshot looks so much more vibrant in-game; although with the Climb I would say that my screenshot is pretty much on point with in-game visual quality.

When it comes to screenshots, I rarely take in to account what developers release since they are taken from developer machines. Even with the best PC spec's on the market, you really can't see a game the same way as someone who has the full developer suite and graphics engine library at their side.

I've posted this screenshot before, but it's still my favorite experience in the Climb. Being able to actually Zipline was pretty fk'in awesome:

If The Climb goes on sale then I highly recommend it.
  • jademanjademan Posts: 268
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
    I can think of a few things that are worth criticizing in Chronos: such as the lack of skill tree which is essential in a true RPG; and the linear path the character must take (no major player choices). 
    Yep, I really wish it had more depth in these regards, and I think Jett had a point too... There could be more Dark Souls-like depth overall, but as a game that was available Day 1, it is awesome. Sure though, I would love to see more character growth and puzzling twists etc in Chronos 2.0 - and would buy it right away at full-price.

Yes - buy the game! It should definitely be in every VR player's library, especially if you liked the Souls games.
  • SerVitorSerVitor Posts: 122
    Art3mis
    the graphis in Subnautica are unique... both are vastly inferior to Chronos

wow  :o   I defy you to find better water textures in any VR game than you will find in Subnautica.  Graphics are rich, detailed and very immersive 

and Subnautica are incredibly redundant in their activities, moreso than Chronos by a wide margin.                                     :open_mouth:

Redundant? Thats an odd statement considering the range of stuff you can do in Subnautica (ton of exploring, crafting, creating your own base, submarines, etc 

i5-4690k 16 gig Ram Win 7 64bit 8 gig ZOTAC AMP EDITION GTX1080
  • blanesblanes Posts: 1,088
    3Jane
    On a slightly different note - can anyone here tell me is Herobound Spirit Champion a compelling adventure style fun game ?  I had read it compared to being a cut down version of Chronos in that it is about same length though the gfx I guess are not so good.

I do not have the cash to splash on Chronos right now but Herobound it very affordable.
  • AnotherCrazyCanadianAnotherCrazyCanadian Posts: 321
    Nexus 6
    Zenbane said:
     Despite the 3rd person camera view, when your character is 1,000 feet in the air walking across a morphing sky bridge... the chances that your butt cheeks will be clenched is fairly high.

You have me sold sir. I'll start playing immediately!
    Facebook bought Instagram. How exactly did they ruin them?